DFW Match Play Tournament - Championship Match on 10/2

Or does anyone want a potential spectator/playing scorer?

@mctrees02 and I are still working through some scheduling conflicts on my end so we don’t have anything booked yet. Might have to do an early Monday morning round one of these weeks.

Updated bracket after Round 1

3 Likes

Now that I’ve finally licked my wounds a bit from a tragic defeat, I will do my best to describe what unraveled between @angray1997 and me last Saturday.

Hole 1-4
We started our match with some truly classy golf. We halved the first hole with bogeys, only for Angray to win the next three with a triple, a bogey, and a hole I conceded although he had only hit one shot. I would have to imagine most people would’ve asked if I had ever played golf before. Things were looking like Angray would defeat me like Tiger did to Stephen Ames all those years ago, which I’m not sure if Angray was even alive to see.

Hole 5-6
A true tale of two cities. After going 9 over through four, I naturally hit a knockdown 8 iron to 10 feet and buried the putt for birdie on 5 to grab a hole back. 6, a par 5, I routinely hit driver in the fairway, layup, wedge to 15 feet. Angray went driver, a rahm-esque layup that caught a tree to save him from OB, punch shot to 20 feet. From there, we both proceeded to three putt. His 6 net 5 sent him back to 3 up. Things were looking bleak for me. Until…

Hole 7-10
The turning point of the match. I found a little rythm and began hitting greens and fairways. I won 7 and 8 with pars on some windy par threes, made a clutch up and down for bogey on 9 to halve the hole, then hit the green on ten which was good enough for me to have three putts to win the hole as Angray struggled with some shots into hazards. Just like that, the match was all square.

Hole 11
Angray hugged the left side off the tee, punched to just off the green, chipped up to 3 inches, buried the putt for par (I wasn’t going to give it to him with the momentum.) I hit the fairway, then pw to ten feet. I obviously never gave the birdie putt a chance to make par on top of him. Moving on.

Hole 12
A shortish par three sparked fireworks. Angray hit his shot to about 15 feet. I missed the green and hit my chip to about 6 feet… but it didn’t matter. Angray played football in college, and as we’ve seen from Edelman in the NLU cup, athletes rise to the occasion. He buried his birdie to go back to one up.

Hole 13-14
13, a short par 4, we both hit our drives center cut, pitch shot distances, we both hit the green, we both two-putted. 14 we rekindled our former early-round selves, sprayed our shots on the par 3 to impossible spots, and I made a clutch up and down for double to win the hole. Match back to AS.

Hole 15
Angray had a stroke on this hole and proceeded to hit his drive to near Bryson lengths in the center of the fairway. I missed the green with my second just off the right and he hit a wedge to 8 feet. Obviously he won the hole… UNTIL HE DIDN’T! I dunked a chip for bird and he barely missed his putt. Still all square.

Hole 16
I placed a three wood in the fairway and Angray missed right, but kicked off a tree to stay in play. From a nasty lie, he hit his ball into a monster ravine that protects this par 5. This was a pro move, as the drop zone is on the other side, around 100 yards out in the fairway. From there, he wedged on. I hit my second down the left, then proceeded to go chunk wedge, thin wedge. As he had a stroke on this hole, I conceded his net par and we moved on with Angray 1 up with two to play.

Hole 17
A par three with a left pin protected by an overgrown tree, I hit my ball on the right side of the green. Angray hit his just over the back on a shortly mown hill. Both of us hit great putts to gimme range. Mr. Angray is one up with one to play.

Hole 18
Angray hits a power hook that gets a nice kick to the left intermediate cut. I hit a big drive down the center. He hits a very nice wedge to about 8 feet above the hole. I hit a wedge to 7 feet. His birdie just slides by, which left me a window… and I jumped through it. Holed the birdie to send this bad boy to extra holes.

Hole 19
Almost before my ball went in, I shouted “Now what the hell do we do from here??” As Stevens is one of the busiest courses in the 'Plex, I was highly doubtful we could snag a full hole, plus in a previous attempt on this course to have a playoff I had to pay two greens fees. Luckily we had created a sizeable gap betweeen us from the group behind, so we ran down to about 45 out on 18 and played the hole from there.

