Local Club Association Conundrum

I don’t disagree with you-- some of the older guys are pretty consistent in their scoring. Tournament vs. Non-tournament they play about the same. Having a good day is one thing, but with those types of trends of consistency a 12-13 shot outlier is a bit jarring.

One particular instance I’m looking at has a player posting 30 rounds (over a 30 day period) with 10 official check-ins at the club house, all scores between 89-91. Looking at his tournament postings though, he never shot worse than a 76. His tournament handicap is nearly 10 points better (GHIN: 16.3, Tournament: 6.1)

We’ve talked about implementing tournament handicaps in previous years and have a minimum number of association events participated in to qualify for some tournament entry (which on paper should fix issues like these), but if the goal is to grow membership making the barrier of entry higher doesn’t seem conducive either.

These guys are cheating very badly and should not be allowed to play. Frankly, I’d kick them out of the club.

Q: What are the odds of that 16-handicapper breaking 80?
Knuth:
The odds of someone beating their handicap – if it’s an honest handicap – by eight strokes are 1,138 to 1. For most players that represents about 54 years of golf – a lifetime for many. The odds of beating your number by eight strokes twice are 14,912 to 1, or 710 years of golf.

4 Likes

Thats not sandbagging.

Its beyond sandbagging. Its just cheating. Sandbagging is when you still shoot the number you post, but you “just missed” a couple putts coming in when it didnt matter.

This is cheating.

I honestly dont care how you choose to play the game of golf, but when you take a fraudulent handicap, and use it to steal from people, you should be fucking kicked out of whatever group you belong to.

7 Likes

Here’s my opinion when it comes to cheaters, don’t be afraid to call them out and ban then from playing. Odds are they don’t have much support from anyone else in the group.

2 Likes