Since TS:The Carolinas has devolved into discussion of Nassau’s and pressing. I figured we could come up with a thread to discuss the finer points of what we play, how we play it, and maybe the stories behind it.
The pretty simple game I grew up playing was called Umbrella. Two man teams playing against each other. One point on each hole available for the following:
- Low ball - lower score from each team are compared. Lower score gets the point.
- High ball - higher score from each team are compared. Lower score gets the point.
- Greenie - closest to the pin in regulation gets the point
- Birdie - if one person (or both on the same team) birdies the hole, their team gets the point. If someone from each team birdies the hole, no one gets the point.
- Putts - lower combined putts between the two teams
If a team takes all five points, it’s an Umbrella and counts as ten points.
Presses are for the hole and double the points.
Amount of money per point was decided before the round, but for our broke high school selves, was typically a quarter a point.