Golden Age Classic 2.0 (Now taking votes for GAC 2.5 on post 343)

Before we begin organizing the 2021 Golden Age Classic, let us all pause for a brief moment to reflect on last year’s event where @cgroom beat @EdEddEddie so thoroughly that the man walked off the golf course after ten holes. It was the toughest of scenes…
Actually the toughest scene was the McMaxwells proper defeat of the Higgs Bryson Particles resulting in @DuckDuckHook having to execute a Perry Maxwell meets Old Tom Morris impersonation at the Sweetens Super Regional

Alright now that the stroll down memory lane is complete, sign-ups are open for the 2021 Golden Age Classic (proposals to change the name to either Colligan Cup or the Hotter Than Hell Plaque are stuck in committee).

For now, we just have a sign up sheet while the committee works to iron out details on courses. The initial plan is to follow last year’s format of:

Morning @ Course 1 - 18 hole best ball
Lunch somewhere nearby (Terry Black’s BBQ went quite well last year)
Afternoon @ Course 2 - 18 hole singles

We will again be raising money for the I Am A Golfer Foundation. Last year, our 25 players raised over $2,000 for the foundation and I expect us to exceed that this year with a longer lead time hopefully leading to higher participation (tagging in @Lazstradamus now so he doesn’t find out about the event 36 hours out again).

Details on merchandise, courses, format changes, the return of Bob Sturm (he’s given me a tentative yes pending Cowboys training camp schedule), and possible NIT qualification spots will follow in the coming weeks.

As always, if anybody has any questions…direct them to @DuckDuckHook as he’s much better at timely responses.

20 Likes

The fact that @DuckDuckHook wore this in some #sick humidity (at least to this Montana boy) receives major kudos!

4 Likes

Signed up. Really hoping this is the first event I can make it to. This far out it shouldn’t be an issue, so I’ve got it on the calendar alrwady.

1 Like

Look, my pores were forged in the mosquito-ridden, concrete swamps of NW Houston.

It was miserable and I immediately changed into a t-shirt after the first nine

5 Likes

I’d recommend any future bets don’t carry the threat of heat stroke.

1 Like

Don’t let him fool you. He was wearing Mizzen and Main performance fabrics :wink:

2 Likes

Dang, I’ve got a bachelor party that weekend. Was a fun event last year but can’t make it back. Someone walk all 36 in my honor!

1 Like

Might be in Dallas around this time so I’ll go ahead and put my name down.

2 Likes

I’ll fly in for this. Lived in Dallas for 7 years, just moved away last fall. Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

Can’t arrange coverage for that weekend or I’d be coming in from Tulsa. Someday I’ll #getinvolved, promise. Looks like a blast.

1 Like

Sun sleeves arrived in the mail today, so went ahead and signed up

7 Likes

Pencil me in for this one!

2 Likes

A true legend joining us. The forecast should be pretty easy for this one. Damn hot.

7 Likes

@DuckDuckHook - rematch Sunday afternoon?? I’ll have to warn you - I’ve played at least twice since our last duel.

2 Likes

Reports are leaking out of committee meetings that a Saturday night Golden Tee tournament might be worked into festivities…stay tuned to see if this ever makes it to a floor vote.

6 Likes

A night out in Uptown/Deep Ellum could get spicy.

7 Likes

One quick update…

For now, we are speaking with local courses about this being a 40 person event so I’ve updated the spreadsheet to note that those below 40 will be considered waitlisted for the time being. Our thinking is that with 40 players we can still go out in tee times rather than having to fill up a course for a shotgun start. We will keep everybody updated as this evolves…

2 Likes

Signed up and puuuuuuuuumped to finally #getinvolved. This also encourages me to finally get off my ass and get an official handicap before the festivities begin

2 Likes

@Insulin_And_Bogeys
@nvaji12
@nickp
@DuckDuckHook
@the_korn_ferry
@Jarrizle
@cgroom
@tf1290
@McRiddles
@SliceyMcShankerston

We are currently in talks with Cedar Crest about doing 36 holes on Saturday, July 24 instead of splitting across two courses on Sunday, July 25.

8am - Morning Fall Ball matches
1230pm - Lunch at course
2pm to 240pm - Alt shot tee times (8 people per tee time playing 4 balls)
730pm (est) - Dinner and evening activities elsewhere

Please mark your availability in the new column of the spreadsheet. Thanks!

7 Likes