NLU Golf Resort

Didn’t know quite where to put this.

Theoretical exercise - what if NLU and Refuge community was going to create the perfect golf resort. We decided to go Mike Keiser and create a true golf destination.

1. Where would it go? Anywhere in North America, let’s say. Any cool unknown places that would be great for this? why? Show a map.
  2. What would be the composition of courses?
  3. Who would design the courses?
  4. What kind of features would the resort have in terms of accommodation, food?
  5. What would make it a reflection of NLU and the Refuge Community?
3 Likes

Chambers Bay with the Fyre Fest tents.

54 Likes
  1. Pinehurst area
  2. Courses that can be played backwards or in multiple combinations. At least 36 holes.
  3. The design would be crowdsourced with an architect brought in to make it work.
  4. Glamping huts. Detroit Pizza and tacos
  5. All would be welcome, except assholes.
18 Likes
  1. NW Nebraska (queue @Lazstradamus’s sand concentration map).

2. 2 big boy courses. A shorter 18 holer (par 68ish) and a short course.

3. Hanse and King-Collins collaborate on the short course. Hanse on one of the big courses and KC on the shorter course. Someone I’ve never heard of (ala DMK at Bandon) on the other full-sized course.

4. Honestly, doubt you can do much better than Bandon/Keiser for management.

5. A special forces training area which will help hone your golf game and possibly destroy your back and knees.

I suspect this idea is unworkable because of maintenance issues on the tees and moreso routing issues. But I’d love to see a course where a couple of the holes can be changed from a par 3 to 4. Or 4 to 5 depending on the day. So a course could play as a par 75 one day and 66 the next. Would also cause terribly long, non-golfing walks I suppose. But judging by what I’ve heard of the sandhills of Nebraska, if it could work anywhere, it could work there.

14 Likes

I’d like to bring world class, affordable and accessible golf home to Utah.

62 Likes
  1. Somewhere not near Bandon, Sand Valley, Cabot, Streamsong. Let’s say lakeside somewhere in interior British Columbia, or say somewhere near Reno in a deserty locale.
  2. I would do two 18 hole courses. One nine hole route (27 is perfect for a day as @soly says) and a true mini golf course. It would be great to be lakeside, so there is something else to do like go for a swim, boating.
  3. One 18 by King-Collins, One 18 by a total unknown up and comer. 9 holes by Doak (with lights)
  4. Mostly huts, with a central food and beer hall. No “clubhouses”. I would make it all-inclusive. You pay to stay, play, eat and drink. Do as much of any one of those activities in your day as you like. Say $400/day
  5. Tron wine bar. Big Randy nap area. Push carts only.
14 Likes

I think Utah or Nevada would be awesome.

1 Like

Way into this idea. In the Selkirks or Kootenays. One links Course along the water, winds off the west. Massively undulating Fjordal Mountain course. Mountain style cabins. Heli-skiing in the winter. I will go to Revelstoke/Kelowna/Nelson any flipping day of the week.

Done and done.

8 Likes

I am out on the Detroit tacos. I don’t trust tacos north of the red river

6 Likes

Regular tacos.

2 Likes

Mostly huts, with a central food and beer hall. No “clubhouses”. I would make it all-inclusive . You pay to stay, play, eat and drink. Do as much of any one of those activities in your day as you like. Say $400/day

I love this. Probably needs to be more like $600/day if you include housing I suspect (I’m ignorant on these subjects).

2 Likes

KemperSports manages Bandon (and Sand Valley and Streamsong and Chambers Bay and more).

Way, way in on this!

1 Like

I always thought Columbia Lake in the East Kootenays would be sick. Still a fair amount of civilization around (and other golf options). It’s very sandy on the shores of the lake, quite mountainous around. Or similarly, the southern part of Lake Windermere just to the north.

3 Likes
  1. 17-mile drive (pebble beach, cypress point, spyglass hill, etc)
  2. 6 best holes from spyglass cypress and pebble
  3. Gil Hanse
  4. strapped style the place has to be 50 dollars or under a night
  5. NO SCUMBAGS and that’s it
2 Likes

Love the ‘NO SCUMBANGS’ mostly for how it works logistically. The resort putS up a sign Bethpage Black stylie and because golf is the most honourable of sports you’d watch guys from your group walking away, head held low and you’d be like, “I’m glad you at least realize it, Chaz”.

5 Likes

Importantly. In close proximity to Panorama.

1. Anywhere in the southeast U.S, because I would like to play year round. Excluding anything north of mason-Dixon. Also, excluding Florida because Florida.
  2. @Double_Bogey_Dave hit it on the head. Reversible course like the Loop, shout out EAL. And a cheap short course because you got hours to burn during destination golf.
    The Loop
  3. Someone now one has heard off because you got to give the new guys a shot. Advised by by Doak and Hanse.
  4. Distillery focusing on rum. Because Rum is not getting its time to shine. Accommodations are a campground, RV park, and 50s style motel (think Melrose place) because everyone is welcome.
  5. Anyone is welcome but there are discounts for people with half sets, pull carts, and custom artistic clubs. Also there is a timer on each green that you start when the first guy tees off. Pace of play is important and the the refuge vain it is self policed.
2 Likes

Very much enjoying some of the responses in here.

2 Likes

Where would it go? Anywhere in North America, let’s say. Any cool unknown places that would be great for this?

Utah. Or if that didn’t work, Southeast somewhere.

What would be the composition of courses?

18 designated but with hundreds of cross country holes

Who would design the courses?

Rob Collins

What kind of features would the resort have in terms of accommodation, food?

What?

What would make it a reflection of NLU and the Refuge Community?

Sick merch.

2 Likes
  1. What kind of features would the resort have in terms of accommodation, food?
  2. What would make it a reflection of NLU and the Refuge Community?

Where
Wherever we can find sandy soil and have the ability to play, walking, for 9+ months a year.

Composition
As many have said, a short course is a must and then something like the Himalayas, Thistle Dhu, and Drumlin putting course. As far as the main course, I’m going to go a bit different. It should be something like a supersized Sweeten’s. Something like 27 standard holes, but those holes need to be blended together to the point where we can change the routing to our liking for those evening rounds.

Designer
K-C or Dan Hixson would jump to mind, but if there’s someone young who has worked under one of the big names trying to make it on their own, I’d be willing to entertain them.

Resort Amenities/Reflection of NLU
I’m putting these together, as I think they go hand in hand. The place needs to be fun. Not just the golf, but everything. Places to hang out, be it around campfires at night, in a bar with a game on in the background, etc. Variety of food, but it should be simple, we aren’t there for Michelin stars, we’re there for the golf and camaraderie. As far as rooms, I would pick cabins, some with common areas for groups, others just split up like typical hotel rooms.