Cal Club

I am not woke on this course and simply have enjoyed a variety of photo essays of the place and apparently it has some unique routing.

Give me the goods.

What do you want to know? Photos tell a lot. The vibe is so good there. Awesome clubhouse staff, fun caddies, sweet weather.

Great members, wonderful course, wonderful staff and hospitality. Get there!

1 Like

I was fortunate enough to get out there earlier this year to play the course and spend a good amount of time with their Superintendent (Javier Campos). I wrote a long-form interview about him and his work managing the course for @thefriedegg. Javier has an incredible story. If you have time and are interested give it a read.

In terms of the routing, holes 3-12 are definitely where it’s at. Some of the back nine gets a little switchbacky and monotonous IMO. With that being said, the club is incredible on the whole and if you ever have the opportunity to go you absolutely should.

3 Likes

High on my list to play this year. Just got invite to play in an invitational tourney at Ballyneal too. Gonna be a good year.

2 Likes

I spent a week living in the clubhouse this summer. The place is sublime. Fescue great, firm and fast, and a ton of fun. Has an awesome set off par 3’s. Vibe is a dude’s place (Steph Curry’s home club). Bar is awesome. 3-12 is certainly the best stretch overall. Kyle Phillips redesigned the course and added an awesome cape hole. 13, 14, 15, and 17 are parallel to each other so routing wise not overally exciting but still all very good holes. I’ll try to get some of my photos up, but most photo essay’s do the place justice pretty well. Although some of the un photographed holes are equally stunning

2 Likes

8 Likes

gross

Just love that closing stretch of 16, 17, 18.

1 Like

Hey, there’s the house where I grew up, up there on the hill. Always knew there was a golf course there, obviously, but not having grown up with the game I had no idea what kind…

2 Likes

I loved Cal Club. One of the best golf experiences I’ve ever had. The members I played with were extremely friendly, staff didn’t act like I was an imposter that didn’t belong. Vibe on the first tee was great with a bunch of people milling around, no tee times, and the pros out there helping to set up the games.

I’ve never played anywhere else that was basically wall-to-wall short grass. It might have my favorite par 3 ever in #12, which with the back left pin I thought had some very redan-y qualities. #2 was a fantastic, stout par 4.

I thought there was great variety of holes that played left/right (#1, #4) and right/left (#9, #14) short 3s (#15) and long 3s (#12) short 4s (#7) and long 4s (#9) , short 5s (#1) and long 5s (#4). I only played it once and with a bit of thought I can still remember every single hole out there. There are blind shots that make you uncomfortable, and holes where it all lays out in front of you and tempts you to have a rip.

My only regret was not getting a big swag bag before the round because the shop was closed up when we finished.

I’m horrible at taking pictures, but this is off the back of #6 green that shows how open the entire property is. I think it’s #10 and #11 on the left there.

8 Likes

played it 2 days ago. What’s lost in many of the photos is the GLORIOUS piece of property it sits on. Everything said here is spot on, but on the 400 or so acres, the rise and fall from one hole to the next is sometimes extreme. There’s a low spot behind the 11 green that is a good 50-60 feet lower than the tee on 14.

Key points I remember

• very little rough - love the whole vibe of golden age courses
  • no tee times
  • beautifully simple tee markers
  • INCREDIBLE clubhouse
  • rooms above the clubhouse are awesome
  • greens were punched, so we didn’t get to experience what I bet are amazing contours
  • bunker complexes were spectacular
  • great logos…
  • a men’s golf club, but without the real over the top designation so
1 Like

There is no way cal club is 400 acres, that would be the most valuable piece of land in SF

yeah, no idea how much land they sold off after buying the 400 acres back in the day.

As the resident looker-into of things like this, I present:

4 Likes

you’re missing a LITTLE of the land they own, but 200 acres seems about right. I wonder how much they got for the land they sold, and when they sold it.

also, even double that size, wouldn’t be worth a TON of money, relative to where it’s located in the metro area. Right under the flight path from SFO, and local neighborhood is meh.

Yeah they own a bit on the other side of the highway in those trees. ~200 acres is about right in total. I agree, be fun to see the purchase price for all of it back in 1918 vs sale price of what they dumped vs current value.

1 Like

Speaking of SFO, was it noticeable? I remember flying in a few weeks back for work and we came right down the valley to take a left u turn into the runway. Got up and close looks at all the clubs from the air

if you mean were the planes noticable…yes. Not like DFW golf noticable, or Minikahda here in Mpls noticable, but I caught myself looking up 4-5 times