Chicagoland Matchplay Tournament 2023 - 2CGC Team Qualifier

Whoever plays @baldvinny next, don’t believe him when he downplays his game. Solid and straight all day, got up and down quite a few times and made several clutch putts. I didn’t realize until too late that I never stood a chance.

3 Likes

Hey man that was an awesome day on the course. I didn’t realize how well we played until I looked at the scorecard once I got home. Both of us played some really good golf “Just couldn’t make any putts”

Thanks again hope to run into you guys at future events.

2 Likes

@ChiFFI and I played our match today at Pine Meadows on a rainy 40 degree day with punched greens. We were joined by @TCRBrad and Matt. Best part of playing in such lovely weather is the company of other golf sickos.

I ended up winning 2&1. We play together in the breakfast ball league at Syd so knew each others game. @ChiFFI had an off front 9 while I built a 4 up lead despite losing the 1st. However on the back he started throwing darts and making putts. Highlight came on 16, after making a 2 footer for birdie on 15 to bring the match to 2 down. With a 25 foot putt for par he says, and I quote, “Come on! You are due for one of these”…drains it, no doubt. He was walking in putts on a few of the holes on the back 9.

@notorious83 looks like you are next

8 Likes

Gotta also shoutout Abe’s LETHAL 3wood, which despite the 30°s wind chill stayed red hot all day.

4 Likes

Time to do some “handicap adjustment.” @TheAbeFroman looking forward to it

2 Likes

6 Likes

Lost my game for a few holes there on the front and burned a couple shorties, but @TheAbeFroman closed the window a handful of times and started pounding the driving iron and 3W. Par save on 10 from the 18th rough - punch under tree line, wedge, putt from deep was huge.
Think you called it out Sunday - we seemed to have made more 10-15 ft putts than 3-5.
Watching for a deep tourney run.

2 Likes

Linking this here as our matchplay tournament will feed into this event.

3 Likes

@Awol and I got our first round match in today at Calumet CC and we were joined by @TheAbeFroman @kmcswain on this beautiful fall day. Conditions were pretty favorable for fall golf. Wind was light and no rain as predicted which made for a great round of golf.

The match started in my favor and I was able to keep things rolling with some consistently decent play. I showed a glimpse of how quickly my golf game can blow apart by crushing a driver towards the pond but safely into a prime position on hole 3. With 120 yards in from there I went on to make a 6(no hazards either). From there on out I also basically had a stroke a hole to work with. Found just enough fairways and greens to keep the lead building into 9 I was 4 up. Started the back strong to bump up to 5 up and then hole 13 was especially rude to awol where I also closed it out at 6 up.

Great round with great group of guys as always! I’m fortunate i got Awol on an off day, he will definitely get revenge on me in the future.

6 Likes

Was a fun match. Course was in great condition as well. Enjoyed the good company and the shenanigans of 13. Still recovering from that.

2 Likes

A tree, a true mud ball, and sweet relief, that hole had it all. The most fun I’ve had on a golf course in 43 degrees.

1 Like

Got the match in today with Tim out at Edgebrook. A frost delay coupled shortened our match slightly but I ended up winning 4 up. It was great playing with Tim, who has a great great swing and had the match lead early on. I made a couple birdies on the back 9 though and was able to pull away. Looking forward to playing some more golf with Tim in the future.

4 Likes

Screen-Shot-2018-07-11-at-14.36.54-630x425
Actual footage of Chris after his tee shot on dormie.

3 Likes

@TeddyPargame with a decisive victory today in the wind and cold.

3 Likes

That had to have been an interesting time today out there.

1 Like

The big right miss in that wind comically went from a banana to a full on plantain.

Ted hits it straight. Be like Ted.

1 Like

Every now and then the finder is working. They barely got out of my shadow in the wind but we could find em.

Was a fun match and probably the coldest weather I’ve ever played in, and i make a point to play all 12 months as long as there’s no snow.

1 Like

@CMal and @pfeil41 once y’all play my esteemed 190 yard driver carry await your victor.

1 Like

So to feed into the Ope-in we need to have concluded our tournament by early August?

Something like that.

1 Like