Fix My Swing - A Safe Place (Non-Roasting Thread)

Opening up a thread to run a serious discussion around swings, individuals methodologies, and potential changes for the people brave enough to post.

The caveat to this is lessons with a good professional are nearly always going to be more useful, however i’m a swing nut and love talking about swings so i’m curious to hear and discuss everyones ideas.

Now i’m unfortunately not playing golf at the moment so hoping someone would be happy to start this thing off with a gif, or as it’s more about analysis, a link to a video.

6 Likes

I would add my swing, but I work with a coach I completely trust and would ignore any advice given. :sweat_smile:

Maybe I add mine as a “guess what I’m working on”?

Nice work starting the thread. Roast My Swing needs to maintain its purity as a safe haven… for no one.

4 Likes

Changed thread title to mirror the RMS thread.

Who’s up first? There’s like 15 guys on here ready to tell you to keep your head still and your left arm straight.

If you’re lucky, one of them might even try to get you shallow. #gucci

3 Likes

Hahaha, love it. I hit some balls last night and immediately behind me was a former club pro (in our state golf hall of fame) giving a 10 year old a lesson. On the other side of me was a middle aged man giving his adult son “tips”. One student was improving; the other is doomed.

Edit: Unfortunate too, because the adult son could absolutely smash it. He pumped a couple 6-irons about 215 in the air.

2 Likes

So many thoughts on this.

1. Lessons for 10 year olds are about as complicated as “Remember to line yourself up, Johnny.” Kids are crazy good at figuring it out themselves, and it’s fun to watch.
  2. There is nothing more comical than an adult who can’t break 90 “teaching” their offspring who could give them 10 a side.
  3. The absolute best (and what I see regularly at my range) is the two or three guys who collectively have broken 80 four times all trying to teach each other. Especially when one of them is convinced they have correctly diagnosed the other person, and then incessantly gives out the same command to “stay behind it” or “turn through it” for the next 15 minutes.
5 Likes

He might have been 12. Definitely had enough game to be worthy of a lesson. Great setup, wide turn, got to parallel, solid contact, etc. Only problem I saw? His dad and grandpa were helicoptering over the entire thing. Just go hit balls at the other end of the range guys.

1 Like

This x1000. When parents learn to let their kid OWN their participation in a sport is when the kid truly begins to thrive.

p.s. is this a record for shortest time for a thread to get off topic? we’re like 7 posts in.

3 Likes

Possibly, but we’re pretty thread-adjacent in the scheme of things; not totally off the rails.

1 Like

I decided as no-one has posted, to get this thing going. I’m not playing golf as above due to health atm so can’t actually change things, however i know in this old swing what i’d change and work on, lets hear some of your ideas.

2 Likes

Just curious…when your timing is off, do you hit a lot of shots fat? I am in no condition to “fix” a swing, I can only point out “oddities” that I see. And, to me, you seem to squat a decent amount as you start the downswing. Thoughts from the crowd?

1 Like

I never found i really struggled with fats as a miss or when timing was off, but curious to hear others thoughts.

There are many things i don’t do right in this swing (the transition and squat movement in this swing are both not where i’d want them), but i would still personally advocate for some level of squat into the ground. Again curious on others thoughts.

1 Like

Swing looks pretty good to me!
Club twirl on the range is SAUCEY.

1 Like

Your swing is way better than my coaching abilities…so, I can’t think of anything else to really say.

3 Likes

Definitely drop the vid of yours in here with the “guess what i’m working”. I would love to get some discussion about what preferences people have etc. Don’t mind if anything said is straight up ignored!

1 Like

Here we go:

4 Likes

Not even close.

3 Likes

Not to push out @holeout but dropping this here so people have swings to analyze.

1. I hate how high my hands finish but can’t seem to fix this.
  2. I know I lift my torso through impact and I think it’s a carry over from fixing my driver swing to get more launch off the tee.
2 Likes

I bet your swing has been virtually identical since you were 12. And it’s repeatable AF.

4 Likes

Great swing my man. Hard to be critical.

Your backswing is a touch on the slow side is about all I can say. I would imagine that you have trouble going after one when you need to - things probably get a bit out of sequence when you do.

1 Like

I do the same thing at impact!
I’ve been told to try closing the club face earlier. It looks like your club face is open close to impact also so you have to quickly close it and jerk your body up.

My back is fucked up at the moment so I haven’t been able to practice but please let me know if you make any progress.

1 Like