Golf Environmentalists

tenor

Strongly prefer the phrasing “short course” over “pitch and putt” when describing BCN. Don’t love the stigma that comes with the phrase “pitch and putt”. We wouldn’t call the Sandbox at Sand Valley or the Preserve at Bandon a “pitch and putt” would we?

At the end of the day, it is what it is and falls in the pitch and putt category. But does Flushings Pitch and Putt have a 4K sq ft Redan of a Biarritz Punch Bowl?! I think not!

4 Likes

thats why i called for shots fired.

@Sarah gave yardages, and @anon26814599 came in hot with pitch and putt.

1 Like

here you are mr. nebraskan peanut gallery (@aannddyy00) :

“if big course golf dies in the US, and all we have left is short courses, i will be sad. but i will still play golf”

not rolling back any takes

You can say thats “not rolling back any takes” but thats rolling back a take.

do you know how to read with context?

Sarah said: the future of golf is in short courses
I said: darn, that would be unfortunate.

you can’t quote me out of context.

What I’m trying to get at is that golf courses are going to be harder and harder to justify as land (and housing) becomes the highest premium in places that continue to be inhabitable. Maybe the best we can hope for as far as playing outside is concerned are really short, handful of holes type courses that have a small environmental impact (ie less water). Or maybe golf simulators will be the only option.

I haven’t studied this at all. Just my speculation as someone who loves golf but recognizes how it can be incompatible with my high-cost of living area and how it may not be compatible with overall environmental concerns.

1 Like

Sorry, i included the “context” of your “privilege”.

I think suburbs are a far bigger waste of space than golf courses. Population density is nowhere near an issue in the US.

5 Likes

Thanks for going after me, personal shots included. My take still stands as original, not sure what you got out of this.

1 Like

Just because you take something personally, doesnt mean its personal.

Many places on earth have very little drinkable water, we pour billions of gallons (maybe trillions) of drinkable water on our courses each year. Madness.

1 Like

This is a personal shot. Maybe, for once, stop going after me and jumping on all of my takes. After all of this, my take still stands as originally made. You didn’t get anything clarified, or rile up Ben (@sundaybag) as you intended to. But you can have it your way too.

not really man.

for someone who talks about his privilege so much, including it in the context of Sarah take that full length golf courses would be difficult to access for ‘regular joes’.

this says: “if you want to play outside, you will play on short courses, because that’s the best that will be available.”

are you complaining about her phrasing? are you saying my “privilege” is being able to read that sentence and understand it?

sorry come again about your “regular joes” thing?

This is some good environmentalism talk

13 Likes

Took about 20 posts for this well intentioned thread to go off the rails. Could be a new record!

4 Likes

Talk to Ian Andrew. He had some interesting thoughts recently on Twitter about the interplay between equipment rollback and environmental/land/water concerns.

1 Like

Land use issues only apply to a select few courses located in dense urban areas. A lot of those are private and the members have more money than the Federal Reserve, so hard to see anything happening with them.

City owned Muni Courses in dense urban areas are another story and most probably are more valuable and better used as something other than a golf course, but there are not enough of them to drastically effect the golf landscape.

Water use seem to be the biggest long-term issue that would affect a larger cross sections of the game. If water become scare and too expensive then that could drastically change the game with courses both closing and existing courses having to change their conditions to survive.

Single use plastic. Don’t really think golf is even a drop in the bucket here. Straws and water cups? A course won’t use as much single use plastic in a month as a McD will use in a day.

5 Likes

The city of Minneapolis is shutting down a muni course to turn it into a community garden.