Hooking a hybrid

Does anyone else have an issue where they hit constant pull/hooks with their hybrid? Regardless if I’m normally cutting the ball, drawing the ball, whatever, the automatic shot shape for my hybrid is a pull/hook. Was thinking it may have to do with the lighter weight of the club? Curious if anyone has any insight.

I think most hybrids are made with a bit of a draw bias, I think people have had success with hybrids that they can flatten the lie angle like the Ping G410

2 Likes

It may have to do with your shitty swing.

I kid.

I think it’s has to do with the lie angle compared to the rest of your irons. Might check it out.

2 Likes

Believe this is the answer for almost anyone’s golf issues, myself included.

Most hybrids are made with a very upright lie angle

3 Likes

The most anti-hook Hybrid out there is the Mizuno CLK which allows you to create the flattest setting possible without physically bending the hosel.

If you still hook that, then yeah, it’s your swing.

1 Like

Get fitted

2 Likes

1 Like

ive allowed many others to swing the same club and same result. obviously my swing isnt perfect, but when a dozen people hit the same ball flight with the same club…

2 Likes

Without knowing the hybrid that means nothing.

Also, some people just don’t match up well with hybrids. I hit flat bullets with them so while they’re fun to hit far they are usless outside of the gratification of the hitting bay. Which goes back to what @nandersen said, get fitted. I get along better with fairway woods and driving irons.

No hybrids for me :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

big time thanks for this

1 Like

The rest of the crowd nailed it with upright lie angle.

You may have a need for a heaven-wood or a sexwood. If you hit it high, there are plenty of good utility iron options, which concede a bit on forgiveness. If you hit it mid or low, you may be better off with a fairway wood.

Txg did a great video on selection between iron/hybrid/fairway wood.

1 Like

Get a Srixon hybrid. Referral fees can be paid directly to my venmo.

@Chippycut - you’re spot on. I had same issue as OP. Given it is more expensive and a bigger time commitment to actually fix my shitty swing, I bought a heavenwood and a 7 wood from Callaway. They usually don’t sell the 7 wood to people under the age of 60, but they made a special exception given my horrendous game.

Those two clubs have turned out to be awesome weapons in my bag. The heavenwood, plays like a 4 wood for me. 7 wood is like a 4 iron. Just easier clubs for me than the 3 hybrid or 4 hybrid I used to try to hit.

2 Likes

Yeah man I’ve gone to a 19* 917 f2 tuned up to max loft (20.5*), and cut down a half inch. It’s a great 3 iron / hybrid replacement for a low flight guy. Par 5 weapon.

Thank you for this and to @missingreens Pretty new to the Refuge and lovin the help already!

1 Like

Same. I switched to a 5 wood.( callaway preowned ) #ad

1 Like

I hit a high draw, that is really a sweeping hook. The clk 19 hybrid gives me nothing but low fades. It’s absolutely beautiful to these eyes.

2 Likes

I used to hook my hybrid all the time until I got the right shaft. that could be a big help for you. Also ball placement and not trying to play it like a wood/driver

1 Like