Best/Worst Meal of 2021

Best: Tasting menu at Albi in DC. My wife and I went there for our anniversary in August. We both love Middle Eastern food, so it was perfect. Lots of small plates, so it’s hard to recap the whole thing, but the lamb kebob was probably the highlight. It was also our first nice dinner in like two years, which made it even better.

Worst: Pizza from Chirios Pizza, in Nellysford, VA. We went out to Wintergreen in May with family, and picked up pizza from that place one day before heading back up the mountain. It wasn’t terrible in a unique way, it was just really bad pizza.

1 Like

I remembered my best

Veggie burger on the Meet in Gastown patio before going to get my second vax. Food took forever to get out and I ate it was too fast because I was worried about getting to my appointment on time (even though I don’t think they really checked the time). Was a super beautiful sunny day and I got my shot in the convention centre which is located by the water and there was such a feeling of hope at the time.

Second best - this ice cream

Worst - trying to make oatmeal after my microwave broke

6 Likes

Best meal:

Jazz + Soju in Baltimore City.

• Double fried (massive) chicken wings
  • KFC (Korean Fried Chicken) with some magic sauce they put on it, veggies, and rice.

Worst meal
-My aunt burnt the soul out of the ribeye steaks she cooked for @AmandatoryGolfFriday and I a couple weeks ago.

2 Likes

Terrible homecooked meals are the worst, unless it’s someone you’re comfortable enough with to be like “I’m not definitely not eating that.” I really hate to hurt someone’s feelings, especially if they just cooked for me, so I’ve choked down some really, really bad food over the years.

2nd Majordomo Meat & Fish.

Not the absolute best meal I had this year (would give that to Milos on the other side of Palazzo) but absolutely the one that made me say “whoa this is both amazing and extremely different from what I’m used to”

1 Like

Town Hearth is so good. The same guys also own Neighborhood Services, which is a really good spot as well and a little better price wise. The Town Hearth vibe is definitely dialed up quite a few notches and you described it really well.

2 Likes

Short ribs at The Rabbit Hole in Colorado Springs were memorable.

My first cookout shake that was filled with styrafoam (shout-out Citadel Mall in Charleston) was probably the worst.

1 Like

I’ll have to try it next time I’m then.

We went for a late dinner on a Saturday night which probably added to the vibe. At one point the entire restaurant started singing I Want it That Way and a waiter started pouring champagne into someone’s mouth. Definitely a scene! :joy:

Best meal - Probably Okeechobee Steak House in West Palm Beach with @2ndGuyStripeShow and @Big_RanDeer. Really solid steak house fare. I had French onion soup, a ribeye and some creamed spinach. I thought it was on par with Bern’s in Tampa.

Worst meal - Can’t recall eating anything I hated, but worst overall meal has to go to my post-round meal at Streamsong after walking Blue in 100 degree heat with @Big_RanDeer and @dshaddy. I likely had heat exhaustion and took one bite out of whatever I ordered before feeling like death and eventually getting sick. Had nothing to do with the quality of the food. Every other meal I’ve had there has been great. Good times.

6 Likes

It was the forced Emergen-C appetizer from the server.

2 Likes

Yep. Just dry, stale, flavorless heartburn with awful service. It makes me sad to see an icon in decline

2 Likes

Hahaha I came here to say exactly this.

3 Likes

Between having two kids under 8, covid stuff making it hard to go out to eat and get a sitter, I don’t think I had a truly memorable meal out in 2021.

The best thing I ate was the smoked and pulled pork tacos at a friends house. I smoked the butt and my friends wife made all the proper taco fixings: homemade tortillas, a salsa, and pickled veggies.

Worst by far was the awful dry stuffing my sister in law made at thanksgiving. Truly a horror show.

4 Likes

Best meal: Jeffrey’s of Austin. Their popover starters are out of this world. Best steak and wine list you will find anywhere.

Honorable Mention: Ippudo London- Shiromaru Classic Ramen
Adare Manor Carriage House- Seared Loin of Venison

Worst Meal: Any semi nice COVID to go fish or steak meal. By the time it gets home it’s not worth it. Those types of meals are meant to go from the grill to your plate!

2 Likes

Glad somebody already covered this. Lewis might be a contender for best BBQ in the nation. The mac and cheese, sausage, pulled pork are all outstanding, and the brisket is the best I’ve had anywhere.

Gotta split up best home-cooked and best restaurant experiences. For best home-cooked: my parents hired a Georgian lady named Maria to help look after my grandmother as she is no longer in great health. When Maria found out I used to live in Azerbaijan and had visited Georgia, and that I became a big fan of Georgian cuisine, she got very excited since most Americans have never been to that part of the world (much less find it on a map). So when I went home to visit a few months ago, she did a couple massive homemade Xachipuri’s.

