My Last Round- John Barton

If you are anything like me, you despise Golf Digest and its hollow, pseudo-fan analytics and ridiculous “Hit Your Drive 400 Yards!” headlines. However, you (and I) are probably ridiculously enamored with the game of golf and will read even its superfluous and mind-numbing coverage, and thus are still subscribed to GD like me. I still leaf through every month and tell myself that, “You’re better than this!” and battle with frustration. This month was different. On page 88 and 89 of the May 2018 issue, I read the essay My Last Round by ex-executive-editor John Barton. It details his life in golf and his battle with Parkinson’s. I won’t spoil it, but I implore anyone who subscribes against their better knowledge to read it- it is a true masterpiece of what golf is: something so much bigger than we will ever know.

P.S. I wish they would make a digital copy available on their website, but let’s be honest they won’t because they’re golf digest.

Great read. It’s dusty in here…

I eat my words!

Here is the link: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/my-last-round

Enjoy

Man, that was very good.

That just about knocked the wind out of me.

Great piece. Yeah GD is really terrible magazine (this piece as good) and the amount of bad teaching advice is mind numbing. You can literately turn the page and getting contradicting advice on the golf swing it’s like the people who run it have no idea about golf.

I have mentioned this article to several people-some non golfers. Although he had to stop playing he stopped on top. I prefer to believe he has only stopped playing the game- he hasn’t quit the game.

Finally got around to reading this tonight. Can’t believe it took me this long. That was great, I have great admiration for the depth of inner peace this gentlemen has obtained.

“You can let the loved ones go but keep the love.”

With only a few more sentences left in Barton’s article, I had to stop and wipe my eyes after this sentence. I lost my dad last October when he was 94. He was a PGA professional and my love of golf came from him. In his 80s and 90s, he got so frustrated with his golf game — he practiced every day — that he threatened to stop playing. But after a practice session or a round with friends, he’d say, “I think I found something that will work.” And we would play and he’d shoot 80-something. Or less. I miss him every day.
RIP Joe Cannon