Future Tourist Sauce Ideas

I’m glad that someone else does this, I thought I was a big time weirdo. I’m a copywriter for a travel company so I spend a ton of time on Google Maps checking out random places that I’m writing about, and I love finding completely off the wall golf courses. One that comes to mind is the Windhoek Country Club, which also has a lodging option where we stay on one of our South African tours. Firm + fast like you read about:

3 Likes

that place looks sick. fairways running perpendicular to a runway? yes please

1 Like

One that no one has thrown out (as far as I can tell) is Iceland. I was supposed to go there for work a year ago and did some major research on the golf scene before ultimately having to bail on the trip when I got shingles. That was a bummer. But everything up there points toward the potential for a ridiculously captivating Tourist Sauce adventure. Courses winding through black veins of dried lava, heaving topography, superb views, a golf-crazy population who can only enjoy the game for like 3-4 months per year, midnight golf(!), hot springs, the guys tooling around the ring road in some rented van devouring the landscape and the famous Icelandic hot dogs in equal measure… sign me up.

2 Likes

That Course has a name: Nueva Vista

1 Like

Would love to see a Myrtle Beach Tourist Sauce/Strapped over lap.

C-Suite crew (Soly, Tron, DJ) have Myrtle as a base of operations and play Dunes, Caledonia, True Blue, etc but also fly private down to Charleston area in the mornings and play the Ocean Course, Cassique, Yeaman’s and on down to Hilton Head to play Harbour Town, Seccession, Long Cove.

Neil and Randy get their $500 to find as many POS thrown together designs down there that they can, incorporating a number of mid day putt putt rounds in between driving from course to course.

At the end of the day after C-Suite Crew dines at the only the $$$$ yelp section and Randy and Neil leave the Buffet with the giant crab doors, they reconvene at Thee Doll House or The Treasure Club to cover the day’s events.

9 Likes

No joke, I’ve been there. I didn’t play it, but saw it as I landed in Windhoek and visited it with a guy I met up with down there.

2 Likes

I’m thoroughly unsurprised :joy: #worldtravelersoly

0 Likes

South Africa as the NLU crew won’t be disappointed

Heck ZB can play in the South African Open

0 Likes

Gotta be pulling for Wisconsin or possibly general midwest season. Lawsonia, sand valley courses in Wisconsin absolutley gnarly. Swing over to Whistling have tron come face to face with the home of Jason Days only major, the scenes

0 Likes

Tourist Sauce: Western European Road Trip

I’ve tried to stay away from the ultra-exclusive or expensive clubs Valderrama (stinks like Satan’s taint anyway), Terre Blanche, Finca Cortesin, La Reserva, as rounds over $400,- are just not an option for most mortals, and most of them aren’t even that great in my honest opinion.

Start:

The Netherlands: Three of the finest links courses in Europe, and maybe even the world.

Noordwijkse
Kennemer (Open)
Koninklijke Haagsche (Royal Hague) – One of the best links courses in the world. Awesome use of land.

France:

Le Touquet (La Mer-course)
Hardelot (Les Pins) – You guys might like the Les Dunes-course as well, that one’s relatively short, might be a birdie fest.
Morfontaine (Grand Parcours)
Le Golf National – Not the most enjoyable, but I’d like to see if one of you can beat PReed’s 85.

Spain:

PGA Catalunya (Stadium Course) - This course is hard. There’s a reason the Q-school was staged here for ages. Despite this, it’s actually quite fun to play anyway
PGA Catalunya (Tour Course) – Less challenging than it’s big brother, but still a great course.
Platja de Pals – Just a truly shitty course. Just to trigger @thefriedegg . Trees. Every. Where.
El Prat (Open)
El Saler
Las Colinas
Torrequebrada
La Quinta (A+C)
Los Naranjos
Los Arqueros – A small, quirky track designed by Seve. It’s in a valley, with holes lines by rockface, and massive drops and climbs. Not the best course, but always very enjoyable

3 Likes

Even Morfontaine is playable. I had a golf-addicted colleague from our Australian office come over who desperately wanted to play it. So I called them about a month in advance, explained the situation, and we got a tee time with joined by a member. Think they charged about € 450,- /$ 525,- for the three of us.

0 Likes

I’ve never heard of that happening before, so massive chapeau for pulling that off.

There’s every chance they are softening their access rules, as Swinley Forest has in the last 10 years, which would be great because everyone needs to play the Valleire course there and get their mind blown! And play the main course too and see that even hearalded cathedrals of golf have shit holes – like the 13th with that fucking tree in front of the green! :grin:

0 Likes

New Mexico: Paa-Ko Ridge and Black Mesa are musts. Lots of other good courses around ABQ and Sante Fe.

1 Like

Banff area Canada. Mountain golf is unique and could totally be done.

• Kananaskis golf - 2 courses - Mount Kidd and Mount Lorette
  • Banff Springs
  • Stewart Creek
  • Canmore golf and curling club
  • Silvertip
  • Jasper Park Lodge Golf Course (although its pretty far from Banff)
1 Like

Wisconsin would be so perfect - can hit the high-profile courses like Erin, Whistling and SV but also there’s The Bull, Sentry World, Lawsonia. Heck even University Ridge

3 Likes

Lots of great suggestions and ideas.

One that may be too obvious, but the Surrey heathland courses south west of London. you’ve got Sunningdale, Swinley, Berkshire red/blue, Wentworth, St George’s Hill, New Zealand, Hankley Common, Hindhead, the 3 ‘W’s… etc etc…

Then swing down to Kent for Royal St. George’s, Princes…

Not sure how much of a story there is to be told other than world class golf at stuffy old man golf clubs

0 Likes

Vietnam - Fly in to Saigon or Hanoi but then head to Da Nang straight away - there are a heap of courses there now, designers include Norman, Montgomerie, Faldo and Luke Donald.

Or go to Mission Hills in China, and try to play as many of the courses in that one location (I think there are over 10)

1 Like

Is there much by way of either public golf, or any sort of social / nocturnal activity away from the golf courses in the Heathlands?

2 Likes

Ascot Racecourse when they’re running.

Windsor isn’t terribly far from the more northern heathland courses (Sunningdale, Swinley, Berkshire). More nightlife than Anstruther, less than London!

Could combine Huntercombe with the Henley Regatta and combine Sunningdale with Ascot Races. Make for a regal theme.

And then could combine Peter Aliss’s Traditions GC near West Byfleet with a day at Thorpe Park theme park for a chavvy counterpoint!

1 Like

Public courses there are plenty and it’s England, so always a pub round the corner. Struggling to think if there is anything interesting enough for tourist sauce other than the quality of golf.

Oh, and by the way, other than Wentworth all the courses I mentioned can be played by the public for a green fee

1 Like