Club Fitting

I’ve been debating upgrading my irons for some time now (been rocking some Hogan Apex Plus’s for about 20 years now) and just wanted to get people’s thoughts on the options.

I don’t think I play enough to justify the ~$1,500 investment in a new top of the line set, so I’m focusing on finding some 2016 or 2017 models. Do golf retailers still sell older models new, or would i have to get a used set? I’m a bit on the taller side, so I’d like to get them fitted properly, is there a real advantage of getting fitted first and custom ordering a set (if still possible with older models), or can I just get a used set and then have them lengthened/altered to fit me? I’ve heard just getting clubs altered after the fact can impact the integrity, but not sure I buy that.

Thanks in advance.

Okay, you have an off-the-rack set of irons for 20 years and you cannot justify $1,500?? That’s $75/year. Your cell phone costs that a month.

Listen, I understand that it seems like a lot of money because it is. However, save up for a few months and go get fitted. Don’t worry about prices/brands. Find something that looks good to your eye and that produces great numbers on TrackMan. Because if you try to stay in a budget and pay $600 for a set that you are just okay with, then you might as well play what you have.

8 Likes
  1. Pay $100 for an iron fitting
  2. Buy irons 1-3 years old off GolfWRX classifieds for $500
  3. Swap shafts and get the lie angle adjusted for ~$300

About half price.

10 Likes

I’m a big fan of club champion if there’s one in your area. Trying every head and shaft all at one stop is tough to beat. Ponying up for the $300 full bag fitting is worth it. You can buy the clubs piecemeal from them or scour eBay and WRX classifieds.

3 Likes

Free fitting for you right here. Please provide::
Height:
Wingspan
Carry w/ 8 iron
Carry w/ driver and general shape of drives

2 Likes

cough Mr.WRX cough

9 Likes

I’m just saying…there could be three sets of irons produced that would fit 97% of golfers.

(And I laughed so hard at mr wrx water came out of my nose.)

2 Likes

What would those irons be?Not being a smartass i just love clubs and am wondering what ur thoughts are

I was in the business for almost a decade. We “fit” several members and it was astonishing how many people would spend an hour and walk away with a stock set of callaway irons. Regular length, loft and lie.
The three sets: 1.) A game improvement with a lof of offset, forgiveness and weight near the sole. 2.) Mid-range club with a sleeker topline, less offset but still considerable forgiveness. 3.) A faux blade with the least ofset, slim topline looks and a little forgiveness. Ping black dot specs and you’ve got the vast majority of the free world covered right there.
(STANDING CORRECTED)
You need 2 women’s sets: One for the ballers and the other for wives that get forced into the game.

8 Likes

I went to club champion and felt like they were too aggressively trying to get me into +$1k plus irons even though I said I didn’t want that. Started fitting me in the APs, Steelheads, etc. Oddly enough I ended up hitting the Cobra F8s the best which I never would have expected going in. Got the build sheet and found that on the Cobra site I could build them with the exact specs, shaft, grips directly and save about $400.

Club champion is the place for a low handicapper very steep in the process of flex, detailed lofts, etc. I’d go to PGA superstore and you’d likely have a similar opportunity to hit pretty much every club in your price range and not get aggressively upsold.

1 Like

3 or 4 years ago I went to Cool Clubs to get fitted. I highly recommend getting fitted. Like @scuff suggests, go into the fitting not caring about brands. I went in wanting Titleist irons - and i couldn’t give you a solid reason why. But after going through that legit fitting, i sat back and realized - why would i buy Titleist if TaylorMade irons were the best fit for me? The fitting was great, got the full bag fitting - minus the putter. To me, I was amazed at just what getting the correct shaft in the club did for me. I went from have a major slice, to hitting so many more fairways and hitting my target - i’m sure some of it was my swing improved but i’m positive most of it was have the correct weapons in my hand.

Fittings aren’t cheap but Cool Clubs gave me a few options for setups. Good, Better, Best…which was pretty much meant, cheapest option, more expensive, most expensive.

I don’t think I can ever go buy a driver, fairway wood, irons, etc without getting fitted because most likely, it’s not going to be the right club for me.

Getting fitted for my first time on Saturday…Been swinging hand-me-down Callaway x18’s for the last 5 years from my buddy who is 6 inches tall than me - Can’t wait!

I’m going to Pete’s Golf on Long Island, and have heard phenomenal reviews.

If you get the right clubs, you might have to change your name to ParPubescent.

4 Likes

Hahaha touche

1 Like

Use the code BRYSON2018CPG at cobragolf.com and get 45% off your order… iron sets, drivers, clothes etc

Thank me later.

2 Likes

holy shit, i thought this was a joke. it is not. thank you.

3 Likes

No problem. I just got fitted for and bought brand new F8 iron set myself - saved like $500!

I got fitted at Second Swing ($150) and purchased my iron set directly through Cobra to use the discount code. Shipped within a week.

My friends agency represents Bryson - they did a similar promotion last year. The code should work for the rest of 2018.

I texted my friend the code. No response for several minutes. I then receive the text: “Shit! It works. This is bad.” LOL.

2 Likes

UPDATE: This code no longer works FYI.

I’m schedule for a full bag fitting at Totally Driven. $400 - 4 hours. Mostly, I’m buying to get a driver/3wood/hybrid and putter fitting, since I just bough brand new PXGs last year. I got fit for those, but frankly, want data on EACH iron, to know my ranges for yardages across the sheet. If I end up with a better putting setup, and a better driver/3wood/hybrid, will be totally worth it.

1 Like