Game Changing Clubs/Equip You've Implemented into Your Bag

@Waldorf98 @timshel

It costs currently around £100 in the uk, no monthly fees, no setup costs.

Sometimes it doesn’t get the pin positions accurate because it simply doesn’t know where they are, but that can be corrected.

Tbh I use it to count putts more than accuracy to the pin.

In terms of missing shots, it will only miss shots if you forget to tap the gps unit with the butt end of your club (where you will have screwed in an nfc club tag).

If you do forget to tap, just walk back and tap it, or if you’re on the next tee you can hit up the app and add the shot, sounds like hassle but it really isn’t.

GPS accuracy is fine, I’ve had no trouble with it whatsoever.

Auto upload at the end of the round and the stats come rolling in.

The website and app is really good, very clear and intuitive. There isn’t stat overload.

There is a newer version out I believe that doesn’t require a FPS unit on your belt buckle (which is the version I have), probably means you don’t have to tap.

I can’t recommend this enough, it certainly gives me an additional level of feedback.

This isn’t an equipment change but ever since Game Golf and Arccos were released I was interested in getting it. I could never quite pull the trigger so I actually made my own excel sheet to calculate strokes gained on the course. I got the inspiration from a GolfWRX thread so don’t want to make it sound like I came up with this idea.

But I learned more about my golf game from tracking a couple rounds and calculating some basic metrics than I did doing almost anything else.

It does take some work on the course to capture the necessary data and a few minutes after the round to input it but it is a free alternative to Game Golf/Arccos.

This is pretty impressive for the data output. I bought an Arccos Gen1 used and have used it for several rounds. I’m not disappointed but I’m not overly impressed either.

The game changer for me has been been more about shaft selection rather than clubs. I few years ago, When I decided to move on from my trusted Hogan Apex irons and older Taylor Made Woods (TP R-5), the selection came down to a toss up between Titleist (AP2) and Mizuno (MP-59) irons, and Calaway (Epic) and Titleist (917) driver/3 wood/hybrids. I picked these clubs simply based on how they felt, how they sounded, and how the looked at address. That is where the fitting process started…

The revelation to me as I went through the fitting process was the difference shaft selection made to the overall performance. For years, I had played TrueTemper S-100/200/300 for my irons, and what ever stiff shaft came with the driving clubs. This time, I got properly fitted and ended up going to a lighter shaft (KBS), which gave me more spin, a slightly higher ball flight, a tighter dispersion pattern, and an extra 5-20 yards (5 on pw, progressive increase to 20 on 4 iron). I also added 1 inch in length and had the irons set up 1 degree upright to fit my height and my hand height at address. All this combined to give me a much more consistent traj and a crisp and vibration-free impact.

For the driver, I went through 13 different shafts, with the best being 70+ yards longer than the worst. Yes, that’s right, 70 yards, no typo! Now, the biggest changes were with spin rate, launch angle, and smash factor. Changing loft and pro-fade/draw lie had some impact, but this was nowhere as important as shaft selection. Given that most higher-end driver heads are maxed out when it comes to COR (% imparted energy/speed at impact), the shaft is where most of the energy gains are achieved. I saw a variety of launch angles and smash factors with other shafts, but the biggest divergence was with spin rate, which exceeded 4500 rpm with the worst shaft fitting for my swing. In the end, I settled on a stiff Graphite Design AD DI-6s shaft which gave me numbers of 2100-2500 rpm, 13* launch angle, and 1.45+ smash factor with the driver. I also tried the exact same shaft with both the Titleist and Calaway heads and, other than feel and sound at impact, the numbers were almost identical. It’s true, the shaft is the engine!

Now, my experience is only based on my own swing, and it is limited to lower handicap clubs only (hate that categorization - perhaps “less forgiving” is more PC). This said, and given the differences at play here, I am confident in extrapolating the benefits of proper shaft fitting across the club spectrum. A true game changer in my mind.

Moral of the story is get fitted, try different shaft types, weights, stiffness for all your clubs, not just the driver. Get what you need, don’t limit your selection to what is on offer. Try different clubs makes, and benefit from the different fitting technology each club maker offers. Take all the info and then apply it to get the clubs that work best for you.

Next time, I’ll tell you about my search for the best putter “for me”!

Definitely this. As a high-ball hitter in general I could never hit hybrids off the tee as they would balloon - especially into the wind. When Titliest came out with the 712u I grabbed one and never looked back. The driving iron has completely changed the game at the top level too - I saw a stat recently that said driving irons are in something like 2/3 of the guy’s bags on a given week, almost exclusively to the hybrid’s detriment. The penetrating ball-flight of a long iron + the playability and forgiveness of a wider sole/hotter face is a no brainer for anyone that feels they hit the ball too high with a hybrid.

Callaway Rogue Driver adjusted to a draw bias and for more loft. For my out-to-in swing, it added 10 to 15 yards off the tee and took the right side of the course out of play. Even if I miss the fairway, I’m a full club closer to the green. That extra loft out of the rough is helping a ton to get GIRs when I’m in the thick stuff. My game was wandering off a bit, and now I’ve stabilized the long game and my handicap at 6.5 - 7.

Just put the Rogue irons into play, as well. Still dialing those in at the moment (first iron upgrade since I took up the game in 2012). Definitely a fan of how they feel. Those, and maybe a ball-striking lesson or two and I’m hoping to get down to a 5 or 5.5 by year’s end (October, here in Ohio).

tl;dr - the Rogue Driver is tits.

Single Length Irons - i thought it was BS until I tried them and got fit for them. My 4 iron is a weapon now unlike in the past I was scared to hit it

I picked up the draw-biased M4 at the beginning of the summer and, while I’m not yet a generational driver of the golf ball, it has improved my drives exponentially. Has definitely made me a believer of the draw biased clubs helping with the out-to-in swings. A buddy of mine just got a Rogue though - the ball flies off that club!

Yeah, the only way I can describe the Rogue is that it feels a little like hitting a golf ball with an aluminum bat - that sort of rocketing slingshot thing that happens where the ball flies off the face faster than you expected.

Also “not yet a generational driver of the golf ball” got a genuine lol. :+1:

Can’t believe no one else is in on the revolution…