OATW Match Play - 2024 Edition - Rules post 1864 and in the spreadsheet

Personal update: The shoulder is feeling much better. Played my first round back last week and fired a 74 at sleepy Rolling Meadows in Marysville without a driver in the bag. Definitely a honeymoon/stranger-phase.

Looking forward to competing against y’all in the matchplay next year.

3 Likes

OR you’ve cracked the code and the driver is just going to be a memory from now on. Glad to hear you’re functional again though.

2 Likes

Could also be true. This 5 year old 3 wood off every tee > a new driver.

3 Likes

Nippfest 2022 with @UncleDrew was a raging success. With him in Sylvania and me in Cincinnati, logistics were not in our favor, especially because the halfway point is checks notes the middle of nowhere. With the clock running down and questionable weather looming, we did our own research to find some good old-fashioned muni golf near Dayton and stumbled upon Community Golf. Not one, but TWO courses designed by the Nipp God himself, Nipper Campbell. You may know him from another little project down the street, Moraine CC. When I got off the highway, I looked at my GPS and saw an alternate route to drive by Moraine and I seized the opportunity to get a glimpse of one of my favorite courses.

As I drove down Southern Blvd, I reminisced about why I love Moraine so much- the routing up the hill and back on each nine, the elevation changes that made you think about shots beyond the yardage, and the sight lines throughout the course that allow you to see at least three other holes at any given time.

Before I knew it, the road had ended and I was pulling into the Community Golf parking lot. I could see a massive hill dominating the backdrop of the clubhouse and the deja vu began to set in. As I walked in, I could see more and more similarities- it was the same topography, wide open and bunkering was limited yet deliberate. Nipper was on a tear.

All of this was confirmed throughout the round. Nipper had a real knack for using the undulation to create semi-blind shots if you are out of position and building some tricky greens. Aside from a few holes on the back, it was everything you could ask for from a muni. This course was Moraine Lite in the best way.

Conditions were…questionable. We had storms looming all day so the sky was pretty dark but it was somehow still bright? It was also humid as fuck. My shirt was soaked and it looked like I had swamp ass, but it wasn’t from sweat. We did avoid the storms though so it was a win overall.

Before we talk about the round itself, let’s make one thing clear: @UncleDrew is a certified stick. He bombs drives, hits crispy irons and is never out of a hole. I am truly terrified of what his game looks like when he is fully dialed in.

When I left the course, I called the Dayton PD to report myself for involuntary manslaughter and gave the location of the body (17th green). The Dayton Daily News confirmed that his passing will be reported as death by buzzsaw.

I won the first hole straight up with a par and then put my strokes to work. My game was uncharacteristically consistent: my fade off the tee was under control, I was hitting my irons well and I just wasn’t getting myself in trouble. Although I wasn’t scoring, pars and bogeys were enough to halve holes and occasionally win. For Drew, he needed birdies to win holes, and the greens just did not do him any favors.

Knowing that we would play 18 straight up, Drew admitted on 16 tee (he was 1down) that he was holding on for dear life and just needed to make it to 18. We halved 16 and both had GIRs on 17. Pin was in the front, Drew was about 6 feet out and I had a gnarly downhill out from the back.I couldn’t read the putt, changed my line at least twice, then gave it a tap and left it in God’s hands. The pace was perfect and Drew gave me the par putt. Drew’s putt wasn’t much easier, downhill with a good amount of break- testy, to say the least. He gave it a good run but it just didn’t drop. Match was won 2&1 and we had a relaxing finish on 18 (not that it matters but I had a spicy tap-in bird).

For those wondering- yes, I posted my score in GHIN.

15 Likes

I’m glad you enjoyed the only true Dayton muni left, and congrats on the win. That area of Kettering is golf nirvana. You can basically throw a rock and have it land on NCR, Moraine, Dayton Country Club, OR Community.

6 Likes

I’m really freaking glad the OATW Matchplay final is next weekend and not this weekend. A lot of rain and storms coming through Dayton this weekend.

Really looking forward to getting out to Moraine with @Browcoww77 and @methridge for the Final next Sunday.

4 Likes

Good Morning OATW and all others reading this post. On Sunday 9/11 our two finalists @Browcoww77 and @methridge will take part in the first annual THE Ohio State Match Play Championship match. To the winner goes the bragging rights, but also, most importantly, an amazing Moraine CC flag that’s been made into a trophy headcover by @Geaugolf!

In order to whet everyone’s whistle and maybe provide a fun way to help everyone else choose a rooting interest I had the competitors fill out a brief questionnaire. Their responses will be posted below. Cannot wait to have this final take place!

First up - @Browcoww77’s responses since he was the first to respond.