Xachipuri is basically a bread boat filled to the brim with cheesy deliciousness, and then you dump an egg on top for its final stage of baking in the oven. After it’s done cooking, you take a fork and blend the egg in. Twist off the knobs on each end, dunk em in the middle and enjoy. Then let it rest while your mouth heals from the scalding hot cheese and by the time you can entertain the idea of more hot food, the cheesy-eggy ecstasy has firmed up just enough that you can slice it like a pizza. It’s incredible.

For anyone in the DC area or visiting, you can try one at Compass Rose or Supra. Several varieties at Supra.

For best restaurant experience, I gotta go with Reverie in Georgetown, DC. Michelin guide is missing out here. Chef Johnny Spero is a mad culinary genius. It’s a seafood centric tasting menu (two available: one at the bar, one at tables) and this fall’s was big on shellfish.

Although Reverie prides itself on Spanish-inspired seafood, they don’t shy away from the occasional protein. They brought back a duck dish for the first time in three years, which is and forever will be the best duck I have ever had.

Many restaurants outsource desserts or don’t give them as much love as the entrees. Not Reverie. The two we had were #1 and #2 of the whole year, which is saying something. The first was a custard that was layered under kiwi, strawberry, and some other stuff that is still a mystery to me. They build it in a bowl and then freeze a thin layer of ice over the top, which you have to break and then mix in to get after it. Colorful as it was delicious, and the ice chips added a texture to the fruits and custard that was unexpectedly awesome. 10/10/10/10.

Second dessert was like if Dippin Dots and The Sandlot kids conspired on s’mores and ice cream. That’s the only way I can describe this. Final dish of the night and I think my soul left my body because I have not loved a dessert the same way since then.

Picking these was an extremely tough call in what has been a stellar year for food. Honorable mentions to Grimaldi’s Pizza and Atoboy in NYC, Capital Grille, Compass Rose, Jaleo & roaming rooster in DC, High West and Cafe Terigo in Park City, The Consulate and Ecco in Atlanta, The Bottle in Huntsville AL, and literally every bite of food I had in Chicago. And my buddy Ryan’s chicken parm recipe which has sustained me through the dark days of no good Italian food in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.

WORST - and I mean absolute WORST, burn down the establishment and fire everyone award - goes to Cultivate Food & Coffee on Howell Mill Road in Atlanta, GA. Called in a breakfast order to go (standard stuff: veggie omelette, bacon egg & cheese sandwich, and a latte). Was told it could be picked up in 20 min. I arrived after 30 min, then waited another 40 min. When the food finally came out they still hadn’t poured the damn coffee and I was fuming so I just left. Got home to find the most burned, butchered and generally desecrated omelette I’ve ever had in my life.

Did I buy a Nest membership just now so I could add multiple pictures to this post and especially to roast this Cultivate crap from last spring? You bet I did. Jandy’s back, baby. Back with a vengeance for bad brunches. Ninety bucks is money well spent to warn all you decent people. I will see you all in the F1 thread.

13 Likes

Like a lot of the others, not big on worst meals. Probably something I ate a bar or drive thru spot while on the road for work.
Best meals:

Billy Can Cans in Dallas - my brother, sister, and their friend were in town from Annapolis. Billy’s has a great atmosphere and really good food and wine. My sister and their friend are both WSET level 2’s and were studying for their level 3’s. It made the wine pairing with dinner so much better hearing them bounce ideas off the somm. That’s a meal that really sticks out to me since it was great food, great atmosphere, and really great company.

Zavala’s BBQ in Grand Prairie - this is a spot pretty close to my office and is top 50 on Texas Monthly’s BBQ list. They do the ‘mexi-que’ style where the meats are smoked like standard texas BBQ, but everything has some Mexican flair. Getting fresh flour tortillas, pico, and salsa with a half pound of perfectly cooked brisket is really a game changer. I do think for all the BBQ places I’ve been that Zavala’s has the best brisket.

6 Likes

This has been popping up more lately and I need to get with the program. It’s a Texan’s two favorite foods so it’s a no-brainer. Panther City BBQ in Fort Worth is a similar style one what I’ve wanted to try. Looks awesome!

Best Meal (s):
Lou’s Full Serv in Jackson, MS
Filet, local vegetables, twice baked potato, maitre d’hotel butter, sherry redux. So good I put a bumper sticker on my Yeti.

Walkers Drive-In Jackson, MS
Veal and Lobster Kathy; free-range veal, white truffle risotto, sautéed asparagus, creamy Madeira wine sauce. Definitely want to try it with venison tenderloins at home.

Worst Meal;
2 days ago, Turkey Skillet from Defined Dish that my wife cooked. If you can’t make it taste good with Pancho’s White Queso and Mateo’s Salsa it needs to be taken out back and shot.

1 Like

This breaks my heart, you were ten minutes from the best hamburger in Indiana. And a cleaner bathroom.

3 Likes

I’m gonna need the name for the establishment that “serves the best hamburger in Indiana”. I’ll be in Columbus next week and will be giving this place a try

1 Like