Best value for money course you've played

Coming from the UK where the vast majority of our top courses are very accessible and relatively speaking not overly expensive, just wondered if there are any specific courses that stand out as phenomenal value for money starting with my personal choice, Silloth on Solway at £65!!!

Off the top of my head, three stick out.

Los Verdes over near the South Bay in Los Angeles. Demand is high but if you get one of the first tee times of the day, you avoid the crowds and play a great Bell design with ocean views throughout for less than three figures. And a lot less than what those playing at nearby par 3 Terrenea or Trump National Los Angeles are paying for the same views.

Sweetens Cove. I don’t know what the rates are now, but when I played it I paid $50 to golf all day. I don’t know if I’ll ever see a better deal.

Jeffersonville. A Donald Ross design that has been revitalized over the years, plays terrifically and can be as low as around $20 if you walk during the week. Ideal municipal golf for many reasons.

2 Likes

Hotchkiss golf course. $20 to play all day during the week on a 9 hole Seth Raynor. Course is always quiet and awesome vibe. I’ll probably pay the young adult membership (expires for over 30s) next year for $275.

1 Like

Sweetens

Metacomet in RI

Marion in Marion, MA

Simsbury Farms in CT

Northwood in CA

Campbell’s Scottish Highlands in NH

Sweetens

Mid Pines / Pine Needles in the off-season. $95 each.

2 Likes

Given the proximity to LA where there’s few solid offerings, and the terrific natural terrain - Rustic Canyon easily.

Sweetens

Always come off as a Bandon fan boy but for me it’s really damn hard to beat winter rates up there. They recently raised them from 75$ to 100$, in December and January but still ridiculously good value.

3 Likes

What’s the weather like then?

Springfield CC - $50

It’s a crap shoot. Could get 55 and sunny could get 40 and dumping rain. I’ve talked ad nauseum about being lucky to live close… but I just watch the weather then it’s a 3 1/2 hr drive.

1 Like

I thought CommonGround for $48 for Colorado Golf Assoc. members was pretty good. Riverdale Dunes at $37 Mon-Fri might even be better. The Preserve at Walnut Creek at $44 ($41 for Westminster CO residents) isn’t bad either.

Played Bobby Jones GC in Atlanta last week for the first time since the big overhaul. For those not in the loop – Bobby Jones was basically a run down 18 hole muni near midtown ATL that they just recently turned into a reversible 9-hole course and added some beautiful practice facilities. Course is wide open with little to no rough, few trees and awesome green complexes + some views of downtown.

Can’t emphasize enough the fun factor. Hard to lose a ball, don’t have to be perfect off the tee but have to hit it to the correct part of the greens to have a chance to score well. Paid $41 with range balls included.

3 Likes

The correct answer is Culver Academies Golf Course because it’s a really cool course and costs Free.99. Have to jump through a couple hoops to get on and also get to a small town in Indiana, but you can’t beat the price.

2 Likes

Former colleague of mine went to school there and said it had a sweet golf course! The idea of a high school, if that’s what you can call the place, having a nice golf course was mind blowing to me.

Four Mile Ranch in Canon City, CO

Extremely fun and quirky course with lots of movement and elevation changes. Rarely busy and can play 36 holes in a day for $100 with cart or less with online teeoff deals and/or walking and/or weekdays.

Aiken Golf Club, SC - $20 walking.
Arizona National Golf Club, AZ - $18 cart included was pretty good value too. Aiken is a better golf course though.

Barnbougle’s some pretty damn good golf for $109 or $140 for all day (USD $62 / $96)

What hoops need to be jumped? I have a good friend from KC who went to Culver but doesn’t live out here anymore. I’m only 3 hours away and would make that drive any day. Hell that & Warren would be a nifty weekend trip.

1 Like

Your buddy should be able to get you on by calling the facilities office (find on this page). Even if he’s unavailable, calling/emailing the office and saying that you’d like to come out and see the course worked for me. I sent a quick email last summer about being interested in golden age architecture/Langford-Moreau, and they got back to me pretty quick saying I could play on a random Saturday.

1 Like