Courses you want to knock out in 2019

Boston-based as well, so some of this will overlap from other posters. I’m pretty sure I have an invite to play Old Sandwich, just have to match up the dates with the hosting member, so that’s priority #1 for 2019. Privates I’d love to play again: Essex, Boston Golf Club, Eastward Ho, Myopia Hunt. I’d also love to get to Whitinsville this year.

Outside of this area: I want to get back to the SC Lowcountry and play Chechessee Creek, then hop over to Savannah and play Savannah Golf Club (have a good buddy that’s a member). That’s everything that is realistic this year.

My wife may be headed on a work trip to Melbourne, Australia in July, and it would be amazing to go on that trip and play courses there while she works. But with a 5 year old at home, that’s probably not going to happen.

As a Floridian, my FL list is:

Jax Beach
Streamsong Red and Blue (I played Black a couple weeks ago)
World Woods

Btw, if anyone has some recommendations in either the Detroit area or the Erie, PA/Cleveland area, I greatly appreciate them. Oh, also any in the Augusta area except Champions Retreat. It will be closed for the ANWA while I’m there.

This will probably be a bit of a niche reply as it’s mostly NZ courses but in no particular order, links provided because you’re all golf course nerds and I’m sure you’d like to see more of some courses down here…

OLD FAITHFULS:

1. Titirangi (Mckenzie design)
  2. Waitangi (home club)
  3. Muriwai (favourite links)
  4. Akarana (favourite Akl parkland)
  5. Waitakere (favourite goat track, close to home and allows dogs)

NEW COURSES LIKELY TO PLAY:

1. Carrington
  2. Windross Farm
  3. Wairakei
  4. Kinloch

HAIL MARY:

1. Jacks Point, played nine holes earlier this year MUST get back
  2. Tara Iti, you never know…
  3. Bandon Dunes, I might be travelling back to Montana for work again this year so it’d be rude to not road trip my way back to SF and pop into Bandon for a few holes

And then there’s the myriad of NZ courses around the place, you can’t drive more than half an hour without seeing some sort of golf course and they all have their character holes worth checking out.

One that really excites me is a course I stumbled across a couple of days ago up north where I grew up. A guy bought a big chunk of land to build his house and subdivide into sections and then thought fuck it, I’d prefer to have a golf course. He’s built (80% done at least) an 18 hole par three course (with one par four) and club house. No real greens to speak of, just super closely mowed fairway but it looks like heaps of fun, the perfect quickfire 18 holes with a few beers and zero % chance of seriousness. Can’t wait to get back up there.
I was just driving past and saw a pin in the field so obviously I had to stop and trespass to find out what the hell is going on.

Sounds like the guys at BCN/SGB have a potential source of inspiration on the other side of the world! @BCNSuper @sundaybag

I had to do some digging to see what your were talking about, hell yeah! More like this PLZKTHX.

You hit two on my realistic list.

Lancaster CC
Ole Stonewall

I live in Red Lion, PA so Lancaster CC is only about 40 minutes or so from me. A coworker of mine happens to have a family member who is a member there. So I’m absolutely being the “hey can you get me on” guy. Worth a shot.

I grew up in Western, PA and Stonewall is somewhere I’ve been wanting to play for a few years now.

HAIL MARRY/HOLY GRAIL: Oakmont CC
It’ll never happen, but growing up about 30 minutes from Oakmont and driving under the bridges is killer.

Erie, PA
Whispering Woods is an absolute gem if you’re going to be in the Erie area.

Lucky to have a couple of connections at those places. Trying to work some magic to get on Philly Cricket. Also have a connection at oakmont but wife won’t let me drive across the state on vacation to play there most likely!

I left of cuscowilla from my original list. Have no connections there but very intrigued by Ohopee Match Club. Would like to see it some day!

Currently have TPC Boston and Belmont Country Club lined up for next year through clients. TPC might not be everyone’s cup of tee, but being from around here it would be awesome to check of the list. Would also love to find a way out on to Shelter Harbor in RI.

Not sure where work travel is going to bring me this year, but I am relatively sure I will be in the UK at some point and hopefully California for some new car training.

