Golf and Photography

Just FYI, used is a great option. Check Amazon under the “other sellers” tab for anything sold by Amazon Warehouse, as you can just return it easily if you don’t like it. eBay is a great option for used cameras too but a little more risky.

Lots of sweet deals to be had out there for used cameras.

1 Like

Love the discussion here! I usually don’t take pictures of golf related stuff, but I do take pictures of my kids which is really tough because they’re always moving. I won’t say “definitely buy this” or “don’t buy that” but I’ll state some observations I’ve made over the last year with my limited photography experience.

Apple does an amazing job at calibrating their cell phone cameras to adjust for exposure times, ISO, and f stops to get the “right” looking image. Any other consumer camera’s auto setting is not going to be as good, which can be frustrating when you’re looking at blurry images that you took with a “good” camera. Where cell phone cameras fall short is the zoom. If you want a zoomy image then you gotta get something better.

Never use the full auto setting on a Nikon or canon. They suck. The shutter speed and f stop will always be wrong. I prefer aperture priority mode, where you set the f stop to what you want and it calculates the right exposure. If I want all my kids in focus then I choose something f/4 or higher. If I want one kid in focus and the background blurry I choose f/2 or lower. It’s easier to get everything in focus with a higher f stop. Also, the focus seems to be crisper with an f4 setting, but maybe that’s just my lens.

Shooting on overcast days is easier. You dont have to worry about where he suns coming from or what the right angle is for the best lighting. Too many shadows mixed with bright spots can be frustrating.

The single focal length lenses (not zoom) seem to have sharper focus than the zooms. I believe these are called “prime lenses”. Just my observation.

2 Likes

Or, learn to force perspective by moving your arse to a place that makes a more interesting shot. Get low. Get things like tee markers in heavy foreground. Big wide shots are generally awful unless it’s the Himilayas.

Alright, so after much internal debate I think I’ve settled at the Sony a6000. Anyone have any personal experience? Seems to be a pretty slim workhorse camera that’s set up to be a well performing camera for many years to come.

1 Like

I’m leaning towards the same thing… Check pre owned on amazon. Amazing deals

Just an update…my “used” camera from Amazon Warehouse came yesterday and as I suspected, it’s basically new. The “nick” they claimed was on the front of the camera is non-existent and it was repacked with all brand new accessories and literature.

The box has a few creases in it, but besides that everything in the box was literally new and if the camera was used it must have been for a few pictures and sent back. Brand new it cost $950, this used one was $630 and if I didn’t like it I could just send it back to Amazon.

10/10 would recommend buying from Amazon Warehouse under the “other sellers” section of Amazon.

2 Likes

You picked up the Sony RX100 V right?

Yep! So far I’ve only started going through the menus and changing all of the settings (changing shortcut buttons, adding picture profiles, etc.) and I love it. Can’t wait to get it out on a golf course sometime soon.

Feels like I stole it for that price too.

3 Likes

Yeah, excellent price for that camera. Can’t wait for you to share with us what you go out and capture!

1 Like

Just skimmed the thread but I’m another Fuji convert after shooting Canon DLSR’s and (here’s a throwback for the heads out there) Canon 1N. We’ve switched all of our work gear to Fuji XT-1, XT-3 & XH-1 with a bunch of glass. So much nicer to be able to load up a pack with two bodies and four lenses and still only feel like you’re carrying a Canon body and long lens. Never really shot any golf (mostly fly fishing & landscapes these days) but anything from Sony of Fuji in the mirrorless world will be great to have hanging in the bag.

1 Like

That’s what my wife & I bought last week. I really like it so far.

Ahh… yeah… I want to see those too! Spent my childhood fishing for salmon on the fly in the west of Ireland.

So I ended up going with a Sony a5100 for my golf trip. I think it turned out ok.

24 Likes

better than most

9 Likes

Great shots there! Nicely done!

1 Like

Some really good shots JBors! Looks like you had one hell of a trip :slight_smile:

1 Like

That shot of #13 is just gorgeous. Well done!

1 Like

Anybody who wants to see some great shots of Masters 2019 from credential media, check out Christain Hafer @hafe_life (on instagram). Links and stuff in bio. Unique style, but he has some killer shots.

2 Likes

Man won a spot in the press lottery :hushed: could be some big time photos

3 Likes

Your boy needs a Reddit account and a link to r/aww…

2 Likes