Just looking for some refugees to offer advice or even anecdotal tales from their college days.
So let me set the scene: I have belonged to a private club all my life but love to get around and play all the munis in my area (In between NYC and Philly so some great options) and am going to be playing lacrosse in college, but at the D3 level so there should be some down time in the offseason and maybe some even during the spring. I am hoping to go private simply for the ability to practice for free and play as many holes as I can fit in a night or afternoon before sunset. There are four schools that I am being recruited to/seriously looking at and two of them have their own golf courses (one of them where Jack Nicklaus had a hole in one in the US AM) so problem solved there, and the other two are in the Philly/ Main Line area and do not have their own course. HOWEVAH, there are obviously some downright outstanding golf courses in the Philly area and perhaps I could thinking about joining for some sort Junior/Student fee and with the proximity to my house (about 45-60 minutes) I could also play in the summer there, my initial thoughts are places like Stonewall but again I am not sure so maybe some Philly guys could help me out. Now that is a long winded back story, but my main questions are below:
- Do you think this makes financial sense to do/is affordable?
- Any club suggestions?
- Has anyone done something similar to this when they were or still are in college?
- Is there any way I could convince my parents of this?
- Am I overestimating the amount of time I will have?
- Do you think I could use my charm at an old school club to swing this type of membership or am I an absolute rube?
P.S.: I am completely okay with brutal honesty-- in fact I encourage it.
Thanks for your help!