NSFW: Show me your putter

9 Likes

Goodness gracious holy toe flow. Thing is a beauty. I also would be interesting in seeing peoples headcovers…am I a golf sociopath? Probably.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Love that setup. The California series is so saucy, I play the Sonoma with the gold finish.

I literally have 7 ebay tabs open right now, looking at these. Are you in love? What is she like?
I have an older Bettinardi - Mizuno putter, and considering a fresh look.

1 Like

That would make me one too. If I weren’t in the office I’d post actual photos, but this will do for my setup.

Scotty
ScottyDog

3 Likes

That gold finish :drooling_face:

IMO Scotty in no way makes the best putters as I would argue there is a real 3-4 way tie for that, but the mixing and matching they do with finishes is unparalleled.

1 Like

In the market, give me your run-down.

Another Scotty California here.

2 Likes

I love it. It’s sort of like catching a pure forged iron, muted but crisp.

Much like how Rolls Royce describes their 620+ hp V12 as having “adequate” power, the response and feel of the putter is “adequate”.

1 Like

I’ve had this Kevin Burns 9303SN since the early 2000’s, and it always finds a way to get back in the bag. IIRC, Olazabal won the Masters with a similar model.

3 Likes

whats your preferred head & neck style?

1 Like

In no order whatsoever

Odyssey (Especially now that they have Toulon)
Scotty
Bettinardi
Evnroll

And an underrated brand for putters is Taylormade. I don’t like the way their products look for the most part, but their putters are beautiful and I really like the inserts they use. The Spider Tour putter is very good looking IMO, but the Spider X, mini, etc. can all suck it.

Also SeeMore is a little funky but they set up and roll nicely.

This is the real question I should have asked before going off on my little tear :sweat_smile:

I have always putted with more of a face-balanced mallet. I feel like the face-balanced allows me to get my eyes over top of it a little easier. I think I would adapt to a blade pretty easy, although I do like the blades that have a bit more ‘meat’ on the backside.

With all boutique and artisanal putter makers now, Scotty’s are a bit stock in my opinion. That’s not to say they don’t make excellent putters, but they’re not special in the same way that a Lamb, Swag, Piretti, Black Lab, Byron Morgan, etc is.

3 Likes

Treated myself to a Ping Anser before Christmas. Particularly wanted the copper for a retro feel. I’m a sucker for retro looking stuff.

Wish Ping would re-do the Eye 2 Irons, or at least have similar looking irons out in a copper finish.

Anyway, still love the putter & plan for it to stay in the bag for a long time.

8 Likes

I also have this Ping Anser G2. At the course I worked at in college, we did a lottery at the end of the season to pull stuff out of the lost and found that went unclaimed after 6 months. I took this with the first overall pick.

Repainted it over the summer when I had a little too much Ryder Cup fever. If it’s yours, i’ll be happy to return it.

3 Likes

I made the switch to the Taylormade Ardmore 3 Black Copper last year after getting fit for it. My first dip into Mallet Life and can say i havent looked back. @HoselAdjacent is correct their insert i think is the top one on the market for sure half the time i even forget it is an insert. I agree with hist list for stock makers outside of Evnroll but thats more of a personal thing as the face just felt so dead to me i couldnt get along with it at all.

For something of a deal look on Callaway’s Preowned site as they always have Odyssey available maybe the 1W with the double bend shaft

If you want real old school style but could cost a pretty penny track down a Scotty Teryllium Newport 2 Long Neck balde style with more of a face balance feel.

2 Likes

I’ve posted this elsewhere here before but here we are. Scotty Pro Platinum Newport Mid Slant, had refinished in black oxide and finished with a custom Seamus black Hiwahiwa putter cover with magnetic closure instead of Velcro.

And yes, the headcover cost more than the putter did pre-refinishing. And I don’t regret it one bit.

11 Likes