Michigan Golf

Taking a weeklong buddy trip to Michigan in the late summer or early fall. Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs are already on the docket, a friend’s club pro will try to get us on Crystal Downs and Kingsley. Are there any other stops in that part of Michigan that are worthwhile?

2 Likes

Treetops has some really nice courses, Bay Harbor is very nice too.

I live in Michigan and we have a lot more nice courses than I think people realize.

3 Likes

Boyne! They have some really nice courses (10 in total) and reasonable all you can golf packages

Big bird is in the nest. Sick!!!

3 Likes

There are hidden gems near Arcadia.

Get a rental cabin or hotel on Hamlin Lake in Ludington. Drive to Lincoln Hills, Hemlock, Manistee National & Manistee Country Club. You won’t be disappointed.

2 Likes

Belvedere, Dunmaglas, Lochenheath, Champion Hill, Hemlock, Interlochen but you got the right ones with those 6. Bay Harbor and some of the Boyne courses are nice as well if you are looking for fillers or one stop shops.

3 Likes

It depends on where you’re coming in from (assuming you’re driving). If travels take you anywhere near K’zoo/Battle Creek make sure to hit Stoatin Brae (other Gull Lake courses are decent, too). If you’ll go through mid-Michigan, Treetops is good and there are Eagle Eye and Hawk Hollow in the Lansing area.

Arcadia South is a must play when you’re up there if that’s not on your radar.

Treetops was great last year. Was skeptical about the par three track but it turned out to be the highlight of the trip. Last year they had an all you could play package. It gets dark late that far north so you play a ton. The Jones course was a complete beatdown for me as a high handicapper 16. The Fazio and Smith were awesome.

2 Likes

I do an annual Treetops weekend with a bunch of buddies and we do a back to back loop of the Par 3 course one of the afternoons. By far my favorite round each year of the trip!

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. We are coming in from California, my buddy in charge of flights has us flying into a Traverse City, is that the best bet for flying into that part of the state?

Yes. Last year we flew into Detroit to save money. Pulled an Icarito and ended up driving solo for 4 hours north in the middle of the night. Considering the amount of animal carcasses north of Detroit on US 75 we’ve named it theJeffery Dahmer Memorial Highway.

Not sure if this will help, but living fairly close, in Chicago, I’ve been keeping a little list of Michigan courses to try and visit that have piqued my interest somehow. I.e. heard about by word of mouth, or saw an article, or some other way. Have played the mentioned Stoatin Brae and Eagle Eye (both are good but not amazing imho). May give you some ideas to check into.

Here’s the list (tried to remove ones already mentioned):

Sweetgrass golf club
A-ga Ming
Dunes club
Pilgrim’s run
Marquette gc
Timberstone
Manitou passage
Diamond springs
Belvedere GC
Bay Harbor
Boyne highlands
Sage run

1 Like

Champion Hill might be the low-key, best value, hidden gem in the state. Dare I say poor man’s (every-man’s) Crystal Downs?

Belvedere is old school at its finest too, love the understated nature of everything about that place. Haven’t been since recent tree removal and other enhancement but heard great things.

If you’re down in southwest Michigan and thinking of giving Stoatin Brae a go, I have to put a plug in for Angels Crossing just south of Kalamazoo. Built around the recession and has a number of golden age features along with some modern templates (Biarritz, Redan). The city took it over a number of years ago and made some changes to accommodate budget, but still very much worth a visit.

Few other DeVries designs in the greater Grand Rapids area too, all very affordable. Diamond Springs (a Fried Egg favorite), The Mines, and Pilgrim’s Run. Some greens are a little extreme for my taste (particularly Pilgrims), but generally all really fun to play.

1 Like

That’s the best bet for flying into northern part of state, but could be pricey. Best option overall is fly into Grand Rapids, spend a few days in one of top craft beer cities in the country, play some of the golf around that area, and head north toward Traverse City thereafter. About 2 hours drive north…Petoskey & Harbor Springs where Boyne/Bay Harbor are, is around 3 hours drive.

1 Like

Thinking about a trip this year to michigan, pinehurst area, or streamsong in September. Was wondering how far in advance I can book tee times without staying onsite at arcadia bluffs and forest dunes. Also looking at playing pilgrims run and angels crossing. . .

Sundance is mega underrated. It’s super affordable compared to like, Cedar/Legend which have been over $100 pretty regularly these days.

Manitou Passage wasn’t my favorite.

1 Like

Pilgrims run and the Mines are awesome. Kaufman is also a great little muni thats a fun walk

2 Likes

Then you add in the Torch course, which isn’t on the same level as Sundance but still a fun track and provides some great views of Torch lake.

1 Like

True. Torch is great for a casual round with friends. It’s got some quirky holes and some cool views. You’re also kinda “out there” so I don’t feel bad about loud music and shenanigans

1 Like

I am curious to hear if you buddy’s pro can get you onto Crystal Downs. I have been trying to figure out how to get on and have not yet asked my pro.

I strongly recommend spending some time at Forest Dunes, it is nearly a mini Bandon at this point: 3 18 holes courses, putting course, and the short course opening this year. We stayed for a weekend last weekend and it was fantastic. The outdoor patio area with the firepit might be my favorite post-round spot in the state along with the adirondack chairs at Arcadia Bluffs. Speaking of, if you play Arcadia Bluffs, you should definitely play the South Course as well.

I think you will be doing a disservice to the trip if you do not stay overnight for at least one night at Forest Dunes to play The Loop both ways. Also, get caddies there, it is much better enjoyed walking vs taking a cart.

3 Likes