Jones Golf Bags

Saw these golf bags on EAL’s vlogs and wondered if anyone on here has one ,they do look good . I’ve played a half set all winter and carried in my wee travel bag but these Jones bags look good.

Any reviews on them appreciated .

I had a Jones Utility Rover (Black). Back looks great and I used it for almost 2 full seasons… had a bit of wear and tear but nothing crazy. However, I had 2 big issues with it:

1. stand functionality wasn’t great
  2. club tangle… i play bigger than standard grips and it was annoying

I switched to the Stitch SL1 and am very pleased… it is more expensive, but a far superior product in my view. Less pockets/space, so if you like carrying a lot of stuff the bag isn’t for you. I have no club tangle and the stand functionality is the best I’ve seen.

I did see that Jones came out with an upgraded line for this year, so I have to think they’ve made some improvements. Check out the SL1 though, I couldn’t be happier with it.

1 Like

I’ve been leaning between going with a custom Mackenzie or an OG Jones, and the one thing I’ve seen a couple times is folks don’t like the strap on the OG Jones. That is pushing me towards the Mackenzie.

You do realize you are at extreme ends of the price spectrum right?

I dont think you can even compare Jones and Mackenzie.

Why can’t you compare them? I’m not going to spend $400 on a nylon Mackenzie if everyone says the Jones is just as comfortable and the only thing you’re paying for with the Mackenzie is the brand.

Oh ok. When i think Mackenzie i think leather.

Jones has been around for 30 years and everyone who has one loves it. I had a jones bag in high school. Nice bag.

1 Like

Nah, I’m not talking about a $1,000+ leather Mackenzie. I’m comparing Nylon bag to Nylon bag.

1 Like

I bought a Jones Players Series a few years ago, and I love it. It is not my day to day bag, as I prefer to have a stand most of the time, but this bag is fully capable of carrying a full set. I brought it to London last year, because I thought the stand bag would be too cumbersome riding trains to/from courses, and the Jones bag was ideal. It is good quality, and if you wait for one of their (frequent) sales, you can get 20%-40% off. Highly recommend.

1 Like

I have had two Jones over the last few years. I won the original Utility bag a few years ago and played with it for two seasons. Good not great bag IMHO. Last year I went with the Players Series and absolutely love the bag. I have some minor issues with it, but overall was exactly what I was looking for. I think if you’re comfortable with a non-stand bag geared for the walker - it is the best combination of style, functionality, and cost out there.

Also, if you’re able to wait a bit longer, Jones always runs a Black Friday sale for the holidays. Last few years they have 40% off. They will occasionally have other deals more in season, but they’re less predictable (and lower discount)

1 Like

I have a Jones (bought during Black Friday) I bought to put my hickories in. Seems like an ok bag, value minded, solid. I’ll get a MacKenzie (waxed canvas) here in early April. Pictures of them are SICK. Back when I was ordering a Jones, guys who had tried both said there is no comparison, but that they understood the 4-5x pricing multiple was hard to get around.

Cheese & Rice! How many GD golf bag threads do we need? I’m going to make a golf bag super thread-kake that will instantly get more views and traction than @sundaybag 's backyard project and @Lazstradamus 's roast my swing…

4 Likes

This is the “Bag Room” forum, after all. What the hell else are we supposed to talk about in here?!

3 Likes

I’ll make sure to title my super thread “The Baggiest of Bag Rooms”

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies guys did have a look at Stitch bags but nah there not me .

Edit: I didn’t realize EAL used a Jones bag in any of his videos until you said this. 99% of the time he’s using a Seamus bag, but I have seen him use a Jones bag once or twice now that I think about it, but it seems he prefers his Seamus gear over all other bags.

I’ve had multiple people recommend the Jones Utility Rover to me. Seems like the ultimate “sunday bag but slightly larger” go-to if you don’t play a full set, and it’s priced right. I’m going to be snagging one next time they run a sale.

If money is no object, I’m buying a Seamus Golf bag every time. $600 is asinine for a bag, but it’s also a work of art and they resell on eBay for basically close to that.

1 Like

Have been watching his Scotland vlogs and noticed them and thought they looked really good, all these brands are new to me here in Scotland but the Seamus ones do look superb but expensive . Ive seen on enlace sell them in the UK but even getting it shipped from the US is still cheaper

1 Like

I use the most basic Jones carry bag as my everyday bag, and i love it. Snag it on sale and it’s a no-brainer.

As far as storage goes, its kinda crazy how much stuff you can fit in that back full-length pocket. Only thing I don’t like is how the umbrella sleeve has so much sag in it…no one likes a saggy umbrella.

3 Likes
1 Like

A bit like where i stay in Scotland lovely and sunny and 10 minutes later drenched with the rain haha

1 Like

I bought a jones original two years ago to see if I’d like the Sunday bag style, which I did. I feel that the itch to get a Mackenzie is inevitable though, and I picked mine up in January. The jones is a great bag, but my nylon Mack is something else. Maybe it was the custom factor, or being a part of the entire process, but between that connection and the craftsmanship it will be hard to carry anything else going forward. As for the strap ‘issues’ with the jones, the original is a very comfy strap but it is thicc. Maybe I would’ve preferred the players series more, as I am a big fan of the mackenzie style strap. Overall, the jones was a great bag and has held up well, but I feel that, at least for me, it was really just a stepping stone to biting the bullet and getting a mack

4 Likes