DMV Fall Classic: Charity Donation Details Posted

Greatest swing in the history of the game? Most likely. Imagine what Snead could do with today’s equipment. But it’s more fun knowing he was so damn good with the clubs and ball in his day.

I think the big announcement is something about nandy coming

Yeah, but is he as SMART as Bryson?

1 Like

I’d put guys like Snead, Hogan, Nicklaus, Trevino, or Watson up against Bryson any time.

1 Like

Sometimes knowing when to do it the way its always been done is the smart play

My hot take is that players like Snead and Hogan would have still be great (probably better), but their competitors would have been much better. I think the new equipment evens the playing field because you don’t have to be as precise on every swing.

2 Likes

I think that’s probably right. The great players would always have been great. But as equipment has become more forgiving, it decreases the gap between the great players and those less talented.

1 Like

3 Likes

Just seeing this now. I am supposed to be in Reston for a work adjacent thing sept 28-oct 3, could probs squeeze in something around that.

3 Likes

@RobertHunter any thoughts as to the course? The non-archaic part of me would throw Bulle Rock or Whiskey Creek out there. But maybe Royal Manchester better suits the likes of you golf masochists! Or Laurel Hill, Potomac Shores (a Nicklaus! I know!), or even Renditions (a little old and new!).

Also wouldn’t be opposed to a Refuge member hosting us at Congo, RTJ, Burning Tree, Philly Cricket, etc. :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve reached out to the Baltimore Classic Five folks a few times and have been getting a bit of the workaround. Not sure how possible outings are at places like Whiskey Creek and Bulle Rock but I’m definitely open into looking into them, as well as anywhere else folks think is worthwhile (though I’m hoping to avoid places with lots of forced carries off the tee since folks will be playing with old clubs). I have a handful of leads from folks in the area and am hoping to reach out and have the date and course locked in by the end of next week.

1 Like

wonder if the dude from Stonewall may have any advice for us here?

1 Like

A few years back my dads group set up a 16 man group at whiskey and didn’t seem to have much issue. I know things are different with Covid but might be worth a shot if we’re planning it this far out

1 Like

y’all ready for the news?

7 Likes

Announcement 1: The Tentative Date for The Event is September 26

This was a pretty decisive result in the poll, and as an added side-benefit means that the dates don’t conflict with the Aiken event for people trying to make both work.

Announcement 2 is coming at 1pm eastern.

12 Likes

Yassssssssssss I don’t have to miss the first day or bow season either

The Yet-To-Be-Named Fall Classicre in the DMV has been generously designated a qualifying event for the NIT, and I have been given carte blanche to figure out how the hell to figure out who qualifies (carte blanche is Cajun for letting someone else figure it out).

Now, seeing as the whole damn point of this event is to encourage people to play old clubs, I thought about restricting the NIT qualifier to folks playing old clubs. But that ain’t exactly fair for a whole bunch of reasons, least of which being that those “old clubs” might have a fifty year age gap between each other. So I thought about designing a game where we take the age of the clubs into account, but then I figured that in the spirit of carte blanche I should let someone else do the work.

Get your thrift store on the line and your sewing machines ready

The NIT Spot Will Be Awarded via Costume Contest

That’s right. Whoever’s clothing best embodies the theme of the event, as decided by your peers, shall be crowned the Champion Sartorial Golfer of the Year, and awarded one (1) spot to play in the Nest Invitational Tournament.

But what is the theme of the event? Like I said in the original post, Classic Clubs! Golf before 1990 is on the board, but I encourage you to think earlier if you want to walk away with the prize.

Brief Notes:

• Choice of Clubs/Equipment will not be considered in this evaluation—feel free to play whatever you want without fear of reprisal

• Creativity is highly encouraged!! It’s way more fun to flex your creative muscles than it is to google “classic golf outfit” and open your wallet for the first full-made costume result.

• Make sure you don’t build an outfit that’s too “timeless” or retro trendy, lest your peers dock you points for an utter lack of anachronism.

• Professional headshots (portrait mode) will be available in the golden hour for all who want them.

19 Likes

Also, I highly encourage people to post their favorite classic golf fits for proper inspiration

red nike mock count as classic?

this photo must be replicated:

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 1.28.52 PM

3 Likes