Golf in pop culture

Holy shit, that take is nuclear.

4 Likes

Great answer. I remember being kinda surprised by LD’s swing.

I had never seen Caddyshack until last month. I love movies, and even terrible movies I can derive a serious amount of joy from. I have watched the Fast and Furious franchise and the Transformers franchises front to back several times. I grew up watching old comedy movies that were Caddyshack’s contemporaries. I effectively have a degree in defending bad movies online. I cannot begin to tell you how excited I was to sit down and finally watch Caddyshack, a film made by some of my favorite comedians that revolves around my favorite sport.

It’s basically a golf-themed, mediocre episode of SNL.

Me, after watching it:

It’s a replacement-level comedy of the era. Not bad, not great. It’s got a handful of decent jokes, but it’s not remotely close to being an all-timer.

7 Likes

Coming spring 2020…the heart warming family comedy “Muni” - based on a true story.

The show centers around a group of three high school friends working at a local 9-hole municipal course. Manning the carts, working the grill, running the mini-golf(!) - they have learned to expect the unexpected.

Featuring an unforgettable cast of unforgettable characters:

• The crusty old marshall who listened to Rush Limbaugh on a battery-powered radio at max volume and never left the shade of the trees between the 3rd and 4th hole
  • The pack of street-wise middle schoolers wandering in from the basketball courts to steal candy and gatorades
  • The team of three managers who combined to play 9 holes per year yet still set the direction and policy for the course
  • Four cantankerous old regulars who come to the course every morning for packaged pastries and bad coffee but haven’t played in at least 5 years

And with exploits such as:

• “How’d that cart get in the pond?”
  • “No, it’s your turn to call animal control”
  • “We still have tennis courts?” and
  • “I know your van is a rockin’ and hate to interrupt this romantic occasion but it’s 11:30 pm and I have to close the gates…”

(Hey…it’s still gotta be better than Shotmakers, right?)

4 Likes

Yikes, enough said! You should probably be willing to entertain that you have very poor taste in movies.

4 Likes

In loving memory of Deadspin:

Sports Comedy Films, ranked.

1. Major League
  2. Talladega Nights
  3. Shaolin Soccer
  4. Happy Gilmore
  5. Goon
  6. Cool Runnings
  7. Baseketball
  8. The Longest Yard
  9. YouTube compilations of sports bloopers with inexplicably loud movie soundtracks playing over them
  10. The 10hr video of the Butt Fumble
  11. Getting hit by a truck
  12. The 60-minute tv cut of Caddyshack
  13. Caddyshack

I have long held the belief that Caddyshack isn’t the amazing comedy which every golfer claims it is, it is simply an ok movie whose status has been elevated by lack of competition. If it was a baseball movie it wouldn’t make anyone’s top 20 list. However, putting Happy Gilmore in your top-4 of all Sports Comedy Films when it is actually a worse golf movie than Caddyshack means I can’t have you over for movie night.

9 Likes

I put it there to piss off the Caddyshack fans, so we’re still good. It’s between bloopers and butt fumble for me.

1 Like

The more important question here, what’s better, Caddyshack or Caddyshack 2?

I think it takes numerous watches to truly enjoy it, at least it did for me.

For me and my group of friends, it’s one of those highly quotable movies - like Office Space, Anchorman, or Big Lebowski. None of these movies are great but they grow on you and become classics in your own mind.

1 Like

Big Lebowski is a great film.

9 Likes

Golf plays a minor but not insignificant role in Lodge 49 on AMC, which is a woefully underappreciated show that was just cancelled this week. A couple characters have a weekly tee time at a local muni and just hack around, but it’s definitely relatable and doesn’t feel forced.

The golf scenes in entourage were usually well done, but nobody on that show could swing a golf club. Jeremy Piven shouldn’t be allowed near a golf course.

Agree with you @Shankadelic. Not sure Animal House has aged well either, but both are definitely in the firmament of pop culture if you are older than a certain age (and to Sarah’s point, a guy).

2 Likes

The Big Lebowski isn’t a great movie and Caddyshack isn’t funny? What the F is going on in this thread?

Let’s nuke this thing and move on for the good of mankind.

12 Likes

Maybe this is just me, but quoting movies is like the cringiest thing.

2 Likes

20 Likes

Goddammit.

1 Like

You have to be age 24 or younger.

I don’t think a 24-year-old is going to put Major League at the top of their Sports Comedy films…

1 Like

I get your point, but I’m 29 and I grew up pretty much exclusively watching comedy movies from around that time with my dad. Caddyshack is a perfectly fine movie, but it isn’t particularly great in any way. I’ll concede that it’s influential to a certain degree, but that’s more indicative of novelty rather than quality.