I got up and hit my wedge to 4 or so feet, Angray hit his short and caught just enough grass for it not to roll back to his feet. His next chip was a beaut. 3 feet. I had 4 feet to win it all… and found my inner 2019 Jordan Spieth mental game. Never touched the hole. In absolute shame, I told Angray to pick up and take it to the twentieth hole.

Hole 20
With no course left to play on, we let @Toblerone47 and @BurnerBubble pick out an imaginary hole on the secret short game facility at Stevens. A 52 yard shot to a green sloping away. I let Angray hit first, and he proceeded to hit his best pitch shot of the day, almost holing it as it trickled out to about 7 feet. Did I mention he played football in college? Clutch gene. I got up and hit my achilles heel: a pitch shot that somehow feels okay, but immediately after impact I know will be 60 feet short. I hit the long putt 12 feet by, then made a decent role to try to salvage something that crept off just right. I took my hat off and conceded the match to Angray.

When all was said and done. It was a hell of a time. Couldn’t have asked for much better weather to play some match play in November. I hope we can do it again. Maybe next time…

5 Likes

@FadeToTrap was curious about a regular meet up of DFW folks so I’m putting him in here for y’all to connect with.

4 Likes

@FadeToTrap

Check in here from time to time, this is where most casual meet-ups and the beginning of any new competitions we set up start.

1 Like

Awesome! Thank you

2 Likes

@angray1997 and I have our Round 2 match scheduled for this Saturday at Golf Club of Dallas. We’re booked for 8:30 if any of y’all want to head to their site and grab the other two spots.

1 Like

@Kgilles5 and I are playing our second round at Irving Golf Club this Saturday

1 Like

I will be there.

Maybe not “fully” but I will be there.

@mctrees02 and I will be celebrating our veterans while playing our match at Stevens Park next Wednesday morning. In my excitement at getting an early morning SP tee time, I booked the entire foursome so we’ve got the other two spots open if there’s any takers or if the final round 2 match wants to join us.

Tee time is 7:40am

2 Likes

Happy to report there will be a lefty represented in the finals.

4 Likes

Nice! Right side of the bracket is very heavy lefty and call me McDonalds cuz I’m loving it.

1 Like

How’d the match with @angray1997 work out this weekend?

I’ve been putting off posting the summary. I’ll make it short and sweet:

@angray1997 bludgeoned me 5&4. There wasn’t a birdie on the scorecard between us. GCoD might be able to save on their landscaping budget after the two of us spent so much time pelting trees with golf balls.

3 Likes

Would like to commend @bigslice on being a true class act. Neither one of us had our A, B, or C games. Most importantly there is about to be a Mrs. BigSlice after Masters Saturday. Then off to Jamaica for his honeymoon Sunday, and will miss the entire weekend Spieth returns to glory. Tough scheduling conflict.

4 Likes

Updated bracket:

@FWTexas @chaser have you guys been able to lock down a date for your match?

Watching y’alls match up close was a delight! @Kgilles5 absolutely murders the ball and wears Jordan’s while doing it. And @bigslice is a true competitor and quite convincing on trying to make flops from bunkers to win holes.

IGC lived up to the hype for sure. Thanks for letting me join! @SpiethGotMono

4 Likes

I feel this in my soul. I got married April 13th of 2019 in a national park in Utah. Cat won the Masters on April 14th…not a whole lot of internet and TVs out there

1 Like

I would like to say I had a blast but to be honest golf is never that much fun when you suck that badly. Still better than not playing my golf! Congrats to @Kgilles5 on moving on to the semis and good luck to whoever has to play him. Any time he needs to make a clutch shot he will do it.

Irving Golf Club is a great muni as well, no complaints from me on the course. Other than the finish walk on 18 straight up the hill after getting your teeth kicked in, but that’s a me problem not IGC problem.

Hopefully this Texas Rangers deal can work out at the end, would love to play there!

3 Likes