Courses you want to knock out in 2020

To continue a Refuge tradition, I figured we should fire this up for those starting to plan 2020 golf trips. Moderate to good success hitting some of my 2019 hopefuls; so, as of now, here is a semi-realistic list of places I hope to play in 2020:

The Old Course
Carnoustie
Kingsbarns
Inverness
Brookside CC (Canton, OH)
Springfield CC
The Golf Club
Goat Hill Park
Rustic Canyon
Valhalla GC
Course at Sewanee
Any additional MacRaynor

Anyone else have a list going? Happy early Thanksgiving to everyone!!

8 Likes

Hell yeah, thanks for getting this one going

have to add making this list to my already lengthy year end to do list.

I can make a Raynor happen for you when you come to do Sewanee!

Honors Course
Chattanooga CC
Pine Needles
Pinehurst no. 2
Holston Hills
Rackham GC
Roseland Golf and Curling Club
Belvedere GC

2 Likes

There’s only one course on my 2020 list… Sand Hills.

I wrote a letter last year asking to get on, but was too late. The assistant pro got back to me and told me to send another letter again next year earlier in the spring. Maybe second try is the charm?

1 Like

Would love a Chattanooga weekend sometime in 2020, sounds great.

Almost added these to the list as well!

1 Like

I’m sure it has been discussed here before and I missed it, but is that all you have to do? Simply pen a friendly letter to them to get on for a day?

Sweetens

2 Likes

Rackham will be an awesome day but course-wise, not sure I’m more excited about any course next year than Roseland. Maybe Holston.

Come on down whenever!

1 Like

Based on current plans, here’s what I’ve got.

Memorial Park GC
Dooks
Waterville
Columbia C.C.
Rackham GC
Roseland Golf and Curling
Pinehurst #2
Pinehurst #4
Tobacco Road
Mountain Shadows
We-ko-pa Saguaro
Papago
Ak Chin Southern Dunes
(maybe Talking Stick North, too, but not sure)

There’s another potential trip in the works, but we haven’t nailed down a location yet so I’ll probably update this at some point.

3 Likes

Ooh ditto on Memorial. You don’t live in Houston, just from there right?

Yeah, but I’ll be back a few times for sure. Hopefully I’ll be able to play it every time haha.

As I understand it, Dick Youngscap (founder) believes everyone should be able to play Sand Hills once in their life. So yes, you can write a letter and get on if everything works out. I’m sure there’s some luck involved. Have to have some flexibility on dates. Have to have a sincere reason for wanting to play (i.e., don’t say “I’m just trying to cross off the Top 100 list”). Etc. I live in Omaha and have a reasonably flexible job that I could drop whatever if the opportunity presented itself.

2 Likes

But also in 2019! See you in two weeks!

2 Likes

No doubt, keep me in the loop on that. I’m definitely getting out there this year.

1 Like

Chechessee Creek
Secession
Cassique
Rivermont
Old Natchez

Memorial park renovations are awesome. played it last week and have a tee time for this Saturday too. you will love it.

4 Likes

Prairie Dunes.

5 Likes

Some holdovers from a pretty ambitious 2019 list and some new additions for planned 2020 trips and hopeful 2020 courses:

Aiken Golf Club
Pinehurst (2 and 4)
Mid-Pines
Pine Needles
Southern Pines
Tobacco Road
Dormie Club
Southern Hills
Memorial Park (live 10 minutes away so this one should be easy!)
Rustic Canyon
Pasatiempo
Bethpage Black
Shoreacres
Trinity Forest
Colonial
Sweeten’s Cove

3 Likes

Lot of Houston golfers in this thread. We should definitely try and meet up for a round at Memorial one of the times I visit the family this year.

1 Like