BMW PGA @ Wentworth

Anyone going? It’s as good a field as I can remember for a European Tour event. Southeast England has been dry and relatively warm recently, if they want to I’m sure they could firm up the course. There might just be a little rain on Sunday.

Matt Wallace and Rory are setting the early pace, Hovland has just made two bogeys in front of Captain Padraig to drop to even. I don’t think there’s any wind today so a couple of people could go really low.

Speaking of Captain Paddy…WTF happened to him after winning majors, then devoting his life to tinkering with his golf swing, then dropping off the face of the planet?

1 Like

Went today. Course looked as good as I have ever seen it and the field was impressive. Great to see so many Americans coming over.

Impressed by Hovland… he had a lot to deal with but seems to have a great demeanour and a very strong all round game.

1 Like

He got the putting yips. Talked about it on the Feherty show.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’ll be there Saturday. First time at Wentworth, so fairly psyched/keen for a jaunt around the property

damn guys, that looks great. I woke up at 4 am today to watch. I love this event.

Had a great day on site, by far the busiest I’ve seen Wentworth. Finau seems very popular here, seeing him in the same group as Hovland was a bonus. Young Hov seemed to have a lot of scrambling so evidently wasn’t at his best but still pulled some rabbits from hats.

Another highlight was hearing Shane Lowry calling himself a ‘f***ing idiot’ after a bad approach on 9. He got up and down for par, obviously.

Crappy weather forecast for tomorrow which should make it interesting. 2017 was wet at the end and Noren won after posting an early 62.

Interesting note on Lowry. My caddies in Ireland were all pretty pissed he skipped the Irish Open and said something alone the lines, 3 different caddies independently, that’s he’s gotten a bit too big for his britches. Surprised to hear that. This was a decision made before winning The Open at Portrush as well…and it obviously paid off

I’m a little confused. Lowry has never missed the Irish Open since he won it in '09…

Maybe he isn’t playing 2020 then? I don’t know didn’t fact check it. No idea.

I was just noting it as it sounded like something one of us would say, certainly me. “I can’t believe I’ve just done that, you f***ing idiot” from the middle of the fairway. It was innocent enough.

1 Like

I’m very pleased for Willett. He’s had loads of negative press and comments since his Masters win, he drifted out into the wilderness, has had injuries and now is back to his near best.

It would have been very easy to fade into obscurity like some other one-off or “fluke” major winners.

2 Likes

Agreed on this. His recent podcast with Andrew Cotter (legend) for the European Tour was a great listen- http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/news/newsid=376099.html

Seems like a very likable dude.

1 Like

A definite downside to the Fall move is that the field is 120 this year, when it used to be 150. It didn’t even get into the Challenge Tour graduates – and incidentally, it doesn’t speak too well to the European Tour exemption categories that the grads are all behind Michael Campbell on the alternate list.