Golf Stimulus - What can we do?

As we all know the hospitality industry is taking a huge hit right now. I thought it would be nice to create a place where people can drop some locations and courses that will need support after this crisis has passed. I plan on using any stimulus money that gets rolled out to support the game we all love. Hope we can all come together to support the places within the game that need us now more than ever. With that said hopefully we can get out and play some golf at all of these places soon.

1 Like

Big push on social media to support Brora across the pond.

3 Likes

It may not be possible financially for folks to do something like this, but I’m at least considering it next summer assuming I stay employed and keep racking up PTO without being able to travel to use it.

My answer was:

It’s also just a fun exercise.
Shoutout @LyingFour

2 Likes

This is actually a great idea and something very doable both in the UK and the US as well for people who can’t get can’t get across the pond.

For Brora, you can become a member simply by signing up - no sponsors required. It’s like 400GBP, which isn’t beanbag, but I’m sure it goes a long way. I tried to login and maybe buy something from their pro shop but like most small shops, they don’t have anything listed for sale online, just a note about how their pro shop has lots of cool stuff. :wink:

2 Likes

@Tron saw your instagram story about wanting to help Brora and it seems like a lot of us would also like to help. Any way you know about that we could buy some merch from them to try to help?
Maybe @MerchCzar could get some type of NLU/Brora tshirts or hats or something? Not sure I’ll ever get the chance to go play there, but I’d hate to see a place like that close down and would like to help.

2 Likes

Hey tdogg thanks for asking - working on some options with both Brora and Carne as we speak. Should have some ways to support come tomorrow.

20 Likes

It’s good to see people doing whatever they can to support. Hopefully we can build out a list of courses we can support all over the world. Really trying to do anything I can to support the courses that can’t survive on name alone. Would hate to see the great public courses that I’m sure a lot of us grew up learning the game on go under.

1 Like

@Tron just posted this on Twitter:

My Brora towel has been ordered. An easy and affordable way to do what I can.

[Edited to add: I just started also cleaning up my golf stuff in my office and realized this will be the sixth golf towel I own that I would actually use (I have a few others that were gifts that I need to either regift or donate)…but happy anyway to add this to the collection.]

5 Likes

supports munis & not country clubs

3 Likes

Just bought a towel as well

2 Likes

Planning on purchasing one as well. Hoping to help as many courses as possible during all this. Keeping my eyes and ears peeled for any other courses that need the support.

1 Like

I was just able to access and buy some merch from the Brora online shop. Definitely check back, some really great stuff in there.

1 Like

They’ve got a link on their twitter page. I just bought a beautiful sweater

2 Likes

Here is the link for anyone who didn’t see it on Twitter. Some really cool items, but good for them, bad for us, a lot of stuff is selling out.

1 Like

In a selfish way, kinda bummed places like brora and carne are going mainstream. I’ve been looking at overseas life memberships (for way to long) and Carne has somewhat recently removed the overseas membership info from their website and replaced it with a contact them for more info.

Good for the club definitely but bad for schmucks like me with no real contacts and a budget.

All that being said obviously if they are concerned about survival it’s a whole different story.

1 Like
5 Likes

Somewhat related to this, Linksoul made a DOPE t-shirt (which I’ve purchased) with 100% of the proceeds going to a charity for folks displaced by COVID-19:

5 Likes

I saw the Brora initiative, great! Was wondering if there is anything else we can do for other clubs to get through Covid-19 and cashflow issues. I (plan to) play Carne in August, and I know they are having a tough time, having had to lay-off some of the workforce already.

I just bought a voucher to spend in the future in the Carne Pro Shop (yes, that beautiful club in North Western Ireland). Amazing course, am sure you have seen this in T Sauce Ireland. Or one could buy vouchers for greenfees in future as well.

Since such friendly people at Carne, please support, I believe @Tron is already investigating a bit as well what we can do in a more coordinated way for places like Brora, such as Cullen and Carne

E.

3 Likes

I believe the last overseas life membership offer from Carne was around €5000. I am sure they would work with you on a price at this point.