Q: 1. Please send a photo you’d like included in this “media guide”. Funny would be good. Action shot is fine. How do you want to be represented?
A:

Q: Lowest Round ever.
A: 69 (Nice)

Q: Favorite club in your bag
A: The putter if we’re vibing that day, but my 60 degree is probably my best weapon

Q: Least favorite club in your bag
A: The putter if we aren’t vibing that day

Q: What club are you using if you’ve got 163 into a 10 yard headwind but downhill about 5 yards over water?
A:Knock Down 7 iron

Q: Favorite Dairy Queen blizzard mixer?
A: Oreo Mocha Fudge

Q: What song gets you the opposite of hyped?
A: I already hate that “Corn” meme song thats all over instagram right now.

Q: In the Trolly Problem, do you pull the lever?
A: Yes

Q: Do gimmies exist in golf?
A: Yes. If your group makes everyone hit 18 cups for your Saturday morning game, I probably don’t want to play with you. Just don’t be a scumbag.

Q: Are birds real?
A: Yes

Q: What’s your favorite piece of NLU merch you own?
A: The push cart mafia t-shirt always gets lots of compliments.

Q: Would you rather fold laundry, or wash dishes?
A: Laundry 100%

Q: Which NLU content creator is your favorite?
A: Neil or Tron always provide great content.

Q: Please break down your pre-round warmup routine in excruciating detail.
A: I’m typically the first group off for the day during the summer, so just a few chips and lag putts to get a feel for the speed of the greens. If the range has some free balls maybe I’ll take some swings.

Q: Are you going to win the Final?
A: I’m just hoping not to take an 11 on the 4th hole this go around Moraine.

9 Likes

And now the responses from @methridge.

Q: Please send a photo you’d like included in this “media guide”. Funny would be good. Action shot is fine. How do you want to be represented?
A:

Q: Lowest ever round for 18 holes.
A: 79

Q: Favorite club in your bag
A: 5 Wood (Tashtego)

Q: Least favorite club in your bag
A: 60°

Q: What club are you using if you’ve got 163 into a 10 yard headwind but downhill about 5 yards over water?
A: Smooth 4H

Q: Favorite Dairy Queen blizzard mixer?
A: Oreos

Q: What song gets you the opposite of hyped?
A: Darius Rucker’s cover of Wagon Wheel. He should be doing time for that atrocity.

Q: In the Trolly Problem, do you pull the lever?
A: Every time.

Q: Do gimmies exist in golf?
A: Gimmies are a social construct.

Q: Are birds real?
A: Not a chance.

Q: What’s your favorite piece of NLU merch you own?
A: Maxamania t shirt

Q: Would you rather fold laundry, or wash dishes?
A: Fold laundry. I hate washing dishes that other people have used.

Q: Which NLU content creator is your favorite?
A: Laz

Q Please break down your pre-round warmup routine in excruciating detail.
A:

• Homemade breakfast burrito with single origin pourover
  • Tunes to get the blood pumping (high school emo throwbacks, Run The Jewels, or whatever I’m feeling that day)
  • PRS
  • Change shoes in the parking lot
  • Check and replenish balls
  • Load my right pocket with divot tool, ball markers and club brush
  • 7 iron braced on my back and twist a few times
  • Full shots, half shots, pitches
  • Short putts and a few lag putts
  • Chip from varying distances and lies
  • Set up Arccos

Q: Are you going to win the Final?
A: I’m not here to lose.

10 Likes

@Browcoww77 where is the orange?

3 Likes

Fuck. I was firmly in my boy from NEO’s corner, but this response has me thinking. Hope you guys get perfect weather and have a blast.

5 Likes

This entire thing makes me happy - good luck to our competitors. Have to go with the hometown NEO gui @Browcoww77 but there are no winners or losers in this battle

3 Likes

@methridge 's slow and steady pace will prevail. Just stay in your lane and keep the pressure up!

3 Likes

Good luck to both participants. I hope you both have fun and enjoy a cold beverage when it’s all said and done.

2 Likes

I for one, would like to see the commissioner (@golf4miami ) get involved with picking the tee boxes for the participants to create some #intrigue.

Tee off from the left tee box on 3 to set up a new angle? Play 7 up so that it’s drivable? Play 12 way back so it’s a par 3.5? Go to the tips on 14 so it’s a 4.5 par? Play 15 from the very top tee box for the views/pictures? Some potentially provocative stuff out there.

6 Likes

I’ve never agreed with a take more. OCMS or nothing.

6 Likes

The commish would love that, but the contestants have already picked out their tees so I’m not going to step on their toes.

I might suggest they play 7 up though when we get there.

1 Like

Will there be a livestream? I’ll be driving back from the Sandhills and need some entertainment before the Browns play.

4 Likes

I’m planning on doing LIVE updates to this thread with video and images as much as possible.

Also plan on sliding @jgolf1 some stuff to put up on insta if he is available.

5 Likes

Mike is the keeper of the insta

3 Likes

Well then damn. He will be too busy playing.

1 Like