Club Building/Repair

I know there are some other websites and forums out there that have a lot of detailed info on this topic, but they dont really suite me, and I figured I would see what the Refuge has to say. Anybody out there work on their own clubs?

I just purchased some new shafts off eBay and started looking at the process of replacing them myself rather than paying to have it done. From the videos I have watched it seems very simple, and the supplies I need are inexpensive. All I am looking to do is replace the my current shafts with the new ones and grip them which is the easy part.

The one thing I am clueless about is swing weight. Planning on doing some research on swing weight tonight to see what I can learn.

I thought this would be a fun little side project to do while I wait for the snow to melt here in Iowa (another 3-4 inches coming down today).

Any input or advice is appreciated!

3 Likes

I’ve gotten interested in club building and repair work over the past couple of winters. It’s a good winter project for those of us who don’t live in an area where you can play golf during the winter.

While I’m certainly no expert, I think I know enough to be dangerous. I’ve found YouTube to be a really invaluable resource.

I recently finished reshafting my modern irons with some new shafts. I didn’t get heavily involved in the swingweight aspect, so if my clubs are off, then I’ll end up redoing them. But it certainly was an enjoyable way to spend some free time during the winter.

Steel shafts usually just pop off with enough heat (usually when overheated), graphite you definitely need a shaft puller. Obviously you gotta work the flame to avoid discoloration and on that note if you are not saving the old shaft heat the shaft after you cut the ferrule its just easier and there’s less chance to discolor the head. Don’t cool anything in water. I’d get a wire brush attachment for hand held electric drill to clean the hosel . score the tips before applying epoxy, stuff like that. Sorry if you already knew all that.

are you cutting the shafts the as well? if so you need the manufacturers specs on tipping etc. I dont know if its the practice everywhere but the pro shop I used to work in used grinding disks

1 Like

Good info. I was worried about discoloring, I dont plan on saving the old shafts so I will for sure go that route.

As far as scoring the the tips goes, is that just roughing them up a bit with sandpaper to help the epoxy hold? Or am I off on that?

Golfworks.com has been very useful so far on researching. And the few supplies I need seem to to be reasonably priced.

All of this. This is the crux of it. Swing weight more about the head, not shaft IIRC. Tipping and trimming affects kick point.

Yah you’re directly on point. I’m by no means a pro at any of this but when i was younger the head pro let me work on all my clubs in his shop for free and even had me repair tinker with his or the staff’s. everything i mentioned above is something I definitely messed up before. also you may need acetone don’t quote me on that though (theres a chemical for plastics to polish ferrules that needed to be sanded down)

Yah other than using the swing weight scale in the shop I’ve never measured swing weight another way. (conversion charts?) again the manufacturer info will have the stock swing weight tho. good point.

Good to hear. I do have acetone on my list for that reason.

Like I said, clueless on swing weight. I am putting the MCC +4 grips on and I understand its a bit heavier. I have read about needing to adjust the weight when you have a heavier grip, but again, not sure it would effect me and I doubt I would notice it. I dont anticipate messing with it at all. If I feel off once its said and done I can take it into a shop for that.

There are several YouTube channels with some very good informational videos on club repair/building. Check out McGolf Custom Clubs, Ryan Barath, and Hireko Golf.

2 Likes

Lead tape or lead powder down the hosel. Easier to get things rechromed when jacking with swingweight if you care about pretty.

1 Like

I feel like the effect woulf be answered by a fitter and not the club maker, however there isa couple great nerd videos on youtube ive watched from the various tour van club makers and one guy had a specific order of doing things so he could make easy swing weight adjustments at the end. Might have involved the amount of tape and or having to blow the grips on. but thats getting away from my pay grade lol. I just love working on my clubs especially putters. I have a cameron 5s that is a frankensten 30" sand in the shaft 40 gram weights and lead tape under the grip, not textbook at all and scotty would have a stroke, but I enjoy tinkering and like how the putter feels.

1 Like

@JohnnyPanton Nice I will check those out.

@GRWhitehead I love me some lead tape! I did a putter fitting recently, and was fit with heavy weights. Rather than jump then gun I loaded up on my current putter to get a feel before I pull the trigger on a new putter.

@Gunga_Galunga good call, would make sense that would be a fitter. I good friend of mines husband works one of the tour trucks and I have had the chance to meet him a couple times. He invited me out to the John Deere this summer to spend some time on the truck with him, really hope I can make it work out.

1 Like

That sounds awesome that would be sick.

What have you guys used for epoxy? GolfWorks seems to have a ton of options.

This seems very simple and clean…
https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-maximum-strength-tour-set-plus-epoxy/p/vb1033/

But all the videos I have watched go the route of mixing it yourself such as this…
https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-high-strength-epoxy-packets/p/vb1007/

Use the slow setting epoxy. The quick set firms up too quickly for me. It’s also a pain to have to mix epoxy for each club if you’re using the quick set epoxy.

It’s also easy to mix your own epoxy - set out masking tape, pour equal parts of resin and hardener, then use a toothpick or popsicle stick to mix it together for about a minute. I also mix the glass shafting beads into the epoxy.

I have a 3 and a 5 year old, so I’ve been spending a lot of time this winter in the basement!

4 Likes

I build all my own clubs. I definitely second the suggestions of using GolfWorks and watching McGolf Custom Clubs on youtube. Swing weighting is more of an art than a science. You can weigh everything out and expect a certain weight but still end up having to put a tip weight in or lead tape. You kind of have to learn by doing in my experience. Getting a loft/lie machine was a game changer for me. It’s unbelievable how off irons/wedges can be from factory.

4 Likes

I would be all over that.

1 Like

steel is easy, especially if they’re taper tips. Which brings me to my first point, make sure you get the right tip size for your irons.

Pretty sure I got the right tip size, but I bought the shafts on eBay so we will find out next week when they arrive.

I got into building clubs two years ago when golfsmith went down - did a huge bundle deal where I got their shaft puller, swing weight, MOI matching tool, frequency analyzer, loft lie bender, etc along with a handful of launch monitors and clubs for a nice price. Spent two winters working on my own clubs using youtube and golfwrx “pros” as a guide. Once you get the hang of the process I don’t think you really need everything I have… especially if your working on steel shafts. The truly best thing to have is the swingweight scale unless you have a really good feel for those that like swing weighted clubs. I prefer MOI matched sets which takes some doing and lots of swings to get the right feel. Hardest part is the actual weighting - I’ve gotten to the point where I’ll just use lead tape for a couple months when the season starts to make sure I like the wieights and the I’ll oull the heads and tip weight them. I use Brampton 20/20 epoxy but there are lots of options. Other thing I’ll say is loft and lie are pretty easily done if you take your clubs into a 2nd swing type store that just has the nice Mitchell’s sitting out - ended up selling the one I got from golfworks because I never used it and the stores didn’t seem to mind me maki g my own adjustments as long as I knew how to use it.

5 Likes