Courses you want to knock out in 2019

I’m probably going to get roasted for starting this thread so early, but with winter setting in where I live, I can’t help it. So here goes:

REALISTIC

1. New South Wales GC (Sydney, Australia)
  2. Keswick Golf Club (Charlottesville, VA)
  3. Pete Dye River Course (Blacksburg, VA)
  4. The Course at Yale (New Haven, CT)
  5. Bethpage Black (Farmingdale, NY)

JUST OUT-OF-REACH

1. Congressional Country Club (Bethesda, MD)

I’m cheating by adding NSWGC because I’m actually playing there in two weeks with @ScottW. The rest are in reach (conveniently planning an anniversary trip to Keswick, brother is a PhD candidate at Yale, and I think I can work contacts to get out on Congressional).

What are your realistic and just out-of-reach tracks for 2019?

1 Like

Planned a trip to Florida in February with my buddies. We are doing a Ryder Cup event at Isleworth, Bay Hill, and Old Memorial in Tampa. Pretty pumped for those courses!
We decided to skip out on Streamsong, which was where I was really hoping to go. Maybe 2020!

2 Likes

Had a list like this for 2018 and made it to exactly… NONE of them! No excuses. 2019 is the year to knock out courses. My list is too long to do vertically, so:

Public: Hooper, Hotchkiss, Highland Links (Cape Cod), Marion, Wachusett, Ould Newbury, Crosswinds, Highfields, Keney Park, Triggs, Shining Rock

Private (somehow): Nehoiden, Whitinsville, Eastward Ho, Essex, Brae Burn, Charles River, Ekwanok

If you couldn’t guess, I’m setting my sights close to home near Boston. Though also trying to plan a return trip to Cabot for either June or Sep - and will hit Highlands Links up on the Cabot Trail too

3 Likes

Dad’s 60th is next year, going to surprise him with either a trip to Nebraska or Wisconsin. I have itineraries for both planned out, I just need to figure out what’s more doable.

Highland Links will make your soul smile. Grew up playing golf there every summer and am dying to go back (the lighthouse is calling me). It is one of the most special places on the planet.

3 Likes

That is my # 1 with a bullet. I absolutely need to get out there. Also just edited my thing cuz I realized I wanted to play there and also the similarly named course atop Cape Breton

Crosswinds is a great/challenging track. Feel like it is a little underrated and forgotten being so close to Pine Hills and Waverly Oaks.

1 Like

my list is strong…we’ll see what happens

1. Cal Club
  2. Pasatiempo
  3. Old Collier
  4. Bandon
  5. Sand Valley
  6. Streamsong
  7. MN Valley - Raynor (local)

return to:

1. Sand Hills
  2. Sweetens
  3. Midland Hills - Raynor (local)
  4. Somerset - Raynor (local)
  5. Northland - Ross
4 Likes

I already booked flights and a few rounds in Scotland. There’s a lot more golf to book in the coming months, so I’ll have a bunch of bucket list courses ticked off in August of next year. Stateside, I’d like to get to Sweetens, and finally play Olympia Fields where a friend’s family are members. Other than that, I could maybe get up to Michigan and play The Loop/Forest Dunes or Arcadia Bluffs.

#1: BCN, “some guy’s backyard”

I knocked out a bunch in the last 2 years with Pebble, Fishers, Sweetens. What I can reasonably expect for 2019 given travel and proximity. I can get 7/10 of these for sure.

Sand Valley, WI
Arcadia Bluffs, MI
Lawsonia, WI
Misquamicut Club, RI
Keney Park, CT
Commonground, CO
Shennecosset, CT
Jax Beach Golf Club, FL
Yale, CT
Old White @ The Greenbriar, WV

And at least 2 more trips to Sweetens when in ATL.

6 Likes

Very thoughtful list.

So of the ones I have had actual contact with members, know another way on, or are public.

Northeast: The Country Club, Wannamoisett, Yale, Hudson National, Quaker Ridge. Congressional (Blue), Links at Lighthouse Sound, Caves Valley, Lake of Isles (North)

Midwest: Sand Hills, Canyata

Southeast: The Honors, Shoal Creek, Yeamans, CC of Charleston, Greenbrier, Linville, Innisbrook (Copperhead)

Northwest: Chambers Bay, Sahalee

1 Like

Seriously. I played there this September for the first time. First person out on a Sunday morning and had the course to myself for the entire first 9. That place is incredible

Well, in the thread for courses that we wanted to knock out in 2018, I named the following courses: Whispering Pines, Colonial, Dallas National, TPC San Antonio, GC of Houston, Austin Country Club, Bethpage Black, and the Old White at the Greenbrier. In hindsight, I didn’t realize at the beginning of the year Dallas National and Colonial wouldn’t actually be viable options, so I never should have listed those. But beyond that, the only two I got to were Golf Club of Houston and TPC San Antonio. A friend of mine works at Whispering Pines but our schedules just haven’t matched up, so unfortunately that one has really been squandered. Austin Country Club was simply much harder to get onto than I imagined.

Having said that, my 2019 list greatly depends on where I move to this winter. As of this moment, it looks like it’s either going to be Denver or Louisville. If it’s Denver, it’s an easy answer of Cherry Hills, Castle Pines, and Ballyneal as I’ve always wanted to play those tracks. If it’s Louisville, I don’t know what to answer with since I’ve played Valhalla before and there’s nowhere else in the area that really has my undivided attention.

My best friend from high school is getting married in Spain next summer so I will get to knock out a golf course outside of the US for the first time, so that’s exciting. Once I know where the wedding is I’ll start figuring out what courses are options. One thing’s for sure: I don’t want to play Valderamma because it’ll probably be the emotional equivalent of rape.

Strongly considering a day-trip to Chattanooga this holiday season and playing Sweetens, which thanks to this website, has become a very high priority.

SWEETENS. And probably Sewanee while I’m there. Also looking to continue my Tour De Strantz at Tobacco Road and Tot Hill

The Cardinal Club in Louisville is a sick track, private club, home of U of Louisville golf

Since I live in MN, the list is very focused there. Really, really excited for the SV courses.

Will play:

Sand Valley, Mammoth Dunes, Sandbox
Minnesota Valley CC
We Ko Pa - Saguaro
Braemar (opening in 2019)

Hope to play:

Interlachen
Windsong Farm
Woodhill CC
Minneapolis GC
Shadow Creek

1 Like

@tigergolftraveler If you are able to get on Sahalee, see if you can get on Aldarra, too!

1 Like

2019 Hopeful List:

Moraine CC
Brookside CC
Clovernook CC
Pinehurst #2
Pinehurst #4,
Mid Pines
Pine Needles
Tobacco Road
We Ko Pa Saguro
Talking Stick
Estancia
Streamsong Red
Streamsong Blue
Jax Beach Golf Club
Ponte Vedra Inn & Club
French Lick - Dye
French Lick - Ross
GC at Yale
Wampanoag CC
Hartford GC

A few stretches in there, but most are lined up or tentative depending upon travel schedules.

3 Likes

Not at Gil Hanse fan?