DFW Match Play Tournament - Championship Match on 10/2

@DadBod and I were just throwing spaghetti at the wall but mentioned how fun Rangers might be being centrally located. All other guys tee off first and championship match last. Fellas congregate after they finish up on 18 on the last few holes of champ match together. Walking gallery. Just an idea.

5 Likes

I think thatā€™s a great idea. If we get a crispy and windy winter day out there, that could be a blast.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never played there but heard really good things, so Iā€™m down for that. And they probably have a good space for larger groups too.

1 Like

Hopefully the clubhouse should be done by then. It looks super close now, but unsure of the inside. The course last time I was out there was in great shape! Really curious to see how it would play in the winter.

1 Like

Hate that I missed this: off work for next couple weeks and would love to play alongside a match.

2 Likes

South(ish) region - you guis still getting out tomorrow to complete the 1st round matches? Where are you playing?
@duckhunter07 @Toblerone47 @BurnerBubble @angray1997

Do we have any second round matches scheduled yet for ay of the others?

The showdown at Stevens Park is on at 945 AM tomorrow. Bringing the camera, so I hope the guys are ready. Listening to the shotgun start episode now to figure out my outfit.

5 Likes

Did you ever crack the code on early AM tee times at Stevens? Iā€™ve heard stories of how it works but thought I remembered you saying a while back that you were going to camp out on them one morning.

As a matter of fact I did. They have two phones going simultaneously starting at the exact time they open, and with the spread out tee times they said it takes about fifteen minutes for them to fill pretty much the entire AM sheet. Being in the clubhouse and hearing it I donā€™t think theyā€™re lying. But, there is one loophole: people who get lessons there can ask for availability a little early. I donā€™t think thatā€™s what causes the craziness (not a ton of people getting lessons), it fills just because people are insane about it these days, but thatā€™s one way to snag one.

1 Like

Pre-COVID, I would see regulars coming in before the phones opened for a leisurely breakfast and confirming next weekā€™s 8am tee time or whatever they had as their normal slot. Iā€™m guessing that has changed a bit this year so at least they are working it a bit different.

If only Tenison Glen would get rebuilt into a proper short course, then Dallas munis might have enough centrally located courses to spread everybody around.

1 Like

Heck, pre-redoing the greens I used to walk on every day of the week. The buzz about the redo coupled with covid golf has made every 20/30-something with a set of clubs eager to get out there.

Anyway, our group of 4 will be among said people tomorrow morning. May just dress up as Paul Allen.

1 Like

A fantastic day for golf at Stevens today. Will do my write up in the next couple days, but @angray1997 nabbed me in twenty holes and @Toblerone47 was a touch of class today in his match against @BurnerBubble. We all won in the end.

6 Likes

Low-key awesome picture

4 Likes

20 holes! Looking forward to the rundown

We had a great day at Stevens Park this morning, with perfect weather, excellent conditions, and some serious drama in our foursome.
However. No. This was not that match!
This match was a Halloween-themed Texas Driving Iron Massacre. @Toblerone47 put on a show and I scored a front row seat. Iā€™ll go through most of the holes, because there werenā€™t many of them.

Hole 1:
Right out of the gate we get a first tee appearance of the driving iron ā€“ piped down the middle (the theme for the day). Textbook approach and he sunk the putt for birdie. I realize that I made a mistake and should have tried to hole out my 2nd 3-iron punchout from deep inside the trenches of Omaha Beach (see the Crash (dis)Course on Stevens Park). On this hole, I also learn more about the WHOOP band that Iā€™ve placed in and removed from my cart about 12 times this year. If you havenā€™t heard, drinking is bad for your sleep. @Toblerone47 forgetting to put in the NOLAYINGUP code is a tough break and you hate to see it.
1-up Toblerone

Hole 2:
Driving iron piped on a great short par 4. I find out that I havenā€™t found my swing yet and hit a snap hook that was so off target that it ended just short of a waterway that I didnā€™t even know existed, despite having played this hole in the past at least 5 times. Long story short, I had a miraculous up and down where I never technically had a stroke on the green, and was gifted an early-morning yipped pitch and putt to get the match back to all-square.

Hole 3-4:
Unremarkable golf that led to another 1-up advantage for Toblerone

Hole 5:
Toblerone with a classy 2 putt from 8 feet to edge my disgraceful 3 putt from 12 feet. 2-up Toblerone.

Hole 6:
Wildest hole of the day. Toblerone lets the big dog eat and gets punished with a low hook nestled behind some trees; I find myself right in the middle of the fairway. Next Toblerone punchout veers straight for a drainage ditch off the fairway and ends up in a horrible/unplayable position. After figuring out where to take the unplayable, we decide that whole area is actually marked as ground under repair and itā€™s a free drop instead. No sweat, Iā€™m still in great shape. Play my approach to 75 out and feeling really good about knocking it tight to get one back. Blade the 60 degree long. @angray1997 points me in the direction and seems to be indicating that the situation isnā€™t ideal. I stroll up to find my ball in a dense evergreen, and I canā€™t drop the ball no closer to the hole because its all road/OB back there. So I think: I should be able nestle in there and stab it out to give myself a chance for up and down, right? Had my first whiff in years. Had my second whiff in years. Hole conceded. This isnā€™t looking good folks. 3 down. And a pretty ominous sign of what was to come.

Hole 7:
Nothing to see here, good/good

Hole 8:
Overdrawn par 3 approach with a nasty kick straight into the hazard. First lost ball and 4 up Toblerone

Hole 9:
Dodged a few missiles from the surrounding tee boxes and we both stuck it tight. I took one back to get a little hope going into the turn. 3 down.

Hole 10:
2nd lost ball of the day, but the other details are foggy and apparently the hole was halved. Match still @ 3

Hole 11:
3rd lost ball of the day. You can actually look above to see an expertly captured photo by the immensely talented @duckhunter07 that shows me willing that yellow ProV1 (that can be seen blocked out over the left trees) a little further right to miss the road. Apparently, it didnā€™t work and Toblerone had another ho-hum par and 4 down and uh-oh.

Hole 12:
Toblerone sticks another one. 5 down. The sun is setting at 1 PM in Dallas today.

Hole 13:
After enjoying the best view in Dallas golf, Toblerone sticks another one. 6&5.

OVERTIME GOLF:
Pretty decent golf all-around for the remainder and we have an intensely friendly match unfolding on the other side of our group. A GPS cart became fully self-aware and tried to take the lives of our playing partners. Tough bogey on 18 for Toblerone to fall back to E on the back 9. We get treated to a 2-hole playoff that had as much excitement as can be had from shots of 40 yards or less (photos attached from Hole 20 teebox)

Great fun today, and good luck on the next round @Toblerone47 and @angray1997. Lets do it again sometime.

7 Likes

Couldnā€™t have summed it up any better. Enjoyed it!

Square Green Capital of the Golf World: Texas

6 Likes

@FWTexas disappearing chip capital as well.

2 Likes

Eloquently put, I enjoyed it out there Saturday! I was lucky to be on a course that took driver out of my hand for the most part.

1 Like

Excellent write up. Did yā€™all go to the short game area for extra holes?