Course Recommendations? Paso Robles, SLO Region in CA

Going to be staying in Santa Margarita with a couple buddies in a couple weeks and we wanted to try to get a round of golf in, COVID safe of course. Can anyone who lives or plays in the region regularly recommended a course to play?

I found the previous recommendation of Morro Bay from a thread here. Any others worth checking out in the area?

We’re coming some the Bay Area and SoCal so just looking for a fun and unique course in the region. Open to all course styles and difficulties.

Not Golf but make sure to get smoked fish tacos at Ruddell’s Smokehouse in Cayucos. It is a delightful little place on the beach. For the golf I’d say drive an hour and a half down to Sandpiper

1 Like

I grew up in the area and come back to visit from time to time. Hunter Ranch was always an interesting track but cant speak to the condition of the course at this time. Travel to Nipomo and play Monarch dunes, course is always in decent condition runs right about 85$ a round and they have a small par 3 course you can play for a small additional cost. I can say avoid Avila beach course is a shell of its previous glory.

There is an Executive course in Los Osos across the bay from Morro and should be able to play both courses in a day.

I recommend the Otter rock cafe in Morro bay for any meal if they are even open.

1 Like

Courses I’ve played in the general area:

Hunter Ranch, Paso Robles- my favorite that I saw in the area.

Diary Creek, SLO- pretty wide open and interesting, not much to brag about but worth seeing

Cypress Ridge, Arroyo Grande- nice course, very well-conditioned

Morro Bay GC- nice views, didn’t look like a great course but I just drove through, didn’t play it. I’d like to go back.

I wish I could tell you more about architecture but I wasn’t paying that much attention 15 years ago.

1 Like

Monarch Dunes looks good. I haven’t had a chance to play the big course but the Challenge course there is a super fun 12-hole par 3 course that is WILD fun. Lots of different tees, huge greens with two different hole locations, one normal, one a big cup. Wind usually gets going in the PM. I adored that place.

Little further down the road, La Purisima is a fun round.

Hunter Ranch is probably the best bet right in SLO.

You can also check out Morro Bay. Wild hillside course, not too much of a drive with good views of the bay/ocean and Morro Rock.

2 Likes

Went to high school in SLO. Haven’t been back in a few years but my favorite courses were Hunter Ranch, Monarch Dunes, and Avila Beach. Dairy Creek was a fun track back in the day, but I think it’s only 9 now so it may have fallen on hard times. No trip to SLO is complete without a tri tip sandwich at Firestone Grill.

2 Likes

I haven’t played any of the golf courses up there yet. The Whale Rock Disc Golf course is also a good group activity in the Paso area. The course travels through a vineyard and there’s a tasting flight included in the $5 greens fee.

1 Like

Right on for all the feedback Refuge Crew! Will let you know how it goes. It’s been a while since I’ve been down there but mannnnnn do I miss Firestones. It’s on the stop list for sure.