ClubCorp discussion

A very very very good friend of mine is an executive at ClubCorp and he knows my disdain for ClubCorp’s lack of giving a sh*t about their golf course properties. He’s openly admitted to me that they are more focused on their amenities and dining clubs vs. their golf course properties which is sad.

4 Likes

Visited Brookfield when my daughter played a high school golf tournament there. Delightful place.

2 Likes

1000% accurate.

When you’re touring Firestone as your signature club, it’s going to be a hard sell…

That isn’t a club corp wide thing…Brookfield provides push carts for free or allows you to bring your own without a charge…but I agree…push carts should be encouraged and it annoys me when some clubs try and charge you to use your own.

3 Likes

Just looked into joining a Club Corp property as well. Was told I could conditionally only play 4 rounds a month as a member until a final review. They would not disclose the timeline in which the final review would happen.

Club Corp is everywhere here in North Texas. I grew up on one and live close enough where it makes sense to join as a junior member, but I continue to pass in favor of playing the areas many good public options.

These are the pros and cons i’ve thought about when debating joining.

Pros:

• 36 Holes: Really nice as you can typically make a tee time same day an hour or two in advance.
  • MGA: I like to play psuedo competitively and it would be nice to have standing games/other tournaments to play outside of USGA/TGA events. Costs additional money but so does everything else.
  • Initiation Fee: $0 initiation fee right now for anyone at this particular club.
  • Dues: $250/month is incredibly reasonable.
  • Membership: A pretty diverse set of members, young families and old timers alike.

Cons:

• Membership size: I think this club has on the order of 1200 members. It can be slow to play sometimes.
  • Quality: I personally don’t think either course is all that special, and more importantly to me, the practice facility leaves a lot to be desired.
  • Carts: $18/round to ride on top of your dues. You can have your own cart but I don’t live close enough for it to make sense and the trail fee is $100/month.
  • Other: My brother, dad, and a few other friends all play local tracks around the Metroplex so I think I’d still end up playing quite a bit away from the club with them.
  • ONE Membership: It has some perks like playing other ONE clubs for a cart fee or a reduced guest fee, which is nice around North Texas, but I don’t think it’s worth the extra cost and you have to eat a lot to make it worth it.

All in all for me it doesn’t make sense. I want a really nice course with a great practice facility and a solid money game, not a resort style pool and Chilis quality food.

3 Likes

Can’t knock that reasoning. What Public courses do you like to play?

I was looking at joining a CC club in my area but ended up doing the math which showed me it wasn’t worth it. The cost wasn’t bad until I found out I had to pay for carts/trail fees too. Pretty much doubled the cost of joining and for that much, I could just play anywhere I want, anytime I want.

The sister courses make it more worthwhile but I couldn’t pull the trigger. Kinda glad I didn’t because my ex boss is a member there and let’s just leave it that I don’t like him, and he doesn’t like me. He can have the shitty Gary Players course.

1 Like