Handicapping

I enjoy different games but it’s meant to be played as stroke play. Even if I’m playing a different format I finish up and have a score.

I played in Australia around New Year’s, and was surprised everyone there played Stableford. It’s so unheard of in the USA, that I had no idea how the scoring worked. That’d be an interesting thread.

I mostly do the same out of curiosity, albeit I know in my head that my “score” is really an approximation based on:

a) gimmes

b) if I;m out of a hole or not going to score I’m picking my ball up.No interest in grinding out a 9 holding the group up for the sake of my card. I’ll mark it down is a triple; and

c) the knowledge that I’d be playing differently if it was stroke play. For example, 1 down with 2 to play and I’m taking on the water/bunker/sucker pin that I wouldn’t do in stoke play. Ditto in fourballs if my partner melts one down the middle.

Interesting that you say its meant to be played as stroke play; why is that? The Amateur and US Am/Mid Am all end with match play. The Ryder Cup is match play, foursomes and fourballs. Wasn’t the US American Open and/or US American PGA match play as well at some point?

Usually points are awarded based on a players net score. So:

Eagle - 4
Birdie - 3
Par - 2
Bogey - 1

Nothing in this game for a double or above.

Playing to handicap is therefore 36 points.

There are obviously modified versions where minus points are available, but this is the normal UK club format. Advantage is that you can pick up after you eject 2 off the tee and save yourself the indignity of pounding balls into the shite ad infinitum.

I played Muirfield the Thursday of the Masters this year and had 0 points thru 9. Boy was I glad we wern’t playing stroke play…

Yeah it made sense after learning how the scoring worked. I’d have appreciated the group in front of me today picking up in some spots. Stableford, along with everyone taking a pull cart were fairly eye opening coming from the USA.

Handicaps are based on stroke play, 90+% of tournaments are based on stroke play. Almost all record keeping is based on stroke play etc…

I’m not condemning match play at all, I enjoy the hell out of it. Just pointing out that the majority of the golf world, when competing, uses stroke play.