Golf carts with GPS (Rage Against The Machines)

Am I the only person who hates these? I mean when I’m playing a new course, it’s nice to see hole layouts on the screen and being able to tap the monitor and get distance readouts. But the insta-braking when you stray half a wheel off a cart path, or come within 100 yards of a green, drives me absolutely crazy. When did we stop trusting people to not drive like decent human beings?

7 Likes

I walk. No idea what you are talking about.

5 Likes

Completely out on having to back out slowly with the damn thing beeping like the alarms at Ft Knox went off if you deign to stray 3 yards off course.

3 Likes

People who ride instead of walking (without a medical exemption) aren’t trustworthy anyway so it’s a fair assessment

and before you say “it’s not a walkable course”… if it’s not… you sure it’s got good architecture? maybe you’re in a housing development

:wink:

3 Likes

I’ve ended up in more sketchy situations because of that damn auto-brake. Stuck on a hill, no where near enough power to go backwards, no ability to go forward…

1 Like

I too enjoy walking. But in the winter months when you’re trying to squeeze in 9 between getting out of the office and before sundown, carts are logistically the only real options.

if it’s cart path only and strictly enforced (a la GPS), how much time can it really save?

2 Likes

Can’t wait for you to come visit Colorado

5 Likes

It can def save a few min a hole so long as the paths aren’t miles from the fairways. And def helps wherever tee boxes and greens are long walks apart. That alone can cobble together 10-20 min some places.

Also, in a cart I could theoretically hang out the side with a flask in one hand and that pirate putter you sold me in the other and scream ARRRRR!!!

Haven’t tried that yet but maybe Halloween next year?

3 Likes

Glad you threw the qualifier in there. Or else I’d have accused you of slandering John Daly

3 Likes

The audacity.

Of him or me?

Him. Obviously.

1 Like

expand plz

1 Like

I wish more of our courses were walkable. Maybe I’m just ridic out of shape (true) but hiking a mountain a few times a round, plus pushing/carrying, and golfing, minus oxygen…it gets to me

2 Likes

I have a 90 degree rule for walking in CO.

No. Not 90 degree enter/exit into the fairway with a cart.

If it’s over 90 degrees I ain’t walking.

3 Likes

Some of you have never enjoyed the technological marvel that is The Shark Experience and it shows

5 Likes

In Colorado, we have these big things called mountains :mountain_snow:. Like you, if you were made out of rocks and not lobstah rolls and chowdah. The mountains go up big, and down big. Golf courses go up and down big mountains. Also rich people build houses on mountains. Golf course architects design big mountain golf around houses.

Also, mountains = high altitude = no oxygen to breathe.

All of this

Equals:

Lots of elevation change
Lots of walking between green & tee
Not a lot of oxygen at altitude to help me breathe

Equals:
Some courses no fun to walk

6 Likes

I should have applied this in Georgia this summer. Walked in 105 one day. Probably shoulda been hospitalized after.

ok but now explain it like I’m five

3 Likes