Google Golf Maps

I’ve liked maps since I was a little kid, I can’t help myself. I love making google maps for lots of things and have made a few for golf courses. There are plenty of comprehensive, good ones out there and I look forward to the NLU revamped site that has a map theme. Do you have a personal one you’d like to share?

Here is mine which is in a work progress. Heavily influenced by various threads on the Refuge and TFE. The thought process behind this map is to not completely over do it by putting every single noteworthy course on it. Mostly affordable, public courses. These are courses I may realistically play in the next 10-15 years. That’s why there are a lot of clusters of courses in a small area, this map has a trip focus. Would love to hear feedback, additional recommendations. I just started the “Detours” layer and want to add more (restaurants, things to see)
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zpA9PK31xpokHlron6AHVQ8-V0qCUR_c&usp=sharing

@Soly you mentioned you had a map on your England podcast. Care to share it?

2 Likes

Love the idea, already have a few brewing here on the Refuge, if you’d be interested to see what else is out there!

2 Likes

I spend an embarrassing amount of time just driving around on google street view

4 Likes

Have you played the game where it drops you in a random part of the world and you have to guess where you are at by using google street view and dropping a pin on a map?

1 Like

Details, please.

It’s called Geoguessr. Spent a few too many hours of class time on there personally

2 Likes

Ya that’s it. I got some really good scores a few times. Every country right once.

There goes my Tuesday

2 Likes

Cheat-code advice: look for street signs or signs for businesses. The language on them will help you at least figure out what country it is, sometimes you can just search the business in Google Maps and then drop the pin in the exact spot to get a really high score. This doesn’t work all the time, but it’s fairly useful

1 Like

OMG that sounds amazing

1 Like

The worst is when they drop you in a generic road in a pine-tree laden area like Canada, Norway, or Sweden. Your only clues are street signs. I’ve seen some dreadful looking places in Russia playing this game too

I’ve created my own geoguessr challege on or around golf courses in the US.

You’ll need to create an account to play, but let me know how it is.

2 Likes

Humble brag… image

1 Like

Put together a full list of courses I’ve researched or am interested in playing. It’s a ridiculous list and I know I will likely never get to the majority. But it was fun to put together. There is a Google map in the link below that is list format.

1 Like

Love the google maps courses I want to play format. We should get a megathread going with everyone;s courses.

2 Likes

I’m definitely here for it!

I have one I did a little bit on previously but will polish up before I share. It’s all public and I have it broken out by a few architects, Sugarloaf Hidden Gems that caught my eye, tour stops, former major venues, and am planning on adding that Fried Egg public lists, as well as maybe a top public list if I can decide which one.

I am welcoming any feedback on what to throw on there, as well as how to sort them. There is so much carryover that I can’t figure out the best way to categorize them.

1 Like

We sort of have that.

1 Like

That is all budget stuff though right? Not anything wrong with that, just limits it.

I just went by regions of the world. Only 10 layers allowed so I stuck with that.