There’s a definite links theme going on here for me.

1. The Old Course
  2. North Berwick
  3. West Lancs
  4. Hillside
  5. Southport and Ainsdale.

The top two are pencilled in for March and the next 3 will probably be an October visit.

I’ve got a few tasty trips booked for 2019 already

March - Pebble/Spyglass/Links at Spanish Bay
April - Sweetens Cove
June - Chambers Bay and the four courses at Bandon Dunes

Going to try to work in Cabot for July/Aug, but that might be a stretch…

Cal Club and SF Club- I seriously drove past both of those courses everyday on the way to school as a kid and didn’t realize what I was racing by.

Northwood and Pasatiempo are also on the radar. @ThePowerFade if you find yourself out here drop me a line.

I have Bandon already booked, so I got that going for me…which is nice.

Michigan resident here. Haven’t played too many places outside of the state but have some great plans for 2019.

I’ve already got a round booked at the Kapalua Plantation course in late January, then a Bandon trip (all courses) in March with some good buddies.

I got a gift certificate to Arcadia Bluffs for my birthday, I’ve already played the Bluffs so I’m definitely looking to use that for the new South course. Also planning on hitting up one routing of The Loop at Forest Dunes.

I’m trying to get as many bucket list type rounds in this year as the possibility of having kids is getting closer and closer.

Minnesota guy here.

• We Ko Pa Saguaro (C&C)
  • Talking Stick North (C&C)
  • Wickenburg Ranch (Big course and short course)
  • Interlachen CC (long shot but why not)
  • Golden Valley CC (Tillinghast in MN)
  • Woodhill (OG Ross in MN, also a long shot)
  • Spring Hill (moon shot)
  • Braemar Golf Course (new course in MN, looks awesome)
  • Sand Valley
  • Mammoth Dunes
  • The Sandbox

The last 3 are surprisingly difficult. It appears most of my golf buddies are not fond of the walking only model. It sometimes sucks being the only “woke” golfer among them.

Wick Ranch is a really fun day. The course is engaging if not always great, but the greens are wonderful. Often can make you look foolish.

I played there one day and one of the guys I was going to be paired with was telling his buddy on the putting green how the previous time he’d played the course he 3-putted almost every green. I thought he was either exaggerating or trying to get in his buddy’s head. Nope. This dude had the worst day on the greens I’ve ever seen from an otherwise seemingly competent player. I lost track ofhow many times he 3 jacked. He four-putted at least twice. On the par-5 14th he reached the green in two … then took 5 to get down. That’s a rough double.

But I don’t say that to scare you off. A huge part of why it gives a lot of AZ players fits is that we’re used to putting on bermuda greens. But Wickenburg is just high enough in elevation that they grow bentgrass so it’s just different than pretty much anything you’re used to seeing in Phoenix.

The Lil Wick par 3 course is a real fun time, though. Some cool shots to be had a good time if you hang around the bar with friends afterward.

2019 it will be Brora , Royal Dornoch and might take a drive up to Cullen . Already booked 4 in Ireland for September Waterville , Dooks , Dingle Links , Killarney Mahonys Point and maybe Portmarnock before we fly home from Dublin.

Defiantly this year is my annual games at Carnoustie and The Old Course the joys of staying no far from both

I can’t wait to play it. We have nothing but bent grass greens here and putting is one of my strengths so I think I’ll manage fine on the greens. Honestly I might be more excited for Lil Wick, it looks like a lot of fun to play with a cocktail and a few friendly wagers.

What did you think of The Bridge? Did you play the par-3 course as well?

I’m headed to Phoenix on the 12th with a buddy whose brother lives down there and bought the We-Ko-Pa local pass. He’s been sending pictures weekly of his rounds out there, which is definitely getting the excitement level up.

I’m struggling with getting anyone interested in a Sand Valley trip as well. Maybe we just need to plan a MN Refugee trip out there?

Seminole
Pennard
Royal Portcawl
Pine Valley
Chicago
Shoreacres
Crystal
Kingsley
Dornoch
Cullen
Fortrose and Rosemarkie
Cruden Bay