How good is Aiken Golf Club?

Will be playing it next month for the first time. I have done a good bit of reading on it and have probably built it up a bit too much in my head. Would love to hear from anyone who has played it before.

2 Likes

Bring your chimper, and practice your spin shots

8 Likes

Don’t forget about the plop shot, you’ll need it around the greens

3 Likes

In the thoroughbred?

I played there as part of my Masters trip this year. I really enjoyed it. Used all of the clubs in the bag. My buddy even had a hole in one up a blind uphill shot (#4 or so I think).

My group that I was with liked it better than Palmetto…

It is fun. I have played it only once, in 40 degrees. I never noticed the scorecard total distance. Lots of variety. I would safely recommend it.

I am going to the Thoroughbred and looking forward to better weather.

1 Like

Make sure to bring your mid-calfs and trick shots.

1 Like

I played Aiken GC once last year. It was a blast. Very walkable course. Compact routing with nice rolling terrain. Cool double green on the 1st and 17th. The blind driveable par 4 15th hole was fun too. I was paired with a 76 old local guy and we needed 2.5 hours to finish the round. Awesome day.

1 Like

I will not be at The Thoroughbred but playing the week before. That does look fun as hell though.

I played 36 at Aiken in June and it was fantastic. Coming from GB & I links courses, it’s one of the few US courses I’ve played where you can really use the ground and get a bit creative. Plenty of room off the tee with a premium on second shots. Greens ran very true and not stupidly fast. It’s an ideal walk, although I did take a cart for the second 18 as it was +90F.

Green fees are a steal, folks in the shop are super friendly, and the lady at the halfway hut is charming. I’d definitely recommend playing twice, there a few different ways to play some holes and shots and you’re going to want to have the chance to do it again.

I can’t wait to get back, and i’d put it in the category of “course you could happily play every day for the rest of your life.”

2 Likes

Very enjoyable round. Played as a single behind several foursomes that went off mid morning. Finished in three hours.

3 Likes

Played there a couple of weeks ago with my twin sons, we had a great time. Really interesting layout, lots of fun.

Grew up on the course. First birdie, first 9 holes under 40 came on the course.

It has been completely overhauled recently for the better. It fills a great void in a town with both Palmetto and Sage Valley

When I was little, there was a pool where the putting green is now.