Midwest Golf Trips

For those that have been to GR - any recommendations on lodging? Any stay and play or is an AirBnB/VRBO the best bet?

Coldwater Golf Links in Ames, Iowa. Great links style course and its under $60 with cart on the weekends!

From St. Louis but live in Kansas City now.

Don’t bother with St. Louis, not much of a golf destination.

However I would either recommend Branson, MO or Prairie Club up in Valentine, NE.

My wife and I went to PC a few years back with some friends and the golf is unreal. Two courses, Pines and Dunes. A Gil Hanse short course. The lodging is comfortable and the food is good.

Tough to beat, although I’d like to make it to Sand Valley in the next few years.

I’ve been meaning to put Prairie Club in here. Its such a long trip to get there so it’s hard to sell people on it, but pretty much perfect if all you want to do is golf and get away. Last year I went up there for 2 days and another day at Dismal River. Planning on doing the same this summer + Wild horse.

Our season is generally late March/early April to early November.

Best combination of rates to conditions falls in the late April days when “spring rates” are still in effect. Depending on the course, you can also play into early May as well. Softer conditions (pending on where you’re at) and weather in the mid-high 60’s.

Update — I just saw Harvester is closed for 2018 and is going private in 2019. I am beyond pi$$ed. it is the best course in Iowa and only a short drive from KC. gutted.

That is terrible news. Such a fun track. Sucks it would go private.

Forest dunes. it’s right off I-75, due east of traverse city, so you can play it on the way up there or way back. I can’t say enough about how pure it is. Haven’t played the loop yet, but the original course is awesome.
Also, if you’re staying near traverse, check out lochenheath. Some of the wildest greens I’ve played, layout is solid.

Forest Dunes is a must in my opinion. I’ll put that and Arcadia as the top public in the state.
I’ll give a few others, depending on the route you take to/fro Ohio-

The Fortress in Frankenmuth if you’re staying along I-75.

Near Lansing-
Eagle Eye
Hawk Hollow
West Course at Forest Akers near MSU

West side (if playing Tullymore)-
Pilgrim’s Run (DeVries design near 131)
The Mines in GR

Totally depends on the experience you want and the courses you plan to play. If you want nightlife, I’d stay downtown and drive out from there for golf.

If you want pure golf and don’t care about the city itself, I’d rent a VRBO in a central location and drive around. Lots of great courses in GR that were already listed on here. But, I don’t think many of them have a “shared” stay and play where you can hit multiple courses for reduced rates.

I would strongly recommend Forest Dunes. The original course is always in pristine condition–it’s challenging, beautiful, and who doesn’t love a par 319th hole to settle your bets with a giant bunker in the middle of the green? I played the Loop during the soft open they had 1.5 years ago–it definitely needed some time to mature but the layout was unbelievable. What Tom Doak was able to do and create there is fantastic. There’s so much attention to detail. You look one way and then turn 180 degrees and you have completely different golf course.

Wild Horse is definitely a hidden gem. Quarry Oaks in Ashland, NE is a fun track as well.