Burnt of the game?

Posting as I’m curious (also sure) if anyone has ever been straight up burnt of the game and what you did to come back with that “love” for the game? (besides going lefty)

The past year I’ve been straight up grinding to break 80. Gotten close with a handful of 81s and 82s. I’ve broken 80 before but for some reason I’ve become OBSESSED with breaking it. I shot a 94 the other day where I truly grinded over every shot and felt miserable after. Was pale and had bags under my eyes when I got home. Finally had the epiphany that I was not having fun any more on the course.

I’ve decided to not play a round for at least a month. Was curious if anyone has gone through anything similar and what you did to get better, along with maintaining the “fun”? Thanks for the tips and thoughts.

2 Likes

I got burnt every freaking time I played this summer and did not wear spf 50 sunscreens

18 Likes

Stop being so focused on score.
Just relax and have fun. You may find you break through. Or not.
Take a break if you arent having fun.
But to me it would be better to have fun and not grind. Play a scramble with friends. Play with half set. Play a different tee. Break 80 from reds.

12 Likes

I actually have experienced this. I sometimes find myself completely engulfed in the game. Playing, practicing, reading, watching, listening, etc. Constantly thinking about my swing thoughts. It felt like a pretty dark place.

Last summer I played almost every day and after a trip to the west coast with my best friend, and I got back and had to step away from the game for a bit. It helped. I went fishing and hiking just trying to mix it up. I came back after a month and found that I had not regressed too much.

I had to realize that score is far less important than being outside playing the best sport on the planet. Play some music, wear a hoody, grab a bev. You’ll reinvigorate your love for the game.

1 Like

I believe we have a thread for this, join the movement/revolution/pyramid scheme

4 Likes

Who are you and how did you get Q-Schools password?

9 Likes

Sometimes I get this way about halfway through the year, but then quickly realize that it is mid-summer in Ohio and don’t have the luxury to be burnt out and get back into it. There is plenty of time to not play golf once November comes around, so we have the built in 5ish month break to reignite interest.

I can totally understand how someone living in a year-round golf environment might have to take some time off. As comes with most good things, just need a break.

1 Like

Does not compute

5 Likes

I quit golf for four years after school (I played college golf). Eventually you just get interested again.

Set mini goals to keep yourself interested. Like @Q-school said, less about score, more about quick achievements. Hit every green on a par 3. Didn’t get it? Hit all but 1. Adjust accordingly to keep you interested.

A great book to read is called “Pleasure of Small Motions” by Bob Fancher. It’s a billiard focused book but a large majority of it is based on the mental side and staying engaged. You started doing something because you enjoyed small things like hitting a great chip, that perfect line on a putt, a piercing drive that splits the fairway. Try to get back to enjoying those things again.

3 Likes

Is there an RGC chapter near you?

1 Like

Yup. With a shorter season than most I sometimes find I’m forcing myself to play even when I don’t want to.

Got to the point this summer that I hung the clubs up for a couple weeks and when I came back the joy/passion were stronger than ever.

Go out with a half set. Play some holes as a one club challenge. Hit driver off the deck.

Take the pressure of the score for a while and have fun.

3 Likes

There have been a lot of good suggestions on how to make the game feel “fresh”. I think it just boils down to deviating from your standard operating procedure every once in awhile (and remember that no one is making you play 18 holes, go ahead and quit after 6 or 9 or 12). That, or try to rekindle the original reason you love the game. Personally, my favorite thing is to get up and down from baaaad spots. If I’m feeling burnt out, I’ll just treat the tee to green part of the game as a means to an end, my real journey starts around the green.

Here are a few other suggestions:

• Play by yourself and try to have a few silent holes where you actively try not to talk (out loud) to yourself
  • Challenge yourself to club up from a comfy yardage and learn how to hit 50-75% chippy shots
  • Play two balls, one being yourself and the other being a tour player of your choosing
  • Leave the driver at home
  • Leave the putter at home
  • Leave half your clubs at home
  • Focus on something other than score (e.g. I want to be fully committed to at least 80% of my shots, I want to get every approach at least pin high)
1 Like

If you are keeping score and the round goes south early on, just rip up the scorecard and enjoy the rest of the round for what it is, a leisurely walk, hit and giggle. Enjoy the time with yourself, or friends.

3 Likes

This. Ultimate fun-injection.

Do you ever play match play games with the group you usually play with?

Personally love playing Greensomes. It adds a different element of strategy to the game.

1 Like

Loved these suggestions. Went out Sunday and played from the ladies tee with a high handicap friend of mine. Didn’t think about score much for first time in a while. Turned on a speaker and drank some cold ones. Was fun.

2 Likes