Cocktail

Figured I’d make a thread for the best Tom Cruise movie so we can keep the discussion to this thread it.

But not really. I’ve been finding my kitchen is always a mess around this time of day and I need to clean it for dinner. A cocktail or two has been helping so I figured I’d make a topic if there are others out there that like to make drinks and learn something. I’ve been expanding my reportoire and from memory I can make:
Manhattan
Old Fashioned
Negroni
Boulevardier
Daiquiri
Whiskey Sour
Rum Sour
Sazerac

Probably forgetting some but that’s enough to usually keep me occupied most nights. Lastly, the best cocktail is a good bourbon neat, and let’s keep vodka away from this thread and discuss real spirits.

You guys have a go to cocktail or something you break out for family parties?

2 Likes

You might want to check out the “Beers and Booze - Whatcha Drinking?” thread, although that’s just a more generic alcohol discussion thread. If you’re looking for inspiration or other aficionados, that could be a good place to start.

Not sure if you’ve seen it before, so I’ll link it below:

7 Likes

:heart: @nandersen

2 Likes

I’m very active on that thread. Was just thinking a place for more specific talk, but if there’s no interest in that then no problem.

3 Likes

Mint Julep is the most work I put in a glass

1 Like

i am a sucker for a tequila mule

2 Likes

I’ve been reading this book lately.

https://www.amazon.com/Death-Co-Modern-Classic-Cocktails/dp/1607745259

Is Death&Co apt to go overboard and spin off into craft cocktail hipsterness? Listen, fer sure. But they do know their booze.

My current obsession. Punch. If you come to a party at our house there will be all sort of boozes and beers and wines. But above all else, there will be a Punch.

5 Likes

My wife makes a mean mint julep large batch for summer parties. We have also done a basil julep with Jameson.

My go-to is a Manhattan.
Buillet Rye, splash of vermouth, chocolate bitters; luxardo cherries

2 Likes

Another interesting book I’ve got close by is

Basically, a lot of stories on what do bartenders do and drink when they’re done bartending for the night. Not so much a recipe book, but a look behind the curtain.

I like a good bar or cocktail story. Sometimes more than the cocktail itself.

3 Likes

r/cocktails is actually a pretty good subreddit, I can usually get inspiration off there

1 Like

I’ll have to check that out. I am really enjoying Cocktail Codex from the guys from Death and Co. Great stuff and a good mix of modern and classis. My brother got The Aviary Cocktail book and while I LOVE The Aviary, the book isn’t as usable.

1 Like

You do milk washed punch?

1 Like

No. I’ve never done that process.

i’m so interested in this but have never committed to it

1 Like

Used to make it when I bartended - never as good as the milk punch I had at Drink and Dead Rabbit though.

1 Like

I haven’t committed to it either yet. This week’s the week!

My favorite cocktail books:

Sother Teague is the bartender at Amor y amargo in NYC, my absolute favorite bar in the city.

Great technique book - covers everything from ice through simples, syrups, shrubs, shaking, stirring… a lot of S’s evidently.

Imbibe and Punch by David Wondrich are both really great “history of” books - you’re not going to learn a ton about making drinks but they’re interesting reads.

Also, Imbibe magazine is a great subscription for anything drink related. I find something in each issue worth trying or buying.

2 Likes

Ugh. Went on a fucking spree back in February and Amor y Amargo was on the list but after Dante and The Nomad for dinner with a million other stops inbetween, I didn’t make it. Top of the list for sure next time.

1 Like

All I know is I am a SUCKER for a $17 cocktail that has egg white in it.

5 Likes

giphy

1 Like