Miguel Angel Jimenez Supports a 10 Club Limit -- Your Thoughts?

I have been on board with reducing the club limit from the ludicrously inflated number of 14 for years now. Since the advent of the atrocity that is the modern ball, the game should do everything in its power to promote creativity. Allowing 14 clubs is such a sickening way of coddling the lazy golfer who wants to go out and swing without any thought. There is relatively little need to manufacture a shot on most mundane modern courses with modern equipment. From a course standpoint, width combined with firm, undulating greens and short grass runoffs provides the necessary ingredient for interesting golf. If you could fuse that with a ball that actually spins and an 8-9 club limit (10 is still a little high) you have a winning formula for dynamic and fascinating golf. Of course, none of this will happen and we will be stuck with the watered-down version of a great game that we witness on television every weekend (if we have absolutely nothing else better to do).

From another point of view, reducing the club limit to 8 or 9 will encourage more people to walk, which is another huge benefit for the game and for those of us into golf course architecture.

4 Likes

In total agreement Eric. Must say - I wasn’t sure we’d have that much common ground! But we do :slightly_smiling_face:

On the topic of club maximum - saw this quote a while back and always enjoy sharing it -

“An undue profusion of implements often leads to hesitation in the selection of a club for a particular shot, and a general state of confusion.” - Harry Vardon

2 Likes

Id enjoy watching the pros try it at a few tournaments, it’s not a bad idea. I’ve never had the problem of the game being too easy for me, so I need all 14. I’m in the trees a lot and I need as many options as possible to get around or over them. It’s fun playing with less on short courses though.

4 Likes

What would a ‘traditional’ bag set up be like though?

Driver
3 Wood
5 Wood
4i
6i
8i
PW
SW
LW
Putter

I mean…it could work. Seems very top and bottom heavy. I guess you could load an extra iron, and ditch a wedge.

Manufacturers would hate it as it is less income for them (although also, less manufacturing costs)

Take the 5wood out, throw a 3iron in and move your other irons down 1

Driver
3 Wood
3i
5i
7i
9i
PW
SW
LW
Putter

again, could work…obviously some flexibility on this for those who aren’t as proficient with a 3i!

1 Like

At first I was like “pffffft” but after reading the potential setups like what @Wabinez suggested I could totally see this working. In fact, I imagine that most players wouldn’t notice much of a difference in their games at all. It’s like a “_ club challenge” but for much much longer. Creativity would definitely grow and bags would be lighter.

I like the idea, but I wonder if it would have much effect. Honestly I think it would give the “bomb and gouge” guys even more of an advantage. Does DJ even hit his 3, 4 and 5 irons?

1 Like

You mean, more effectively showcase their skill advantage?

DJ’s longest club into a par 4 last year was an 8 iron.

4 Likes

Calling Dustin Johnson a “bomb and gouge” player is so beyond incredibly insulting. “Cameron Champ”, fine, but DJ? Are you kidding me?

I like this setup. My first thought was the SW and LW would be a bit redundant, but I guess close to the green is where you really want control over your yardages.

I love this idea, if nothing is done to roll back the ball. I also would like to see a ban on the LW. Seve Ballesteros didn’t need a 60* wedge to score, so how about setting a limit of 56* as the maximum loft.

Why? Because he’s ridiculously talented? Doesn’t change the fact that he plays a “bomb and gouge” game. And you have argued numerous times that he should play that way because the statistics support that is the most effective way to shoot lower scores. No where did I say he couldn’t play differently. Physically DJ is possibly the most talented player we’ve seen since Tiger. He just doesn’t seem to have the mental game like Tiger to back it up (and really, does anyone). I think DJ would have won in any era and would adapt and still win to any rules changes.

“Bomb and gouge” is usually used as a derogative term when discussing a player’s skill, so whether or not you intended it that way, it carries a real connotation and that is unfair to apply to DJ.

You said “bomb and gouge guys” which is usually used to refer to “players or lesser skill who are only on tour due to the technology of the driver”. And you didn’t provide the explanation the first time around so you don’t get a free pass. As we say on the Refuge, “words matter”.

I would replace the 3 wood with a strong hybrid, but this looks about right for me. I use a hybrid much more often than I do a 3 wood.

Would we see a widespread return of the 4-wood in this system? Or maybe even people using a 2-wood as their only wood?

Paging the Euro Tour

Come on Nandy. You’re acting like I’m the first person to ever say DJ plays a “bomb and gouge” style.
If “bomb and gouge” is the statistically advantageous way to play golf, how and why would it be derogatory? But since you’ve decided that it is, how would you like me to describe it? It’s obviously not going away and as more and more upcoming pros realize the numbers support it, a higher percentage of players will incorporate this strategy. So what is a non-derogatory term we can use?

Get out of here with that take. I had no reason to provide further explanation as it had nothing to do with my comment. “bomb and gouge” is a widely used term to describe DJ’s strategy that he employs the most.

5 Likes

3 wood
4 iron
5 iron
6 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
PW

Driver
High wood / long hybrid (4w, 5w, 2h, 3h)
4 iron
6 iron
8 iron
PW
SW
Putter.

This is only 8 clubs. And there is NO CHANCE that you take out a driver in a partial set. So adding more, you’re probably increasing the number of clubs at the top (wedges) of your bag first for superior scoring. Not adding more tee clubs. Some of this is making me question how y’all would even set up a half set. Jeez.