Heavyweights: Thicc Boys of the Refuge Unite!

Either way I’m down, I’ll DM ya

1 Like

Of course, whenever you’re ready. No limit on room to sign up. I’d say if you join by New Years you’ll be in our 12% crew.

Otherwise, definitely encouraged to start being healthier whenever but measurements for the 9% crew will be as of 1/15.

Hello Thicc Boiis - I’m new to the Refuge, but I heard DJ mention this thread on the podcast and I wanted to check it out. I know that message boards aren’t always the best place for sincerity, but all the members here should be proud of the way that you’ve lost weight and supported one another!

I’ve been overweight for most of my adult life, including during my time in the military. I’m now 36 years old and the health consequences are catching up with me. I just signed up for the Challenge 2.0, and I’m psyched to be a part of the community.

11 Likes

Welcome, glad to have you on board.

We are wrapping up the first go around on the challenge tomorrow. But really is just a great spot to read and vent and whatever. That won’t go away, challenge or no challenge. We can all use the support no matter what.

3 Likes

Any other thiccbois want in on this comp? I think this is a much better way to get healthy, personally, than just setting a goal of body fat % loss. I failed miserably on the last thiccbois competition, but think earning points by healthy activities is more motivating.

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/workouts-and-diets/13090/547?u=illinigolferhack

Shamelessly cross posting this to get some more eyes on it:
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/inaugural-refuge-one-and-done/18428?u=haveouimet

Bump - 1/15 Signup window is approaching. We’re at 9 of us so far. Seems many in this group may be hibernating for the winter? Sign up on the “Challenge 2.0” tab.

You rang??

3 Likes

Was there a whatsapp thread going?

slide into @Slasher or @anon26814599 DMs. They are the WhatsApp Admin. Probably any of us can send it to you but I don’t know how that shit works.

2 Likes

If I recall correctly, there isn’t a buy in, because the point is to encourage each other to lose weight.

We need to save our money for vintage golf clubs and Daily Deals of the Day opportunities.

Besides if we hit our goals, we are going to need to buy some new clothes.

2 Likes

Signed up for 1/15!

1 Like

The first time around there was a buy-in ($25?). Those who hit their target weight split the total pot. I’m good doing that again, or not… the most important thing to me is having some accountability and you guise are providing that for me.

I was thinking of this back when there were only 2 people signed up. I don’t mind doing $25 if that gins up interest.

However, I’d also recommend a free option as I wouldn’t want to discourage anyone from joining in the quest to get healthy.

1 Like

Went ahead and signed up! I appreciate the work done on the spreadsheet. It will be nice to have those scheduled weigh-ins as a reminder to have accountability, plus a specific number to strive for. Thanks again!

1 Like

Guise,
Running a little study here at work with our weight loss and hormone work. A quick question for any of you who have lost more than 10% of their body weight in the last 6 months:

• I have lost distance
  • I have not lost distance
  • I haven’t played enough to know, because I live in Minot, ND (or somewhere cold.)

0 voters

Old bump here, but what was that process like for you? How long, activity levels, etc. Are you still regularly fasting?

I’ve been easing my way into IF, and am looking for any anecdata … plateaus, major humps, tips, etc. I went from a pretty fit 185 at the beginning of last year up to 213 as of this morning when I officially started the 16:8. Assuming this is doable I might go 20:4 in March.

I’m working out with crossfit and rucking, so keeping things balanced and keeping away from serious bonks in athletic things will be the challenge. IF and eating real clean seem like a logical way to shed weight. And then there’s a bunch of information that makes it seem like IF (or at least times of caloric deficit) is just a cleaner/more appropriate way to approach food for long-term health.

Still do IF every day. Usually around a 5 hour window. I’ll eat usually around 4:00, do my workout around 5:30, do a protein shake after and then eat my main meal around 8-8:30, I could easily handle a smaller window hunger wise but its tough for me to hit my protein quota on anything much smaller without just going whey shakes.

My activity level is pretty high. Usually hit about 10 miles walked, lift weights 3 days a week, and play indoor and outdoor soccer 2-3 times a week. Energy levels are never an issue, unless i’m eating a a decent size deficit trying to shred down a little, and then my lifts can tend to struggle. Also feel like my energy levels are much more consistent throughout the day, no spikes and crashes, especially when I stay away cheap carbs and focus my meals around a good protein source and some healthy fats, and usually an apple or handful of berries.

Hunger and the urge to feel like you need to eat goes away faster than you’d think, I don’t even really think about it now until its close to time to workout and I remember I should do my first meal. Black coffee has been a big help too.

1 Like

This is helpful, thanks. The hunger piece is the easiest animal to tame for me, and I definitely look forward to the energy changes. Part of that is also staying active, I think.

One thing I haven’t seen is how long-term IF folks react to non-IF days (e.g. days you decide to hit the church pancake breakfast with the family, or walk through the rib cook off at noon) – notice any change in how your body reacts that day or the following days?

Nothing major that I can think of. The only thing I notice different if I do something like you mentioned, which I do, especially on golf days for whatever reason, is wanting to eat sooner than I normally and feeling hungry early in the day and some times feel a little crash, which gets me feeling like I need to crush some fruit or cereal to get back where I was.