Deadspin is, uh, dead. RIP - Also Hiring Practices

First, a brief synopsis if you’re not familiar: Yesterday, Deadspin upper management sent out a memo demanding that its writers stick to sports. Deadspin being Deadspin decided to not do that. This led to the firing of their longest tenured and most prolific blogger, Barry Petchesky, who is a very good writer with a very bad chest tattoo.

In last 24 hours nearly all of deadspin’s writers and editors have quit out of solidarity. I know that it’s a polarizing website, but the amount of quality investigative journalism (Manti Two’s fake girlfriend) and astonishingly stupid but funny content (Cereals, ranked, anything by Drew Magary) is of no equal.

Whatever is left of deadspin, it won’t be the same. Goodbye, old friend.

16 Likes

Amazing stones from all of them to resign in solidarity.

3 Likes

It’s interesting because it seems a lot of people here seem to know what deadspin is but I’ve literally never heard of it.

Sorry, I guess? I don’t like to see people out of work or businesses fail.

Wish I was more woke.

1 Like

Never been a fan and forgot it existed in the past 5 years or so, until now.

3 Likes

Deadspin was woke 10 years ago @Q-school. You missed an entire cycle of woke.

4 Likes

Probably 2 cycles. There’s only one Laz.

2 Likes

Barstool wins again.

8 Likes

If you didn’t read Deadspin in its heyday you missed some of the funniest, stupidest, thoughtful, wonderful sports and barely sports adjacent writing on the Internet.
All the snarky funny style of blogging and sports and pop culture writing steals from their style to this day. I would argue that NLU and their takes on the PGA Tour are rooted in that style whether they care to admit it or not. Anyone who disagrees with me is obviously wrong.

21 Likes

One more thing to add to the synopsis. The new management also put audio-on autoplay ads in the middle of every story a week ago. All of the Deadspin family of sites posted stories basically saying “we don’t like the videos either.” They included an email address for the upper management in charge of those ads for people to complain to. Within a day, all those posts got deleted, and the email address was deactivated.

For Reference:

https://deadspin.com/preview/a-note-to-our-readers-1839401652

3 Likes

I miss Craggs

1 Like

And also managed to do some pretty damn good journalism. The Manti Teo and NBA memes/Sarah Phillips stories stick out in particular.

3 Likes

Did Deadspin and Fire Joe Morgan start around the same time? Those seemed to be the beginning of the snarky sports corner of the internet.

1 Like

Yes exact same time. 2005.
Kissing Suzy Kolber shortly after in 2006

3 Likes

They also once wrote a story alleging Ben Rothlisberger has a gray ding dong. They killed Rothlisberger over the years.

I will also add that Drew Magary is one of the funniest and most honest writers I’ve had the pleasure of reading. I highly recommend his annual Hater’s Guide to Williams Sonoma. Drew nearly died during the holidays last year and his article about the event is one of my favorites.

7 Likes

Brett Farve and the saga of his texts of Lil’ Brett to Jenn Sterger was another good one.

3 Likes

Magary wrote some epic columns. Dick Joke Jamboroo, his annual “Why your team sucks” NFL previews were fantastic.

He went through a lot of shit too, had some serious health issues a few years back.

2 Likes

Albert Burneko’s Foodspin recipes made me a better cook. They were so perfectly written in a way that made them fun and easy to execute.

3 Likes

These were must reads when he first started doing them. So many good ones.

1 Like

You can like Deadspin or not like Deadspin (I did for a long time until I didn’t) but there aren’t many companies on the planet that allow you to give the bird to management, in public, repeatedly, and to a really large audience, without getting fired.

3 Likes