Maxamania, Rackham GC (Detroit, MI) May 22, 2021

Don’t you dare jynx it. It’s Michigan.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for some couple things to do, send me a message and I might be able to help!

1 Like

Way. WAY too early, bud

2 Likes

Thanks for the offer - though even if we both come, it’ll be a pretty quick trip for us unfortunately, so not a lot of time to explore. Will likely be coming in late Friday night and take off early Sunday.

1 Like

For immediate release.

The undertaker team will now be known as…

The Deadguis

Carry on.

(I’ll be in Michigan this time next week! SWEET!!)

11 Likes

Sorry for the delays, but the rest of the putter covers came in. I updated the one auction with pics of the White Blade. I know JBors was going to put together some packages for the raffle but I wanted to give you all a peek at the rest of the products. Buy some damn raffle tickets for Max and get some cool shit. all magnetic by the way,

15 Likes

We will be adding some more auctions for some of the other versions.

1 Like
Scene: Interior, Hacker Household, mid-morning.

Mrs Hacker:
When are you leaving for Maxamania?

Hacker:
Friday morning, pretty early. Want to get all the driving done in daylight.

Mrs Hacker:
How long is the drive?

Hacker:
According to Google, about 11 hours. But it’s a straight shot through New York.

Mrs. Hacker:
That doesn’t seem right. Can I see your route?

Mrs. Hacker, the brains of the operation, looks at the computer screen.

You know this has you going through Canada, right?

She is greeted with a blank stare from Hacker.

And you can’t do that…

Hacker, slowly realizing what his wife is saying, adjusts his route, watches his drive time go from 10.5 hours to almost 13, heads to Jetblue.com

This is a long-winded way to say I am going to be getting to Detroit much earlier than expected (not early enough for golf), so if anyone else wants to check out the MoTown museum, that is my new plan.

19 Likes

How early? After this story I feel obligated to treat you to a round of golf Friday if:

A: You get in early enough.
B: You don’t mind playing with the worst golfer on The Refuge.

Edited:. Just seen “Not early enough for golf”. My bad.

2 Likes

Bless your heart

2 Likes

MoTown Museum is great, highly recommend

5 Likes

My handicap has gone up 3 strokes in the last round and I have another opportunity to go up after tomorrow’s round. I will give anyone on this site a run for their money for that title.

3 Likes

I don’t know where everyone is staying and for how long but Astoria bakery in Greektown is well worth the drive into the city if you have a sweet tooth and want to see the city.

2 Likes

What exactly are you looking to do? There are a ton a different options to fill an afternoon downtown but I’m a bit biased.

I second hitting up Astoria. It’s great.

Greektown in general has some great food spots too if you need dinner. Red smoke BBQ, Firebird, Pegasus, or Fishbones.

Or if you really want a Detroit meal, hit up Lafayette coney or Slow’s BBQ. Although the wait can be long at slows depending on time of day.

EDIT: If you want to try Detroit deep dish, Pizza Papalis is in greektown too. It’s great.

4 Likes

I finally booked a hotel - the tru that’s in Troy- I know not super exciting, but we’ll be in Ann Arbor most of the day Friday but after golf out there I’m wanting to find a place to get some beverages and possibly food with other maximaniacs.

Not sure if most out of towners are staying more in downtown detroit area or up near the course. Looks like a few decent spots right around royal oak’s little main drag. A bbq joint (Lockhart’s BBQ Royal Oak
(248) 584-4227
https://goo.gl/maps/1vrgskUzj3Wzi3CFA), a brewery (The Royal Oak Brewery
(248) 544-1141
https://goo.gl/maps/r16MSQgWW7GRvvab6), a gastropub/beer hall (Ale Mary’s Beer Hall
(248) 268-1939
https://goo.gl/maps/fRZVe1YrE8sQSL2V6).

1 Like

Ale Mary’s is cool and has a good vegan menu but to quote DJ “tight, tight, piece of property”. Jolly Pumpkin is probably a better option over Royal Oak Brewery at least in quality of beer. The Morrie is also a solid option for food and beer. Bigalora right down the street has a huge patio and good pizza!

2 Likes

Jolly Pumpkin has some very short hours right now as a head’s up. Went there a few weeks back on a Saturday a little before 9 pm and they said they stopped seating about an hour prior.

1 Like

Did anyone take over the old HopCat/Woodys building? That would be dope, 3 floors + rooftop.

maybe ill take one for the team and visit all of the spots on main street this week…purely for research purposes :rofl:

3 Likes