Hawaii Course Recommendations

Hey guys. Fiance and I are headed to Hawaii for our honeymoon at the end of July and she says I can play 2-3 rounds of golf while we are there. We are looking at staying a few days on Oahu, Maui, and the Big Island. Would love to hear if you all have any recommendations on where to play. I will likely just rent clubs while I am there and she will be going with me, but not playing. Thanks!

Also paying attention to this as I’m going next year.

Kapalua worth it?

Good for you, sounds like you found a winner if she’s letting you golf 3 times on your honeymoon and she’s not even playing!

Awww. And so sweet that she’s coming with him to watch while he plays.

That’ll soon change…

Kapalua is definitely worth the freight. Once, at least. My hire clubs there were brand new AP2s, Vokeys, 917s and a Scotty.

Kaanapali courses absolutely not. I had a room overlooking them for five days and even that was too close.

Wailea courses everyone raves about. Gold is “the one” but I had advice that Blue is more fun holiday golf.

On Oahu, Waialae and Mid Pacific CC are wanting $300 or so for a round. I am Australian, no connections at either, just emailed them and they were all good for me to play. I didn’t partake, but drove around Waialae and it’s not a $300 golf course.

Instead, I played Oahu CC up on the hill overlooking Honolulu. $170 or so, super welcoming place and a really interesting, fun course on some wild land. Reminded me of a hillier Riviera. Some pics here: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,64352.msg1533796.html#msg1533796

Also paying attention…recommendations for Kauai, only time for one round

$300 is a bit steep, but Mid Pac is a great course. To me, it’s a thousand times better than Oahu, which is basically what you would get by turning a mini golf course into a par 70.

The Palmer Course at Turtle Bay might be the best on the island, though.

On the Big Island on the Kona Coast side, the South course at Mauni Lani and then the Mauna Kea course. Both awesome. Bonus was each round took under 3 hours and Mauna Kea let me go around a second time at no charge (pretty awesome for a $250/round course!). Also, check out Hapuna Beach if in the area, unreal.

Mauni Lani:

Mauna Kea (probably favorite par 3 I’ve ever played)

If you’re staying on the north side of Kauai (Princeville area), definitely check out the Makai Golf Course. Price is a little steep, $295 I think, but worth it. Really enjoyable experience, fantastic views, especially of Bali Hai on the on the downhill par 3, not a blade of grass out of place when I played there. Got around in under 3.5 hours too, which I always appreciate.

Thanks. We are staying in the Princeville area actually and the Makai course is the one I’ve been looking at.

I’ve read a little bit about the Prince Course and how it used to be this top-rated track, then it closed down, but is now supposed to re-open in 2018. But not sure when…

I really enjoyed the King K Club in Maui. Here’s my post about it… What was your favorite course you played in 2017 and why?

I played one of the Princeville courses back in 2005ish. It was largely forgettable. Kapalua was swapping grass on the greens the year we were out there. Really bummed we didn’t get to play it. The views on the 18th hole were spectacular.

I prefer Poipu over Princeville. Both are beautiful but the Princeville layout is meh for the money. Amazing views, but a lot of blind shots. Poipu is a great track.

Strong agree. Most of the course’s members live in either California or Japan, so it’s not super busy. Pretty easy to just call up there and get a time. The course was in great condition, and the wind makes it quite interesting.

On the Kona coast, for good fun at low $$, Big Island CC. All public, trailer for a clubhouse but great views and typically in great shape. Best burgers ever are at the Parker Ranch Mall, Village Burgers, Waimea.

On Maui, King Kameamea is private, but slots several tee times daily. Spectacular views and a a Frank Lloyd Wright clubhouse overlooking the main town of Kahului. Zero delays, play at your pace and she’ll ride free. Below it is it’s little sister, Kihili. Like makai at Princeville, these are Troon. Buy the California card. Very accessible from Kihei, wallea and ok from Lahaina.

As great as Kapalua is, its at the far north end and unless you’re staying up there, kaanapali or Lahaina, central island or the Wailea/ Kihei begs for Emerald or gold. Blue is a bust. Maui’s muni is Pukalani, cheap and fun, like Big Island. It’s way up the hill ppposite King Kameamea. Eat at the Haliimaili store on the way up.

If you are staying south end on Kauai, Poipu is a great choice. Played it this week, perfect condition and 3.5 hours. No traffic like heading back north.

Wailea Gold was incredible. Felt like you were getting the crazy beautiful HI experience without the crazy Kap prices.

Heard great things about The Challenge Course (now called Manele I think) on Lanai: https://www.fourseasons.com/lanai/services_and_amenities/golf/

When in Maui, if you’re looking to save some money and not splurge on the resort courses, I’d recommend The Dunes at Maui Lani, Kahili, and Pukalani.

The Dunes is one of my favorite courses I’ve ever played. Advertised as a links course, it doesn’t play like one at all, but it’s got some cool pot bunkers and a lot of really interesting elevation changes on a lot of the holes. I have heard some of my friends who’ve played it since my last visit (2012) it’s not in as good of shape anymore, but if it’s in nice conditioning, can’t recommend it enough.

Kahili is a nice course not too far from there that pretty much everyone who visits it enjoys. It’s right in the wind tunnel of Maui, so there’s a good chance it’ll play the windiest round you ever play, but it’s still worth it.

Pukalani in terms of layout and design is nothing to write home about, but the staff is the friendliest assortment of people on Earth, and the food in the restaurant is to die for. My parents and I agree the best place we’ve eaten on Maui is that course’s restaurant.