Golf and Photography

Here are the images (not mine) I referred to in my first comment. Kendrick Lamar concert shot on a point and shoot, edited on his phone using VSCO:

1 Like

I love that photo! That was definitely me as a kid, was and still am a goalie :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Walking: Much easier to take photos, just keep moving after others in your group hit their shots. I ALWAYS have the camera out inbetween shots when Iā€™m walking, cause Iā€™m usually looking around for different angles/things to shoot/etc. The camera is usually on a JOBY mount so I can have video ready to go as well (thank goodness for the easy on/off bracket)

Riding: If youā€™re riding alone, buzz around and grab whatever you can! But if youā€™re riding with another player, Iā€™m usually out of the cart when theyā€™re playing and literally running around to grab different shots. Riding with a partner is the most restricted form of shooting IMO, but you can still find some good spots if youā€™re not afraid to jog here and there. I keep the camera in the front-well of the golf cart if Iā€™m riding.

1 Like

Editing wise: Adobe Lightroom is our bread and butter in the sports world, and I know thereā€™s a ā€œfreeā€ app version for mobile available if you donā€™t want to pay for a full subscription.

Iā€™ll usually pull the drone out if theres a group in front of us. Otherwise iā€™ll only take a quick pic with my phone.

I use Lightroom for all of my work.

And if we are shamelessly plugging ourselves feel free to check my work out (IG: cbechard) :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Goalies represent! :facepunch:

2 Likes

What is everyoneā€™s approach to capturing the game? What aspects of a round do you enjoy capturing the most? What do you think makes a photo more ā€œuniqueā€ than what you typically see in print or in mainstream golf media?

I have Monday practice round tickets this year and really want to invest into a camera to capture the experience (going to Pinehurst leading up so plan to snap quite a few pics).

Are either of these good options and decent price points? Just starting my research and know pretty much nothing about cameras. My price range is $500 or less.

https://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebel-T6-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100288979.html

https://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3500-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100461398.html

Both of those will be capable of taking great pictures, but just know that a DSLR is pretty cumbersome. You will definitely need a bag of some kind to carry either of those plus a spare lens around with you, which isnā€™t a huge deal but you will have to think about how it impacts your setup.

Most of the others mentioned above are mirrorless cameras, which are notoriously more compact and easy to carry.

All things youā€™ll just want to take into consideration.

1 Like

Besides size, what would be the main pro/con between the Canon DSLR and say the Canon G7X?

Take a look at this comparison: https://www.imaging-resource.com/cameras/canon/t6i/vs/canon/g7x-mark-ii/

2 Likes

Was there on Wednesday in 2018. It is awesome to walk the course when everyone is over at the Par 3. Watch the crew prepping it for the next day. Make awesome convo with the volunteers just hanging out by tee boxes. Photos with very few people in them, but enough to give shots scale if you want. Very cool.

1 Like

Technically, drones can take still pics too (I know my Phantom can), so drone chat in here is valid.

As for advice, Iā€™d go for the Mavic for filming while playing. My Phantom is great but I only use it when Iā€™m there to film and not to play. Drones take a while to get good shots. Theyā€™re not just point, shoot and move on. And you have to perfect the low twisting crabbing shot if you want to get wood.

Donā€™t forget the Public Domian electronic pop music in the background!

1 Like

Oh, I just steal music from Deadmaus.

Agreed. Go mirrorless. Donā€™t be this guy:

(Iā€™ve been trying to find an excuse to use this photo from an ad I saw earlier today).

5 Likes

Picked up the my M50 today on the way to having my first hit as a member at my new club. Was planning on getting rid of my clubs and walking the course when the sun dropped more but it dropped behind some clouds.

Itā€™s a touch heavier than ideal for throwing in my bag, can definitely feel it pulling on my left shoulder when Iā€™m walking. Will probably buy a neoprene case with a carabiner so I can just snap it on to the towel clip to even out the weight.

23 Likes

Good lord, what course is that?

5 Likes

Bonnie Doon in Sydney

edit: an OCCM (Mike Clayton & co) redesign thatā€™s about to have to final 4 holes open in 6 weeks. Shout if youā€™re in town.

4 Likes