Iron Recommendations

Been hitting my irons poor lately and have had them for almost 3 year now. They are Ping G30’s and I feel like I’m starting to lose distance with them and can’t hit them very good right now. My handicap is about a 7 but recently it’s been getting worse. Just seeing what people like and what I should try out.

Don’t know about price range but I have the TM M4s and they go much farther than old Ap2s and launch high enough

I am a big cheerleader for the Mizuno JPX line, the newest is the 900 Tour. I personally have the 850’s that I got fitted for a couple of years ago. In my opinion they are the best looking, feeling and hitting irons for the money. You get a forged club that still has the forgiveness of player improvement club, without spending $$$. I’ve hit just about every iron and still come back to them.

Agreed. Should be perfect for a 7 capper too.

I just got the new X-Forged this year and love them. I transitioned from an AP1 and it has been really helpful for me and not difficult because they have such a solid feel. Great spin and trajectory even out of moderate rough, distances are consistent, workable even without flushing it, etc. Worth checking out in a fitting for sure. Also, I think they look great with this really nice dull silver finish.

Go to a fitting and find out what YOU hit the best.

I got fitted for the first time this year and ended up with Cobra Irons, which I had ZERO intention of ever even looking at. But its what consistently worked for me during the session.

Take peer recommendations, marketing, etc out of the mix.

Strong, strong second this statement. If you’re a 7 handicap and are considering spending the money on new irons, pay for the best fitting you can find. Not a must, but I’d suggest a fitter that uses Trackman if possible. It will be the best money you’ve ever spent.

I’m also in the search for new irons, granted I’ve pretty much had my mind made up between either the Titleist AP3’s or the TM P790’s.

I’m a Titleist fan boy and my whole bag is Titleist so that gets the clear edge… until yesterday.

Went to my local golfer’s warehouse and the fitter had me swing the new Ping i500’s… OMG I’m in love.

I’ve always kind of disliked Ping. Idk if it’s because they don’t market as much as Titleist or TM, but I’ve never been one to give Ping a fair look.

These new i500’s are so pure and look so silky, I’m torn. I wanted to choose between Titleist and TM, but the feel and feedback I was getting with the i500’s was too good to ignore. They might be the clear favorites in my search now.

Also in the market for irons…and for some reason have the same sentiment on Pings. Although I tend to lean towards Callaway and TM. I’m not sure why Ping gets such a bad stigma, it could be their lack of marketing, or that their sponsored players aren’t as marketable as the others.

But when anyone I know swings with Pings, they’re blown away at how good they are.

I’m completely in the tank for Titleist so I may be biased, but the AP3 is the best club I’ve ever hit. I’m still playing 910 AP2s, but only because it’s hard for me to justify buying new irons right now given how sporadically I am playing golf.

Couldn’t recommend the 765 and 565 series from Srixon highly enough. You can get a mixed bag and the prices are stellar right now as they are about to release a new line. Forged clubs with a thin top line even for the game improvement 565’s. I hit the 565 in 3 and 4 iron and the 765 in 5 and 6 irons. The long irons feel like trampolines off the club face. Right now you can get a brand new set for under $600.

JPX 900 Tour, maybe JPX Forged for 3, 4, 5 iron (more forgiving). It sounds like the new JPX Tours (919s) are coming out relatively soon, which means the 900s will be heavily discounted.

Bought them a year ago, when i was playing to a 7 or 8. They look blade-y at address, but have plenty of forgiveness.