Iron set wedge or "special" wedge

Hello refuge.

I got a quick question for you all that i don’t really know the answer.

What’s the difference between playing a regular iron set wedge (for example a pitching wedge) and a “special” wedge with 47-48 loft.

Regular Wedge:

Special Wedge

Since I’m struggling particulary with the PW (which loft is 47.5) , i though about this possibility but i realized that i have no idea what’s the real difference. Swing weight? Bounce?

Thanks!

Cheers from Argentina

2 Likes

The question was about the type of the club more than the loft of it.

Regular iron set PW vs Special wedge such as a Vokey.

@pipelanus, bienvenido, hermano.

Termenda pregunta.

Tiene mucho mas que ver con el ego del jugador. Es decir, si algien pensa que juegan mejor con un Vokey de 48, lo compran. Pero la verdad es quer lo compran porque ven a Rory McIlroy usando lo mismo.

1 Like

Diviértete y espero que juegues conmigo cuando estés en los EEUU.

@pipelanus brings up a subject close to my heart. Since I’ve just poured a drink, please indulge me on this…

My father always had nice clubs. He Had a 3-PW set and then he had a few sand wedges, probably all 56 degrees. There should be a rule to limit loft at 56 or 58 degrees, but I digress…

Club manufacturers started to make stronger loft irons, so the 48 degree PW became a 46 degree. The universal standard SW was kid of always 56 degrees, so this “gap” of 10 degrees gave them an opportunity- “The Gap Wedge” was born.

Some companies, like Callaway, rebranded the whole set- it would go from 9 iron to 10 iron (PW) to A wedge (50-52 degrees) to SW (54-56) then Lob Wedge (58-60.) They did this not because anyone needed it, or was good enough to manage the full arsenal of wedges, but rather because the rules say you can carry 14 clubs and golf consumers will buy just about anything.

What happened next was also pretty crucial- Cleveland and Vokey wedges started to put the loft on the wedges and people’s synapses started going haywire. Suddenly, 22-handicaps were buying 52, 54, 56, 58, 60 combos rather than just getting good with one club (which they should have been doing in the first place.) The most maligned would actually bend a 58 to 57.
Like any good company, Cleveland, Vokey etc, had to grow sales. The natural move was to create new offerings. So instead of going up to 64, 66, 68 (that would come later) then went down in the bag to 46, 48 and 50. Why? Because the same sucker who “needs” a 54 instead of a 56 will buy your 46 degree if it means “more workability” from the rough.

The wedge world is gross. It’s literally corporations taking advantage of senior citizens on fixed incomes and nobody says shit about it.

So to answer your question, the reason people do it is mostly because they are suckers or have an ego that is likely costing them more than they will ever know.

Keep your PW.

12 Likes

I think it comes down to how you use it. If most of your shots are full swings, then keep the PW from the set. If you’re looking for something to use around the green and for shorter pitch shots, then consider the Vokey.

1 Like

@tdogg21, what’s your wedge set up?

My set has a ridiculously strong PW, so I have 48, 54, and 58 Vokeys.

Like PXG strong? Or Callaway CF strong?

Callaway strong. 44* so basically a 9 iron.

1 Like

By the way @Lazstradamus, I would completely support a “no wedges over 56* ban.” I think I had already played two years of competitive jr golf before I got my first SW or ever tried to chip with a wedge. Kids these days would have no clue how to chip with their mid-irons.

1 Like

Yeah most of the shots are full / 80% swings and chip around the green. Nothing fancy.

But i think that as most of the golf stuff for us amateurs is all about the swag hahah. My current wedge game is PW (47) - 52 - 58 and i’m a 4-5 hcp.

I think i’ll get it just for the looks haha

2 Likes

I’m not sure how many options they have on the gap wedges, but I have the 48* with a Full grind and really like it. I don’t hit a lot of full shots with it, but when I need to, it works well while still being versatile around the green.

I want to barrel age this post and drink it 10 years from now.

4 Likes

Go read Terry Koehler “the wedge guy”’s blogs on GolfWRX. Lot of good info there for you,

2 Likes

Truth. Only need one wedge. As long as it is a forged Japanese wedge with grooves like a katana.

2 Likes

i chipped in with a 1 iron yesterday, I’d like to see kids these days try that

2 Likes

No, people like @Tron just yip/putt it with their hybrids instead.

1 Like

I’ve tried to chip with my 3 wood or hybrid but I really struggle with distance control. The ball just really jumps off the face. I’m sure if I practiced it, I’d get better. But personally I would prefer to just use a mid-iron.