None of Us Can Breathe

And instead of turning their anger to the conservative politicians–or the corporations and executives those politicians sold them out to–they direct it at POC while continuing to vote against their own self-interest because they’ve been sold a lie about capitalism and liberty.

AMERICA IS NUMBERFUCKINGONE

6 Likes

Indeed.

There’s another line from the article that really hit me because I’ve heard variations of this argument from people I know very well (and am now quite disappointed in):

If there hadn’t been a protest, the reasoning goes, there wouldn’t have been a problem, and everything in Bethel would’ve been like it always has been: just fine.

People are in the streets daily because things are not okay.

We can no longer deny that structural problems exist within our society in terms of the way people of color are treated and that economic power has been stolen from workers and concentrated into the hands of a few, many of whom are happy to see a pandemic wipe millions of people from the planet.

4 Likes

This is why i get so aggravated when people try to equate the responses to the mask protests with those to the BLM protests. Here’s the difference:

• I’m angry that people protests masks because it’s foolish and a risk to public health.
  • The folks that are mad about the BLM protests are only mad because they themselves are racist.
1 Like

This is also the line of thinking I’m seeing become more prevalent from certain groups who want this all to just go away. I’ve seen or heard variations of this statement increase over the last week,

“I’ve never oppressed POC, so why is everyone mad at me and my race. Slavery ended a long time ago”
“The monuments and statues are just history, it’s not how we feel now, so why tear them down?”
“The quicker we move on, the quicker we can make things better.”

It’s the type of ignorance, and lack of empathy that continues to perpetuate the entire cycle.

6 Likes

Nice to see that this thread is back on the appropriate path!

3 Likes

Friendly reminder to everyone on this thread:

The gang playing in Nebraska next weekend are making pledges for NET birdies over the course of the weekend. Calling it Birdies for BLM. @aannddyy00 is going to get all the money we make into the hands of a solid organization that’s down for the cause. Most, if not all, of us have bet on ourselves, but we’re open to outside pledges as well!

Link to the spreadsheet to get your name in for outside donations is at the bottom of the first post here!

We’re not all great at golf, but we’ve got a chance on the net birdie front. Let’s raise some cash! FWIW, I’m doubling my contributions for a standard birdie or net eagle, and tripling if I happen into an real deal eagle.

12 Likes

Bethel is not far from me, just outside Cincinnati.

1 Like

“Mayhem, racism, and anger does not describe this village in any way,” Village Council member Bryan Coogan told me in an email. “I have lived all over this great country and moved to Bethel to stay away from just the sort of stuff I just described.”

sounds like white flight to me

1 Like

Honestly, reading that article, it reminded me of the little bit of time I spent in Mississippi. Both have the spirit of racism all over them whether the white people realize it or not. And, it’s a significant reason why the places are doing poorly in my opinion.

1 Like

You’re not wrong. Encouraging poor white people to be racist towards poor black people is a great way to keep all of them poor.

3 Likes

I had a non-eloquent response typed up trying to convey what I feel about this, and this all captured it much better than me. It’s a real issue that the rural areas of middle america are horrifyingly racist, and we’re just uncovering the depth of it now that race is the foreground of a national question.

6 Likes

The area of PA that I grew up in was a hotspot of Klan activity in the earlyearly-bird 1900’s. Everyone wants to ignore it as the area has become somewhat more diverse, but the proof is still there both overtly and under the surface. Take Northampton HS, for example. One town over from the town that I grew up in (Nazareth). Concrete was a big industry in both towns. Northampton’s nickname is the KonKrete Kids. Notice how that is spelled. What’s the logic behind that? To be “different?” Please. How many other schools do you know of that have the nickname Concrete Kids?

It’s the same story in the area of Central PA where I live now. Our school colors are Orange & Black. We have “teams” of students/teachers in the school. In our grade level the team names were Cougar Black and Cougar Orange. We added a 3rd team, so we thought it would make sense to make that team “Cougar White.” Nope, administration was concerned that too many parents would either request their student be on that team or at least request that they not be on the “black” team because of the “negative connotation.”

Good article highlighting many of the problems in policing in America and why it is almost impossible to change the culture in police departments. Policing is fundamentally broken and will require drastic steps to change for the better.

The ideology holds that the world is a profoundly dangerous place: Officers are conditioned to see themselves as constantly in danger and that the only way to guarantee survival is to dominate the citizens they’re supposed to protect. The police believe they’re alone in this fight; police ideology holds that officers are under siege by criminals and are not understood or respected by the broader citizenry. These beliefs, combined with widely held racial stereotypes, push officers toward violent and racist behavior during intense and stressful street interactions.

Because officers are hyper-attuned to the risks of attacks, they tend to believe that they must always be prepared to use force against them — sometimes even disproportionate force. Many officers believe that, if they are humiliated or undermined by a civilian, that civilian might be more willing to physically threaten them.

Since the George Floyd protests began, police have tear-gassed protesters in 100 different US cities. This is not an accident or the result of behaviors by a few bad apples. Instead, it reflects the fact that officers see themselves as at war — and the protesters as the enemies.

7 Likes

This is just so wonderfully succinct:

6 Likes

My wife and I talk about moving out of Central PA for some of these exact reasons. But between the response to the protests and the way different areas have handled the pandemic, it’s become clear some of the areas we had considered are out as well. Things aren’t great here, but overall they aren’t that bad.

1 Like

When I first came to the Lehigh Valley in the late 1990s, I ran across that HS mascot/nickname pretty quickly and could not believe they actually spelled “Concrete Kids” with 3 K’S like that. Even more unbelievable is that they haven’t bothered to change it since then. Northampton’s population is darn near 100% white, FWIW.

1 Like

God damn. All of this bummed me out.

1 Like

Fantastic article.

The guy mentioned in the first paragraph was a professor at WVU Law and left because he married a student. Glad to see he’s doing well. I like the points he’s making, anyway.

2 Likes

It’s depressing, for sure. It’s an uphill fight in lots of places- some even more so than others. Outside of Philly and maybe Pittsburgh (I am not a Western PA gui, so not too knowledgeable about that area) PA is one of those places where it’s very uphill.

I might be wrong, but I feel like at some point in the 90’s it was voted top HS nickname in the country by SI. If not #1, it was pretty high on the list. Just pure face palm stuff.