How about a council rather than a president? A detailed case

Fellow refugees,

We are being forced into a false choice by our wonderful, but often absent, overlords. One candidate could never represent the interests of all the communities that exist in this great place, lurkers and posters, non-Americans and Americans, single digit and double digit handicappers. If they are going to put power in the hands of the people, we should have a say in what form that power takes. That is why I, I_have_the_yips, do not submit my bid for presidency, but instead propose we collectively throw off the yoke of oppression and define our own bounds for collective governance.

I understand it is much easier for the guys if there is one single representative of the refuge to communicate with. However, electing one official representative could be both damaging to our overall morale and breed mistrust in the forum we participate. It’s hard to see a world where any one person winning doesn’t make some segment of the refuge feel disenfranchised. The last thing we want is participation to decrease as a result of this election; the whole point of this exercise is to make this a more fun and user friendly community.

I propose a system of 3-5 representatives who collectively vote and bring suggestions to The Guis, we can implement at their leisure. 3 would likely be easier to maintain from an administrative perspective, 5 would be fairer from a representation standpoint, 4 is even and thus a bad idea.

How do we decide who is represented by which elected official you might ask. I suggest geographic bounds as a starting point and participation in a local RACDG as a prerequisite for candidacy. The guys have all our IP addresses and can fairly break us up into equal regions based on site views or accounts. But, I have no strong opinions on this and am very open to suggestions about how to create fair representation.

The TL;DR is this, we need more than one representative to make our voices heard and come up with fresh ways to make the community better, 3-5 voices is probably a good number, let’s make this a better place together, and I want absolutely no part in being elected to anything.

Respectfully submitted for your consideration,

I_have_the_yips

18 Likes

This has already been settled:

And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.

9 Likes

Ugh. The even BIGGER government candidate has entered the fray.

5 Likes

An excellent way to not be killed by the lord’s one chosen weapon but no system for government.

1 Like

It’s-a me!

2 Likes

@I_have_the_yips I want to wish you luck in your quest for the Presidency. If you win, I will do my best to help in any way that I can.

1 Like

DBD going in hard as the “nice guy” candidate.

5 Likes

As Popeye once said, “I am what I am”

5 Likes

Or the spam candidate.

Had him on my shortlist, but the robocalls may lose me.

4 Likes

I was just wanting to pass my best to everyone who put their hat in the ring.

1 Like

You lost me the second you failed to call the coucil “The Guis”.

5 Likes

Dave, while I appreciate your support, I wish you had read my proposition. I actually have no interest in being a representative of the refuge. Instead hope as an active member of the political process to challenge the presupposition that we only get one representative. My platform is for a multi representative system of governance where ideas can flourish and be discussed between equals rather than a president having unilateral control over what gets brought up to The Guis.

1 Like

“in an election fully of classy guys he’s the classiest one of them all”

Been pretty inactive on the refuge in the last few weeks, is there a candidate that is unabashedly #teamchaos ? They get my support

I think that’s ED buddy.

1 Like

It’s the Grateful Dead management style. No one person is in charge, rather the situation is what’s in charge. I dig it.

Also, I’d love to be part of the process should you win the election to a position you don’t believe should exist.

4 Likes

I’ve made a terrible mistake .gif

3 Likes

I am not a candidate stuck in my ways, when I am shown I am wrong, I accept the criticism and move on. I have edited the post but for posterity’s sake, let the record show that I made a grave error in spelling The Guis, The Guys. I deeply regret this error and apologize for whatever harm it may have caused.

2 Likes

I understand your concern about these messages. My intent was to express my best to my opponents in this upcoming election. That’s how I do thing IRL and online.

I’d appreciate your support, though I understand if you were put off by my tactics.

1 Like

You now have my vote should I remember to cast it

1 Like